Author Topic: Short interview with Vincent Fantauzzo (creator of Heath' portrait)  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Here's short interview piece with Vincent Fantauzzo, the artist who painted Heath' portrait for the Australian Archibald prize.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=7124709&ch=4226715&src=news

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Short interview with Vincent Fantauzzo (creator of Heath' portrait)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:10:58 am »
Thanks for that, Chrissi. It's nice to know that the artist is giving it to Heath's mother. And Heath was right....it should've won.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:27:21 am »
I want to say thankyou as well.I did not originally like the painting.Now having seen the artist and having it explained I like it more.Funny how when you understand something you are more accepting of it.I did not realise that it was meant to represent what Heath should keep private and what he should tell,so that it became public knowlege.
It still made me sad,all over again,thinking that he was so fragile really.The critical accolades that he both accepted and deserved,brought with them the attention he so disliked,and may ultimately have contributed to his fragile state and demise.That and the depths of emotion and reserves he used ,bringing difficult characters to life.Completely draining.
It was nice to think of him winking at the end of the sitting,I can just picture that.Also lovely to know that in this money buys everything world,the artist is giving the painting to his mother.That renewed my faith in people again.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:05:33 am »
Thanks for posting that Chrissi. How wonderful that he's giving it to his mum.

I want to say thankyou as well.I did not originally like the painting.Now having seen the artist and having it explained I like it more.Funny how when you understand something you are more accepting of it.I did not realise that it was meant to represent what Heath should keep private and what he should tell,so that it became public knowlege.
It still made me sad,all over again,thinking that he was so fragile really.The critical accolades that he both accepted and deserved,brought with them the attention he so disliked,and may ultimately have contributed to his fragile state and demise.That and the depths of emotion and reserves he used ,bringing difficult characters to life.Completely draining.
It was nice to think of him winking at the end of the sitting,I can just picture that.Also lovely to know that in this money buys everything world,the artist is giving the painting to his mother.That renewed my faith in people again.

I have felt this too. Very well said optom.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 11:50:18 am »
Thanks for that, Chrissi. It's nice to know that the artist is giving it to Heath's mother. And Heath was right....it should've won.

L

Yeah, I also thought is nice he'll give it to Heath' mother.

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:02:56 am »
Yeah, I also thought is nice he'll give it to Heath' mother.

Yes,it´s a good decision on his part,very sensitive.   :)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.