Author Topic: Was Cassie in the Brokeback Mountain movie homophobic?  (Read 53732 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Was Cassie in the Brokeback Mountain movie homophobic?
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 08:15:31 pm »
Merci brokeplex!

Many men dump as you say... after sex; so do women dump me after sex!!

Do we know that Cassie has SEX with Ennis?? Any proof?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 08:17:32 pm »
I don't see any reason for Cassie to figure out that Ennis is gay. Not because she is too dumb to figure it out. But, a man being gay just wasn't something that she would probably consider until the evidence was in front of her face. He wasn't seeing any other men except for Jack, and they had their fishing trips "cover story". The society at large assumes that men are straight until proven otherwise. Maybe thru the years, she thought about Ennis, and maybe she wondered later on after she married Carl.  ???

Heya brokeplex!

I completely agree with this!  Especially what you said about society assuming a person is straight until proven otherwise (this most definitely happens to gay men and women).

I liked Cassie, just like I liked Alma, and I felt for her dissapointment in Ennis, just like I felt for Alma's broken heart. When I see that scene in the bus stop, I wanted Cassie to grab that plate of pie and rub it in Ennis's face, of course that is consistent with my feelings in the Thanksgiving kitchen scene, I wanted Alma to break that plate over Ennis's head. Those women were way too nice to Ennis.  >:(

LOL, yeah, Ennis did sort of walk all over both Cassie and Alma.  In the end, he was using both of them for reasons way beyond a genuine interest in a romance with either of them.  It's interesting how many promising love interests Ennis had in his life... including sweet and gorgeous Jack, devoted Alma and sweet and gorgeous Cassie. And, in the cases of Jack and Cassie these two made the first move when it comes to courting Ennis.  Poor Ennis, looking at his string of relationship opportunities and the ways that he sort of squanders all of them (one way or another... and yes, it's not all his fault of course)... it really makes me sad for him.  It also reveals just how tortured he was about connecting with people.

Do we know that Cassie has SEX with Ennis?? Any proof?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Yes, Ennis tells us that he had sex with her when he says he's dating a woman who he's "putting the blocks to."  It's a horribly sexist and degrading way to refer to Cassie. But, it does mean that he had sex with her.

And, yes, of course women dump men after sleeping with them all the time.  Even in BBM, Alma dumped Ennis.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 08:24:44 pm »
Thanks brown eyes!

Hey, wait a minute, may I say!!

Cassie is the one who forced Ennis! Remember her pulling Ennis's arm to come to the floor? Her, not him!

And as far, putting the blocks, does that simply mean he had to NOT communicate with her, since she was persisting still, and still, and still? That can't mean he did have sex with her, really ??

I have had many women like Cassie who have came on to me, and I assure you that I had NO sex with any of these!!
I am like Ennis!

What do you think about that, may I ask?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 08:32:57 pm »

As far as I understand "the blocks" is a breeding term that applies to animals.  I could be wrong but that's what I think he means in his comment to Jack.  He's at least trying to demonstrate his sexual prowess to Jack here.  They're both bragging to each other about sexual conquests with women (although it seems reasonably clear that in Jack's case the "ranch foreman's wife" was really a veiled reference to Randall... the ranch foreman himself).

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 08:36:21 pm »

(one way or another... and yes, it's not all his fault of course)... it really makes me sad for him. 

you are giving Ennis more of break than I will. Ennis was responsible for his life, yes, he was in a difficult situation, but he was responsible for hurting Alma, Jack and Cassie.

perhaps at the end, the famous comment "Jack I swear" really meant, "I swear that I finally understand the tragedy that I have allowed to unfold in our lives."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:07 pm »
As far as I understand "the blocks" is a breeding term that applies to animals.  I could be wrong but that's what I think he means in his comment to Jack.  He's at least trying to demonstrate his sexual prowess to Jack here.  They're both bragging to each other about sexual conquests with women (although it seems reasonably clear that in Jack's case the "ranch foreman's wife" was really a veiled reference to Randall... the ranch foreman himself).

I believe that is correct, I think that it has something to do with the blocked cages that breeding animals are placed in while encouraging their breeding. ???

Ask Injest, she raises horses and cattle on a ranch here in TX. I'm just a city boy.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 08:41:01 pm »

you are giving Ennis more of break than I will. Ennis was responsible for his life, yes, he was in a difficult situation, but he was responsible for hurting Alma, Jack and Cassie.

perhaps at the end, the famous comment "Jack I swear" really meant, "I swear that I finally understand the tragedy that I have allowed to unfold in our lives."

You're right brokeplex.  I am trying to give Ennis a bit of a break, even though he certainly contributes to a lot of heartache and pain for the people who love him.  But, I also have a lot of sympathy for Ennis and the struggles we know he goes through.

All the characters are flawed one way or the other.  And, Ennis most certainly is too.  But, yes, I'm willing to cut him some slack on certain issues (even if some of the things he says and does make me angry or disappointed).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 08:42:55 pm »
Do we know if Ennis had sex with Cassie?

What proof?

All replies  wanted for all... please!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 08:49:02 pm »
I believe that is correct, I think that it has something to do with the blocked cages that breeding animals are placed in while encouraging their breeding. ???

Yes, doing a quick google search (a sad search! and one that I never want to repeat!) I found numerous references to the concept of "breeding blocks".  Here's a sentence in which the term is used in an article about dog fighting rings and the breeding of pitbulls.  This website seems to be about animal cruelty issues.

http://www.project-hope.net/diary/diary_pit_march1.html
In the yard were two "breeding blocks," where a female's head would be forced through a metal ring so that a "stud" could mount her.
:(

There also seem to be more conventional uses for this type of thing on ranches, etc.  So, it doesn't seem surprising that Ennis would be familiar with this kind of slang.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2008, 08:49:23 pm »
You're right brokeplex.  I am trying to give Ennis a bit of a break, even though he certainly contributes to a lot of heartache and pain for the people who love him.  But, I also have a lot of sympathy for Ennis and the struggles we know he goes through.

All the characters are flawed one way or the other.  And, Ennis most certainly is too.  But, yes, I'm willing to cut him some slack on certain issues (even if some of the things he says and does make me angry or disappointed).

thats good, you balance out my colder tough love stance with Ennis.

I understand Ennis, I understand the pain and the constraints on him, and maybe that is why I know he didn't have to break so many hearts. I accept the fact  that Ennis could never have lived with Jack, but I also know that Ennis could have treated Alma differently, their marriage could have lasted. Alma had Ennis's life in her hands, she knew the truth and never spoke of it until the Thanksgiving scene. Why? She loved him and wanted the marriage to work. If Ennis had just met her 1/4 of the way, they could have been happier. And I bet she would have looked the other way about Jack. But Ennis chose to behave in a manner that was intolerable. And think about this, Alma could have destroyed Ennis in his community, could have destroyed Ennis's relationship with his two girls, yet she chose to remain silent and protect that unpleasant man. "St. Alma" in my book!  :)