Author Topic: TOTW 12/08: What's your take on the detailed nature descriptions in the SS?  (Read 14256 times)

Offline Vermont Sunset

• Sr. Ranch Hand
"It was just the two of them alone on the mountain, flying in the euphoric bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of the vehicle on the plain below. Suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark"

Their Arcadia was both beautiful and doomed, as they really weren't alone after all. But, the vision of an Arcadia where they, or someone like them under their circumstances can be happy, is so very moving. Perhaps I think of the "natural" descriptions of their Arcadia on the mountain as being so appealing because it is painted on a canvas that is not so pretty, the real world of the small economically depressed towns and its harsh judgements of them.

And, a doomed beauty is often the most moving type of beauty, as it is fragile and transitory.

Yes, just at that moment AP tells us "They believed themselves invisible, not knowing that Joe Aguirre......." The ultimate Peeping Tom!

Of course you are right. But really life itself is transitory and fragile. It will end for all of us some day. So the real goal is to have at least one moment in time when things are perfect, when you can put aside the issue of its impermanence and just relish its exquite beauty. "...the time that distant summer when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisftying some shared and sexless hunger. They had stood that way for a "long" time..." That long time was probably less than an hour. In the movie it was less than a minute. Rocking in the sparklight feeling each others hearts beating. It may have been way too brief, yet it's memory brought joy to both of them for years after it passed.

Not to say that made it right. Made their suffering OK. Excused mistakes and bad decisions they made thereafter.  Made society's treatment of them acceptable.  It's just to say that they both had something that many people never experience.
I gotta go......See ya in the mornin'

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
I think at the most basic level, the nature descriptions give us a sense of place, a landscape to put the characters into. It's glaringly obvious, but you need some sort of context to put the people into. Like much of the SS, the description of Aguirre's office at the start of the story is very sparse, but even from those few words, it paints a vivid picture in your mind just from the words she uses of what the inside of Aguirre's office is like, and you form a mental image of it.

With nature it's not so simple though. When they first went up the mountain - "ascent into heaven" (I'm sure I've seen it described as that somewhere before) -

"Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, a thousand ewes and their lambs flowed up the trail like dirt water through the timber and out above the tree line into the great flowery meadows and the coursing, endless wind."

She could have said, "Ennis and Jack, the dogs, horses and mules, and the sheep climbed up the trail up the mountain through the trees and then up through the meadows", but apart from being a rather boring description, it gives us no sense of scale, no sense of how they moved up the mountain. I'm not a big fan of "how to write" books, preferring to just get stuck in myself and writing by instinct, but I do own a couple, and one of them has a chapter entitled "show, don't tell". Annie's not telling us simply what they did, but giving us that viital information that allows us to form a picture in our minds. It gives us the information to imagine how all of those thousand ewes and their lambs would have looked, making their way up the mountain, and so much more. They made their way through the trees and the meadows, and not only visually can we picture those flowery meadows that are "great" (sense of scale again), but the "coursing, endless wind" tells us about the climate up there so that apart from seeing the landscape we can also feel it - we can feel that wind and we're using all our senses now, not just the visual ones.

„ ...and they packed in the game and moved off the mountain with the sheep, stones rolling at their heels, purple cloud crowding in from the west and the metal smell of coming snow pressing them on. The mountain boiled with demonic energy, glazed with flickering broken-cloud light, the wind combed the grass and drew from the damaged krummholz and slit rock a bestial drone.“
(coming down the mountain)

Again, having been given the visual descriptions of the landscape throughout their time on the mountain, this time there's more emphasis on the feeling of the place, and the way it echoes their emotions. We're given details though from the tiniest level "stones rolling at their heels", which is something we can relate to, the way when you're walking downhill small stones roll after you, to the visual again "purple crowd rolling in..." - a visual description which also carries a sense of the mood, and also another sense - "the metal smell of coming snow", and then a more detailed description of the weather with sound "a bestial drone".

"It was just the two of them alone on the mountain, flying in the euphoric bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of the vehicle on the plain below. Suspended above ordinary affairs and distant from tame ranch dogs barking in the dark hours"

Again, a sense of scale - looking down on the hawk and vehicles on the plain below, but in with that there's mixed so much more about their relationship - two words she uses "flying" and "euphoric", but contrasts that with "bitter air" (bittersweet?). They're "suspended" both physically with the height of the mountain, and emotionally, separate from everyday life and "tame ranch dogs". Life on the mountain is far separated from everyday life, and though as Penthesilea says,

She herself said in interviews, that in a short story every single word has to be right, has to carry meaning, that even the punctuation is important.

...it's that description that tells us more about their life together on the mountain and how it contrasted with "real life" than any amount of dialogue between them could.

If you have read Close Range, the collection of Short stories in which BBM appears, you will realize this is unique. AP's characters are crushed and contorted by the harsh economic, social and physical environment in which they try to survive. but in BBM she lets nature ease up just a bit to allow the tender and fragile love of these two boys to flourish.

As Vermont Sunset says, it really feels as though with BBM she does let up and lets nature ease up just that little bit. I bought a friend of mine Close Range, and she started reading the other stories and about half way through gave up and skipped to BBM on the grounds that the stories were "Far too damned depressing!" lol! (and BBM's not? lol!)

I do feel that as Penthesilea quoted AP as saying, in a short story the choice of words is so important, but with the nature descriptions in BBM they really are vital to the story - the story of the mountain described through those descriptions, is just as important as the boys' story, and mirrors their story (in calm times we have descriptions of a peaceful mountain and the nature that surrounds them and in times of trouble, dramatic descriptions of the weather and the feel of the mountain that mirrors their moods), and that continues through the whole story. Those natural descriptions are integral to the story, and without them it would lack a lot. In the film we get the majestic landscapes and the subtle gestures and the looks and the expressions. In the SS though we have only the descriptions of their surroundings and we need those words to fill in the sense of place and to reinforce the dialogue and the snippets we are told about their thoughts. For linguistic artistry, how AP uses those words, on a scale of one to ten she gets and unequivocal fifteen - every single word is right, and does carry meaning, and BBM should be up there amongst the literary greats.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
she does throw one little "burr" into this description. It just occurred to me recently. What would you do to an insect you saw crawling across a tablecloth, huh?)

Ouch, another premonition couched in an aside or joke!  :-\ Very insightful, friend VS!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Vermont Sunset

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Ouch, another premonition couched in an aside or joke!  :-\ Very insightful, friend VS!

Yes, FR. I love her descriptions of nature as you well know. But from the very first time I read this, there was a "discomfort". Not only is it a bit of an unsettling image, it is an image from an indoor domestic setting, having seemingly nothing to do with the majesty around them. I figured it was just her unique way of describing things. But after reciting that passage from memory for the hundreth time at least, my voice suddenly took on a sinister tone as I came to that line..a sneer. And that's when it began to hit me. Then I thought of old man Twist's hands folded on the plastic "tablecloth" as he stares down Ennis and it clicked.

And think about it. An insect on a tablecloth is just being itself. Like adorable little 3 year old Jack who just can't quite get to the bathroom on time.  It has found itself unwittingly in the territory of another much more powerful creature who perceives it as a threat. ( the shoot 'em zone). The only response is to kill. ( Except if you are some of us bleeding hearts who go get a tissue to deposit the poor thing outdoors. I bet there are a lot of us here.  ;)).  The metaphor becomes clear. Jack as a "queer" is a threat to the homophobic society in which he exists, including most notably his father in that domestic setting.  But what if that insect was a dragonfly or a ladybug or a honeybee? Then not only do you kill an innocent creature, you kill one that actually has benefits to you.

And the further issue here is that this image is what Ennis is perceiving! His homophobia is completely unalloyed at this point, but that building attraction to Jack draws his eyes across that "great gulf". 

The price of blind ignorance. AP is truly a genius.

Offline Vermont Sunset

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Contrast Jack's view of Ennis. "night fire." "a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain." No ambiguity there, huh? Ennis is Jack's true love and only joy in a dark and forboding world.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
AP is truly a genius.

Indeed she is.

Interesting observation on the insect and the tablecloth metaphor too. I'd never paid that much attention to that line before, but now you've pointed it out, yep, it is kind of unsettling and almost at odds with the nature descriptions.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Contrast Jack's view of Ennis. "night fire." "a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain." No ambiguity there, huh? Ennis is Jack's true love and only joy in a dark and forboding world.

excellent observation!  I did not "see" that visual metaphor before!  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator

I think Annie's writing is particularly strong/poignant/complex in the moments where she's describing natural elements.  Absolutely beautiful and really inspiring.  Her sometimes quirk or unexpected "turns of phrase" and knack at description are some of my favorite elements of her style.

In terms of significance, I think it's so important to recognize how the lovely descriptions not only stand alone as bits of writing, but the metaphors and descriptions in those nature passages also inform the story about the human characters and give us insight into things like mood, foreboding, emotion, etc. that don't always come across purely from dialogue or explanation of things going on at the human level.

Annie's close attention to natural detail seems to be a big clue to us in terms of watching the film... that visual clues and elements of nature that we are presented with in the cinematic version of the story must also carry profound meaning.  Way beyond simply being pretty scenery.

Her attention to natural elements leads us to those wonderful discussions about natural phenomenons like wind, fire, earth and snow.  And, clearly this all informs the film's tag line "love is a force of nature."  Almost nudging the reader/viewer to take those details of nature very seriously.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline THE WINGS

• Sr. Ranch Hand
I feel that Annie's detailed descriptions of the natural settings of the story are truly brilliant, beyond what words can accurately describe. She paints a picture, so vivid, and visceral, that you can almost smell and feel the "hard-scrabble" existence dictated by the rugged, "masculine" landscape that Jack and Ennis grew up in.  In all of her stories, (That Old Ace In the Hole) which I am currently reading is no exception.  You get to literally breathe the air and feel the the landscape that these characters inhabit, which gives her stories the verisimilitude that makes them so REAL and believable, AND which most of us can relate to, on many different levels.

This makes her one of my all-time favourite authors, without a doubt.

Enough said....

THE WINGS

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Thanks everybody for sharing your insights  :).

"The mountain boiled with demonic engery..." - this part always makes me feel like the mountain itself wanted to buck them off, like it were a living and breathing thing. I get a picture in my head of a moving, wobbling mass of mountain, like a bucking horse (or bull) in slow-motion.

One part I haven't made much sense of yet is the listing of all the mountain ranges they went to over the years. Of course it's striking that they were all over the place - but never returned to Brokeback. The garden Eden metaphor we discussed several times before. Once you're thrown out, you can never return. Hey, even the movie trailer says so "There are places we can't return".

But to make this point, it would have been enough if Proulx had listed three or four mountain ranges, adding .."and many others" (something along that lines). But she doesn't. Instead she lists no less than seventeen (!*) different mountain ranges.
Any thoughts on this?

*There's that number again; we discussed the 17 before, but mostly movie related. Could it be another example of the Lee/Proulx/Ossana/Murtry synergy?