Author Topic: Texas Polygamy Sect  (Read 25792 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Texas Polygamy Sect
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 12:21:39 pm »
Most, isn't it, muslims, already have 4 wives, and no one goes against that, why ??

Offline Artiste

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 12:23:54 pm »
If these men were muslims, they would just return to their own country of birth, and not be courts in Texas ?

But here men/chiildren born in the USA, are brought into courts in Texas !!

Is that fair ?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:06 pm »
I have a feeling that the notion of polygamy (whether mormon, amish, muslim or just for one's lifestyle choice) is going to become yet another legal/social issue that will ride on the tails of gay marriage. And, the polygamists will have a good point....if marriage can be changed to include male/male or female/female marriages, why not male/female/female?

The Amish are not polygamous.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 07:53:37 pm »

so if your religion is enslaving other people you are not protected.

that wasn't the point that I was making, not even a near miss!

freedom of religion is constitutionally protected, and the right to be free from unlawful search and seizure is constitutionally protected.

additionally the right to the pursuit of "life, liberty, etc" is also constitutionally protected. These parts of the fed constitution balance these rights and the roles of government in protecting them. The same applies to the state constitution.

CPS and other authorities were acting to protect the "life, liberty, etc" of the children of the compound when they made their "raid". this is constitutional, and not a violation of "freedom of religion" if they used proper search warrants and procedures, and had demonstrable just cause.

I chose these constitutionally pertinant quotations in my post as a response to Kaiser's largely correct opine that there are clear dangers to governmental overreaction. We still do not know the full story of El Dorado and the FLDS, but the entire cult appears very suspicious to me, and we will hopefully know soon the whole truth about the cult, and whether the authorities reacted in a correct manner or not, in the fullness of time. I hope!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 09:25:02 pm »
I have a feeling that the notion of polygamy (whether mormon, amish, muslim or just for one's lifestyle choice) is going to become yet another legal/social issue that will ride on the tails of gay marriage. And, the polygamists will have a good point....if marriage can be changed to include male/male or female/female marriages, why not male/female/female?

Or why not female/male/male?

As the news reporter on Nancy Grace said, if it was a fringe polygamist cult - and the spouses involved were all adults and consenting no one would have blinked.  They would have been just another cult and let the Feds deal with their governmentally unapproved marriage arrangements.  But in almost every single case of a polygamist cult, the wife pool consists of both adult women and underaged girls.  THAT is what causes the problem.  These type cults are almost always men-controlled and designed to benefit their male founders.  I've yet to hear of a polygamist cult where the women are allowed as many husbands as they want.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »
Most, isn't it, muslims, already have 4 wives, and no one goes against that, why ??

Usually because they're not citizens of the country they're currently visiting/residing and they got married in the country of their birth where it is legal and recognized.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 10:13:34 pm »
Judge now ruled that the children stay in the care of Texas State for now, and ordered DNA test, since its hard to determine which child is of which parent !!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 10:44:19 pm »
I've yet to hear of a polygamist cult where the women are allowed as many husbands as they want.

I would imagine women are smart enough not to want to have more than one husband at a time. ...

;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 10:46:27 pm »
Women who do not want to get more that one husband at a time, in some cults, get beaten or murdered !!

There are many cases like that !!

Hard to tell...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 10:50:53 pm »
I would imagine women are smart enough not to want to have more than one husband at a time. ...

;)

Thought that went without saying but I'd thought I'd be egalitarian about it  ;)