Author Topic: Do You Like Beans?  (Read 28702 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Do You Like Beans?
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »
Merci David !

Find out if they still exist, OK ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2008, 12:23:39 pm »
You know, that's weird you asked that because I seem to remember a brand of beans called Bettermost when I was a kid. I'm probably confused and remembering something else, but it sure seems like I remember seeing those. If I saw them for sale at the grocery now, I'd DEFINATELY buy them! :)

This is really interesting David!  I had been under the impression that BetterMost was a fictitious brand.  It would be interesting to see examples of the original, real packaging of BetterMost beans.  It might be an interesting research project.  And, then we as Brokies and BetterMostians can go out and collect vintage BetterMost cans if they exist.
 ;D

Maybe BetterMost really is like the situation with "Old Rose".  It seems that Old Rose is a discontinued whiskey brand... or a famous old distillery that went out of business.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 02:54:31 am »
This is really interesting David!  I had been under the impression that BetterMost was a fictitious brand.  It would be interesting to see examples of the original, real packaging of BetterMost beans.  It might be an interesting research project.  And, then we as Brokies and BetterMostians can go out and collect vintage BetterMost cans if they exist.
 ;D

Maybe BetterMost really is like the situation with "Old Rose".  It seems that Old Rose is a discontinued whiskey brand... or a famous old distillery that went out of business.

Well, like I said Amanda, I SEEM to remember them. The first time I noticed them in the movie the name rang a vague bell. But it could purely be my imagination.... or my bad memory. :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 09:05:57 pm »

I remember some ancient discussions here and maybe back at imdb too about Old Rose.  And, I do recall once finding a teeny, tiny bit of information about an old, old distillery that was based in Chicago (I seem to recall that part), but that went out of business a really long time ago.  I also have a vague memory of folks finding an image online of an old, vintage shot glass with the (real life) Old Rose logo on it.  But, for some reason I'm having trouble finding info on it at the moment.  I just ran some google and yahoo searches and didn't come up with any hits this time. 

As for BetterMost, I always really thought it was made up.  But, I'd love to be proven wrong!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 09:10:59 pm »
I remember some ancient discussions here and maybe back at imdb too about Old Rose.  And, I do recall once finding a teeny, tiny bit of information about an old, old distillery that was based in Chicago (I seem to recall that part), but that went out of business a really long time ago.  I also have a vague memory of folks finding an image online of an old, vintage shot glass with the (real life) Old Rose logo on it.  But, for some reason I'm having trouble finding info on it at the moment.  I just ran some google and yahoo searches and didn't come up with any hits this time. 

As for BetterMost, I always really thought it was made up.  But, I'd love to be proven wrong!

Old Rose isn't real? Because I seem to remember drinking that brand years ago! lol

Oh lord, now I'm REALLY confused! :-\

Yes, let's do a google search and research and see what we come up with! It could be interesting. :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 08:38:31 pm »
Why Old Rose came up ?

Is that the booze Ennis and Jack was drinking ?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2008, 10:04:27 pm »
Why Old Rose came up ?

Is that the booze Ennis and Jack was drinking ?

Yes, when Ennis and Jack are on their last camping trip on the evening when Jack says he misses Ennis so much "he can hardly stand it"... they're shown passing a bottle of whiskey back and for that has an "Old Rose" label on it.

Old Rose isn't real? Because I seem to remember drinking that brand years ago! lol

Oh lord, now I'm REALLY confused! :-\

Yes, let's do a google search and research and see what we come up with! It could be interesting. :D

Well, there are real brands out there with the world "Old" involved.  There's Old Crow, Old Whiskey River, Old Overholt, Old Rip VanWinkle, Anchor Old Potrero and Old Granddad. The only one of this list I've tried is Old Granddad (which is incredibly strong, 100 proof!). But, truly, as far as I can tell there's no current version of Old Rose out there on the market (unless I'm just totally not hitting on it doing google searches).

More research on this would be great! 8)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2008, 10:12:40 pm »
Here are a few interesting whiskey websites that discuss different brands.  None of them seem entirely comprehensive.

http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/

http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/p/whiskey_brands.htm

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/brands.html

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2008, 10:15:12 pm »
I can't find anything about BetterMost beans.  However, there is a B&M brand baked beans:  http://www.bgfoods.com/bm/bm_products.asp

Yummmm. :P

8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 11:36:22 am »
Amanda, you sure do have some interesting polls and threads!!! I am glad I am finding new parts of Bettermost. Sometimes I get stuck on the same places when there is so much to discover here. Anyway, I voted for Green Beans and that is for Green Bean Casserole - I love that!!! I also voted Black Eyed Peas and Navy Beans. I do also like Baked Beans. And Kidney Beans are great in chili as well as in 3 bean salad. Here is something interesting I did one year in my garden. I planted the usual things like Green Beans, Pole Beans, and Yellow Wax Beans. I had corn growing that year and in case people don't know corn can provide a great thing for beans to climb on. Anyway, I had some dried beans from the grocery store - there were Navy Beans, Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas and some others. I planted some of these to see what would happen. And guess what? They came up and produced big plants with lots of beans.