Author Topic: Ennis and Old Man Twist  (Read 27539 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis and Old Man Twist
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2006, 07:40:31 pm »
I think as long as old man Twist was alive that Jack and Ennis wouldn't be as comfortable together as they were up on Brokeback.   Maybe after the old man dies they would feel more at ease around Jacks Mom.    

I can picture Jack at the kitchen table with his mom at the stove when Ennis comes in the house and gives Jack a kiss.     Ennis would never do that if the old man was there!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2006, 11:43:40 pm »
I can picture Jack at the kitchen table with his mom at the stove when Ennis comes in the house and gives Jack a kiss.

Wow, that would be quite something David.  Somehow I can't imagine Ennis showing affection like that in front of other people even in this imaginary situation of living with Jack in Lightning Flat.  I do think he'd be more comfortable and open around Ma Twist, but somehow I think he'd still be way too shy to kiss.

So, now I have a question... Back to the world of the actual movie.  When Ennis arrives in Lightning Flat it seems pretty clear that Jack's parents are expecting him.  At least Jack's Mom seems to be waiting by the door and comes out to greet him.  She probably baked that cherry cake in anticipation of company (one can imagine they probably don't have visitors too regularly).   So, how did Ennis let them know he was coming?  Did they have a phone in that funny old house?  What would that introductory phone call have been like I wonder?  Did he send a postcard?  I guess this leads back to the question of how long did Ennis wait after his phone call to Lureen before setting off for Lightning Flat.  I know some people think he left right away. 

Interesting.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 12:41:18 am »
My opinion is that he let them know he was coming. There's something about the way she steps on the porch that tells me she was anticipating his arrival. And the coffee was all brewed and ready to pour. (The cake may have been something she just habitually keeps on hand.) In an earlier discussion, Jeff pointed out that if he'd called ahead they might have mentioned that the ashes were already slated for the family plot. So maybe he sent a postcard. But then he would have had to wait at least a couple of days before going. Hmm.

I like the idea of them being free to kiss in front of Ma Twist once Pa is out of the picture, though. I think if we go through all the leaps of faith we have to go through even to get that far -- the biggest one being that for whatever reason Ennis lets go of his reservations -- that one isn't so farfetched. Ma Twist is so kind and empatheticI think eventually they would have felt pretty comfortable with her.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2006, 07:41:37 am »
My opinion is that he let them know he was coming. There's something about the way she steps on the porch that tells me she was anticipating his arrival. And the coffee was all brewed and ready to pour. (The cake may have been something she just habitually keeps on hand.) In an earlier discussion, Jeff pointed out that if he'd called ahead they might have mentioned that the ashes were already slated for the family plot. So maybe he sent a postcard. But then he would have had to wait at least a couple of days before going. Hmm.

Talk about the ashes over the phone? That's unlikely, especially if they don't know each other. A Burial or ashes scattering is intimate, you just don't call out of the blue and make such an offer, especially to a parent. I can't picture Ennis doing that. I think he called ahead, (Jack's mom probably picked up the phone since she's the one who's usually at home), explained who he was and that he wanted to stop by to offer his condolences. Mrs. Twist, happy to finally meet one of Jack's friend, said yes and later told her husband about it, leaving him with no choice but to let Ennis come.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 07:53:40 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2006, 07:59:45 am »
I definately think he went up there ASAP.    I don't think he could have waited until next spring.      He may have sent a postcard or letter, General Delivery of course, as he wouldn't have known the exact address.   It may have just said:

Mr. & Mrs. Twist

My name is Ennis Delmar.  I was a good friend of
Jacks and would like to come up and see you for
a visit to express my condolences.  Please let me
know if this is S'alright and reply with your address
and some directions.

Ennis

To which Ma Twist would have immediately recognized the name.   I'm sure she was anxious to meet the man her son raved about.  I'm sure she was sincere when she told him to come back sometime.    Especially after the Stud duck kicks the bucket.  Jack was an only child, she could leave the ranch to Ennis in her will !

Offline opinionista

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2006, 08:07:15 am »
I definately think he went up there ASAP.    I don't think he could have waited until next spring.      He may have sent a postcard or letter, General Delivery of course, as he wouldn't have known the exact address.   It may have just said:

Mr. & Mrs. Twist

My name is Ennis Delmar.  I was a good friend of
Jacks and would like to come up and see you for
a visit to express my condolences.  Please let me
know if this is S'alright and reply with your address
and some directions.

Ennis

To which Ma Twist would have immediately recognized the name.   I'm sure she was anxious to meet the man her son raved about.  I'm sure she was sincere when she told him to come back sometime.    Especially after the Stud duck kicks the bucket.  Jack was an only child, she could leave the ranch to Ennis in her will !

What about Bobby?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2006, 08:31:09 am »
What about Bobby?

Screw Bobby. He's already got a big inheritence coming. Besides, what's a kid from New Jersey gonna do with a ranch in Wyoming?

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm liking this turn of events, anyway. I'd love to see Ennis get the financial boost, but to imagine him living by himself on that desolate ranch ...  :'(

Offline David

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2006, 08:39:23 am »
Bobby?   I'm sure the Twists NEVER met him!    They know he exists, but I'm sure Jack made it known that Old L.D. Newsome had a college fund all set up for Bobby.   Besides, look how Bobby was raised.  You think he would want to leave a nice home and job/college to go up to Lightning Flat?    I don't think so, an neither would the Twists.     I could definately see Ma Twist leaving the Ranch to Ennis.

As for Ennis being isolated out there?    How is that any different from his trailer??   At least he would out on the ranch doing what he likes best.   And who knows, maybe he'll meet a handsome young buck at the feed store who needs a job as a Ranch hand?

Offline opinionista

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2006, 08:58:32 am »
Bobby?   I'm sure the Twists NEVER met him!    They know he exists, but I'm sure Jack made it known that Old L.D. Newsome had a college fund all set up for Bobby.   Besides, look how Bobby was raised.  You think he would want to leave a nice home and job/college to go up to Lightning Flat?    I don't think so, an neither would the Twists.     I could definately see Ma Twist leaving the Ranch to Ennis.

As for Ennis being isolated out there?    How is that any different from his trailer??   At least he would out on the ranch doing what he likes best.   And who knows, maybe he'll meet a handsome young buck at the feed store who needs a job as a Ranch hand?

Well, ok but I had this idea that maybe Bobby when he grows up might want to know more about his dad. The lost of a parent hits hard on a child, especially a loving and caring parent like Jack was. I picture him driving all the way to Wyoming to get to know Lightning Flat and if he's lucky to even meet one of Jack's parent who might still be alive. He would try to find out about Ennis, I'm sure he's heard something about him when growing up. But this is some idea of mine. Perhaps Lureen brainwashes him enough to forget about his dad or at least not do anything to find out more about him.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2006, 09:07:12 am »
Talk about the ashes over the phone? That's unlikely, especially if they don't know each other. A Burial or ashes scattering is intimate, you just don't call out of the blue and make such an offer, especially to a parent. I can't picture Ennis doing that. I think he called ahead, (Jack's mom probably picked up the phone since she's the one who's usually at home), explained who he was and that he wanted to stop by to offer his condolences. Mrs. Twist, happy to finally meet one of Jack's friend, said yes and later told her husband about it, leaving him with no choice but to let Ennis come.

I agree with you opinionista, however it was that Ennis gets in touch with the Twists before he gets there, and he must do this (I think) to know where they live, there wouldn't be any talk beyond this in the calll or postcard.  I guess it is possible that he could just turn up in Lightning Flat and ask people (like Jack did to find Ennis after the divorce), but the way that Ma Twist come out on to the porch suggests an expected visitor.

One question though, when you asked "What about Bobby" I thought: What about "What about Bobby"?  Do you mean that the Twists might leave the ranch to him?  But why would they leave it to Ennis?  Is this assuming that Jack was dead also?  If not they would leave it to Jack surely.  I think I'm confusing myself. ;)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare