Author Topic: Was Cassie in the Brokeback Mountain movie homophobic?  (Read 53868 times)

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
Re: Was Cassie in the Brokeback Mountain movie homophobic?
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2008, 10:20:19 am »
But remember:

"Ennis said he'd been putting the blocks to a woman who worked part-time at the Wolf Ears bar in Signal where he was working now for Stoutamire's cow and calf outfit, but it wasn't going anywhere and she had some problems he didn't want."

It seems Cassie had some issues.  With small towns being what they are and nothing a secret for long, maybe Cassie had worked her way through the more eligible guys in town and Ennis was her last hope... well, until Carl appeared.

That's a good point. It seems obvious from Cassie's conversation with Alma Jnr when she asks her if she thinks her daddy's the settling down type (and the answer seems to be that he is, but not with her), that Cassie's disappointed both by Ennis's reactions to their relationship and lack of interest in settling down, but at the same time I've always had the impression with Cassie that she feels hemmed in by a small town like Riverton and that she's looking for a way out. That aspect doesn't quite seem to gel though with her desperation to hang on to Ennis.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2008, 10:26:08 am »
Merci bliss !

If Cassie ask Jr. (Ennis' daughter) if her father is the    the settling down type         ,
can be be thought too that she (Cassie) thinks already that Ennis is gay or bi ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »
If Cassie ask Jr. (Ennis' daughter) if her father is the    the settling down type         ,
can be be thought too that she (Cassie) thinks already that Ennis is gay or bi ??

No, I don't think she does. I don't think she can figure out Ennis at all, which is what prompts her conversation with Alma Jr. I think maybe she thinks Jr. might have some insight into her father's reluctance to make a commitment, though asking his teenage daughter's probably not gonna get her the answers she wants.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2008, 08:18:12 pm »
Merci Bliiss !

But Cassie must have felt, at least, that Ennis was bi ?

Au revoir,
hugs!