Author Topic: things that remind me of BBM  (Read 2674 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
things that remind me of BBM
« on: May 21, 2006, 05:00:09 pm »
I saw the little log cabin beside the road. Cute little place, not much bigger than Ennis's house in the post-divorce scene, but better maintained. And then I saw the little carved wooden sign over the door.

"Jack's Cabin."

It was right across the road from the "Wapiti Lodge Ranch." (Wapiti = Elk) Couple horses, cows and calves.

It could be a sweet life.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 04:41:24 pm by nakymaton »
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
Just wanted to say how much I appreciated your description of the landscape, the trip you were on, the animals both domestic and wild, and *especially* of Jack's cabin.  :)  Eerie and beautiful both - as if an alternate universe Jack had really managed to set up that little cow and calf operation.

Remember that part in Annie Proulx's essay "Getting Movied", where she tells of driving along through the Sierra Madre in autumn, then seeing a horse and pack mule and nearly stops there to wait to see if Jack or Ennis will appear? Your whole trip sounds imbued with just that feeling.

Sounds like a place with open space to let you truly *breathe*. Did you bring a camera along?

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
That sounds like a wonderful place to be, even if BBM references didn't abound.  But Jack's Cabin and the elk and the sheep make it perfect.  Well, not quite.  Perfect would have to include Jack and Ennis, too.  ;)

Sometimes our jobs pay us back quite handsomely for the many hours of drudgery they can require.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
What a nice post, Mel! Sounds like you have found a wonderful place to live and work. I'm jealous.

BTW, my brother is a geologist in Denver.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Uh-oh, is it rude to be thinking of Jack and Ennis while someone else is talking? I'm in big trouble.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
Uh-oh, is it rude to be thinking of Jack and Ennis while someone else is talking? I'm in big trouble.

Well, if your thoughts involve them jouncing a bed and all, as mel indicates, then I'm deeply impressed with the both of you for managing to seem calm and attentive to the speaker. That takes skill!  ;)

Mel, thank you for the picture. It's got a distinctly Annie Proulx-ish look to it, I think - open fields and open skies and a fine view, but still a very real landscape where ordinary people live and work and go about their not-always-so-glamorous lives. I think it's the old decrepit fence with the barbed wire in the front that makes it distinctly so.

The town's too small to have a movie theater, but the local college library accepted a copy of the DVD from Dave Cullen's group.

I'm happy to hear this.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
It's beautiful. Makes me want to move there. Course, I've been wanting to move west for ... oh, the past four months or so, at least.  ::)

(For the record, I did live in Idaho -- Ketchum -- for a couple of summers a long time ago and loved it.)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 01:30:00 am by latjoreme »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
It's not weird on this board.   :P

Sneak a little love pat in for me, too.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...