Author Topic: Was Cassie in the Brokeback Mountain movie homophobic?  (Read 53705 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Was Cassie in the Brokeback Mountain movie homophobic?
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2008, 11:16:42 pm »
Ennis is a big boy. He had his reasons for going along with her. If he didn't want to, it's hard to imagine someone of Cassie's size and build "forcing" a man who spends his days wrangling animals to do anything.

Artiste, what Ennis says to Jack is, "(I've) been putting the blocks to a good-lookin' little gal over in Riverton." I don't know how you get "Cassie was forcing herself on to him" out of that. If anything, as we've already discussed on this thread, the phrase "putting the blocks to" implies aggression in the other direction.

If you've got some other line in mind, please quote it specifically. I've seen the movie 20 times and read the story about 10, and I can't think of any dialogue remotely like what you describe.

only 20 times for the film and only 10 times for the ss? when you get a chance, you have some catching up to do !  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2008, 11:21:46 pm »
only 20 times for the film and only 10 times for the ss? when you get a chance, you have some catching up to do !  ;D

Around here, when you say you've seen the movie 20 times, people say, "What -- didn't you like it?"

:laugh:

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2008, 02:16:55 am »
Around here, when you say you've seen the movie 20 times, people say, "What -- didn't you like it?"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Guess I didn't like it either  ;).
We're still in in synch reagarding the number of our viewings of the movie (same is true for the SS).

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2008, 10:22:06 am »
We're still in in synch reagarding the number of our viewings of the movie (same is true for the SS).

And why does that not surprise me?  :)  :-*

Offline Artiste

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2008, 10:28:46 am »
Thanks whysoserious, thanks  Penthesilea, thanks  oilfieldtrash !!!

Cassie is indeed fascinating... isn't she ??

Much can be said or thought about her yet, may I say.
WE think that her role is simple... but it's more than that!! May I suggest...

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2008, 01:56:30 pm »
Thanks oilfieldtrash!

Was it not Cassie that forced herself on Ennis and kept on that way?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I certainly don't think Cassie forces herself on Ennis.  In a certain way, Ennis uses Cassie to maintain his public appearance of being a straight man.  I think he's happy (to a certain extent) that she comes along because it's quite convenient for him.

Artiste, you're right that Cassie makes the "first move" in approaching him and asking him to dance (and to rub her feet, etc.).  In that regard, she's like Jack... both Jack and Cassie make the "first moves" in their relationships with Ennis.  And, I don't think either one can be accused of forcing Ennis to do anything.

Cassie's role in the film certainly is complex, I agree with you (and almost everything in BBM is complex, which makes it so great).  In one sense, I think Cassie... being probably one of the most beautiful women in Riverton... is meant to demonstrate the degree to which Ennis is not straight and maybe not even really bisexual.  Most people who are attracted to women would be thrilled to have Cassie as a girlfriend or would at least be flattered or excited by her attentions.  And, Ennis's lack of enthusiasm is very telling.  The little smile he gives Cassie when he rubs her feet, does show some level interest on the part of Ennis.  But, again, not the excitement one might expect.

Ennis does date her for a long time.  Introduces her to his kids (which is often considered a big step in a relationship), etc.  So Cassie had good reason to believe that their relationship was serious.  Whereas, I think Ennis continues to see the relationship as convenient and as a cover.  His totally bored attitude towards it in his discussion with Jack is pretty revealing.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Artiste

« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2008, 02:36:43 pm »
Merci atz!

Your post reveals much, and some of it surprises me too!!

Even if I am a homosexual man, I would be honoured to think that Marylin Monroe Cassie had a crush on me! (That has hapenned to me with such a Marylin Monroe, which I adore and love as actress and more as a person of worth!!)

I am flattered like Ennis that Cassie acts, but I would NOT have sex with her; therefore, I do not think that Ennis had sex with her neither?? Is that a possibility?

Au revoir,
so glad that you reply,
hugs!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2008, 03:50:29 pm »
I am flattered like Ennis that Cassie acts, but I would NOT have sex with her; therefore, I do not think that Ennis had sex with her neither?? Is that a possibility?

I don't think so. Artiste, clearly you are more comfortable with your identity as a gay man than Ennis was. He didn't want anyone to know he was gay, including Cassie. In order to keep up the pretense of her being his girlfriend, he has to act the part fully. So it's pretty impossible to imagine a relationship going on that long without him going through the motions of sex with Cassie. And even if he found it unappealing, I think he would have managed it, just as he managed a sexual relationship with Alma. I imagine he employed a bit of self-delusion -- though at some level he knew he was gay, perhaps he was able to convince himself that, as Story Ennis says, he "like(s) doin it with women" (personally, I don't think Story Ennis was being entirely honest here himself).

Meanwhile, if they went for years without sex I think Cassie herself would have wondered -- if not figured out -- the reason for Ennis' reluctance.

Artiste, you say you were flattered by your appeal to a "Marilyn Monroe." But it doesn't sound as if you dated her, or that you used her year after year as a front to conceal your real sexual orientation. That's one big difference between you and Ennis, and why your situations are not parallel.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2008, 04:21:27 pm »

LOL!  :laugh: :D :laugh: :D :laugh:

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2008, 07:27:14 pm »
Thanks seriouscrayons !

Your post is perplexing and/or something as in pensive for moi, yes me to think about!!

I did date females/ladies!!

More on that later,   if you like [/i]!!

Au revoir,
hugs!