Author Topic: Yankee or Dixie?  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Yankee or Dixie?
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:07:33 pm »
Here's a quiz based on how you pronounce words and on words you use.

I scored 76% Dixie. I expected it to be higher than that.

http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Yankee or Dixie?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:25:03 pm »

83% (Dixie).  Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

:laugh:

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:26:29 pm »
83% (Dixie).  Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

:laugh:

Me?? I don't know!   :laugh:   ???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:04:56 pm »
It said that I was 61% Dixie. I have to laugh, because this program may be on to something.

My dad's family is from Ohio and western PA, and my grandmother was born in Germany, and I grew up in a small town in Texas.  So the 61% Dixie score just may be right!

;D

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 10:25:32 pm »
It said that I was 61% Dixie. I have to laugh, because this program may be on to something.

My dad's family is from Ohio and western PA, and my grandmother was born in Germany, and I grew up in a small town in Texas.  So the 61% Dixie score just may be right!

;D

Sounds like it's right on target!  :laugh: :laugh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 10:57:15 pm »
73% (Dixie).  That is a pretty strong Southern score!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 11:04:19 pm »
All the Texas people are scoring pretty high on Dixie!

As a definite geographic location within the United States, "Dixie" is usually defined as the 11 Southern states that seceded to form the Confederate States of America. They are (in order of secession): South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee. This definition is strongly correlated with history and, in the minds of many Southerners, remains the traditional and emotional South.

In other ways however, the "location" and boundaries of Dixie have become, over time, more limited, vernacular, and/or mercurial. In popular mindset today, it is most often associated with those parts of the Southern United States where Old South traditions and legacies of the Confederacy live most strongly, and are most widely celebrated and remembered.

In this particular contemporary realm, there are no hard and fast lines. Roughly however, it might be an area which begins in southern Virginia (and perhaps the southern parts of West Virginia), then extends south into North Central Florida. On the northern boundary it sweeps west to take in Tennessee and southern parts of Kentucky, then continues through most of Arkansas, possibly taking in a small part of southern Missouri. On the southern end it would run through the Gulf states until the northern and southern boundary lines connect to include East Texas.

I think it has something to do with the Mason/Dixon line too.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 11:33:28 pm »
All the Texas people are scoring pretty high on Dixie!

As a definite geographic location within the United States, "Dixie" is usually defined as the 11 Southern states that seceded to form the Confederate States of America. They are (in order of secession): South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee. This definition is strongly correlated with history and, in the minds of many Southerners, remains the traditional and emotional South.

In other ways however, the "location" and boundaries of Dixie have become, over time, more limited, vernacular, and/or mercurial. In popular mindset today, it is most often associated with those parts of the Southern United States where Old South traditions and legacies of the Confederacy live most strongly, and are most widely celebrated and remembered.

In this particular contemporary realm, there are no hard and fast lines. Roughly however, it might be an area which begins in southern Virginia (and perhaps the southern parts of West Virginia), then extends south into North Central Florida. On the northern boundary it sweeps west to take in Tennessee and southern parts of Kentucky, then continues through most of Arkansas, possibly taking in a small part of southern Missouri. On the southern end it would run through the Gulf states until the northern and southern boundary lines connect to include East Texas.

I think it has something to do with the Mason/Dixon line too.  :)

Geographers note that the cultural area known as "Dixie" does include the areas which you noted: a boundary line running through central VA, up into the most of KY even into far the southern 1/8th of IN, down into the southern quarter of MO, the eastern half of AR and eastern third of TX. (in TX we know that the West begins in Ft Worth and the South peters out in Dallas  ;D) following the Gulf coastal line it swings thru central FL but excludes most of the peninsula. Geographers use several clues as to where Dixie ends and begins, some of the clues are as mundane as what is the largest Protestant denomination in towns in question. Dixie towns will tend to have Southern Baptist denoms as key churches. Although this is not exclusive. Key communities that would be markers as to location of the the boundaries of cultural Dixie would then be : Richmond VA, Charleston WV, Cincinnati OH, St Louis MO, Springfield MO, Little Rock AR, Dallas TX, Austin TX, Houston TX, and Jacksonville FL. If one draws a line using those cities as boundary points and encloses the area inside, one gets a idea, although inexact and subject to much dispute among Geographers, as to where is the land of Dixie. The boundaries of Dixie have changed much due to in migration from the north and west during the 1960's thru to today. And one is much more likely to get the "flavor" of Dixie in the small towns rather than the larger cities of the area.

The accent itself is not confined to the boundaries of "Dixie" which as you noted is not contiguous with the boundaries of the Confederate States of America. Neither is the "Dixie" accent dominant in every area or city inside the enclosure I suggested above. The roots of much of the mountain and southwestern accents come from the South, southerners were some of the earliest settlers in much of the area. So the Dixie accent can be heard in modified form in the mountain west. I have suggested on another thread that the accents that we heard in Brokeback Mountain from characters who were native Wyomingites (Twist, Delmar, Aguirre) was in fact a bit over the top, and was actually a Texas accent. The Texans in the movie (Newsomes, Malones) however were played to the hilt and the accent was I felt right on the money.

Alternatively, the "Dixie" accent can be hard to come by in some communities that are technically a part of Dixie: Austin TX is great example of an area where the traditional Texas twang has been massively diluted due to migrations from the north and west.

:) Glad you added this thread, accents have always fascinated me, and I travel a good bit and love to hear legit regional accents. I fear that many of the regional accents in North American are slowly disappearing. :'(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 08:34:39 am »

:laugh: From sunny Sydney, Australia, I scored:

58% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

;)   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 08:40:54 am »
:laugh: From sunny Sydney, Australia, I scored:

58% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

;)   :laugh:

don't worry, we will keep working on you and get that score up!!

;)

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 08:45:38 am »
55% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 08:57:54 am »
don't worry, we will keep working on you and get that score up!!

;)

Wah, thank ya kindly, ma'am. That's right neighbourly of y'all.

;)   ;)   ;)   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 09:00:14 am »
Wah, thank ya kindly, ma'am. That's right neighbourly of y'all.

;)   ;)   ;)   :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:

see? You are already getting a bit better!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 09:03:32 am »
With all of my ancestry being Québécois (2 or 3 generations ago) and my having never travelled south of Washington (except for that one trip to Houston/Dallas some 25 years ago), I don't understand how my score could possibly be ...

66% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!  ???   :-\
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 09:04:36 am »
With all of my ancestry being Québécois (2 or 3 generations ago) and my having never travelled south of Washington (except for that one trip to Houston/Dallas some 25 years ago), I don't understand how my score could possibly be ...

66% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!  ???   :-\

guilt by association??  ;D ;D 8)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 09:15:59 am »
Geographers note that the cultural area known as "Dixie" does include the areas which you noted: a boundary line running through central VA, up into the most of KY even into far the southern 1/8th of IN, down into the southern quarter of MO, the eastern half of AR and eastern third of TX. (in TX we know that the West begins in Ft Worth and the South peters out in Dallas  ;D) following the Gulf coastal line it swings thru central FL but excludes most of the peninsula. Geographers use several clues as to where Dixie ends and begins, some of the clues are as mundane as what is the largest Protestant denomination in towns in question. Dixie towns will tend to have Southern Baptist denoms as key churches. Although this is not exclusive. Key communities that would be markers as to location of the the boundaries of cultural Dixie would then be : Richmond VA, Charleston WV, Cincinnati OH, St Louis MO, Springfield MO, Little Rock AR, Dallas TX, Austin TX, Houston TX, and Jacksonville FL. If one draws a line using those cities as boundary points and encloses the area inside, one gets a idea, although inexact and subject to much dispute among Geographers, as to where is the land of Dixie. The boundaries of Dixie have changed much due to in migration from the north and west during the 1960's thru to today. And one is much more likely to get the "flavor" of Dixie in the small towns rather than the larger cities of the area.

I seem to remember, when I was in graduate school, one of my professors, himself a native North Carolinian, mentioning a book entitled South of the James Lies Dixie, meaning south of the James River in Virginia.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 09:44:26 am »
81% Dixie,  :laugh: When in reality it is only 75%
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 03:39:29 pm »
i scored 57% dixie.  that's how come me ended up here....in canada!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 04:05:38 pm »
57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Snap!

Not quite sure what being 57% Dixie means when you're from the northern bit of the UK, but I think I'm slowly being Americanised hanging round places like Bettermost....sometimes these days I even find myself forgetting to put a "u" in colour!  :o

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 06:53:25 pm »
I seem to remember, when I was in graduate school, one of my professors, himself a native North Carolinian, mentioning a book entitled South of the James Lies Dixie, meaning south of the James River in Virginia.

good point, I have heard this before about the James River divide. Most texts on regionalism in the US will list the criteria on how the regions are defined. And there are really not exact boundaries of the Dixie cultural region. Many geographers would prefer not putting either Appalachia or the Ozarks inside the Dixie region, but would give them their own separate regional identities.

When I travel, I know that I am back in Dixie when in the small towns I travel thru I see more than one Southern Baptist church and a Dairy Queen all on the mainstreet of the town!  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 09:07:20 pm »
My score was:

26% (Yankee). You show a very strong Yankee score.

This is not surprising since I've hardly ever even visited Southern states.  I was born in the Chicago area and raised in Connecticut (later college in Massachusetts and grad school in PA).  So, I'm pretty solidly a Yankee.

8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 09:17:32 pm »
39% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

Only 39%?    LOL     :laugh:

Heya Nutmeg,

I don't think it means that you're only 39% Yankee... I think the scores are a spectrum.  I think 100% means 100% Dixie and the closer you get to 0% the more Yankee you are.  It's almost like saying "on a scale from 1 to 10 how Yankee/ Dixie are you?  1 being Yankee and 10 being Dixie"... or something like that.

If you try the test a few times with an eye towards trying to get a Dixie score or a Yankee score, you'll see what I mean.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 09:34:50 pm »
I scored 47% Yankee. Not too surprising for a Boston boy.