Author Topic: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS  (Read 27632 times)

vkm91941

Re: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »
Oh, and let's stop giving good old Julia Roberts a pass, shall we?  Minus Erin Brockovich, where's the versatility or distinction between characters?  As Hollywood star style performing goes, she's leagues beneath even Tom Cruise in skill level.  

She was just skewered royally on Broadway and there's a very funny piece about it in the new EW.  

I used to love her until I stopped loving the flat cadence and the quivering lip and the same smile every six frames or so.....  zzzzzzzz.......

rt

I agree she got panned badly on Broadway.  Better actors than her have been panned before and will be again.  In defense of Miss Julia, let me start by saying I am not a huge fan, but I do like her for the most part.  

In my mind she does really well in the light pseudo serious comedy department, I personally enjoyed her in Steel Magnoliias, Stepmom, Nottinghill and Runaway Bride.  

But I also liked her in some of her much more serious roles,in addition to Erin Brockovich, I liked  Mary Riley, Conspiracy Theory, Something to Talk About, Sleeping with the Enemy, Flatliners, Dying Young and the Pelican Brief.

To me she has shown herself to be a versatile performer, she is lovely and charming but in non-threatening down to earth way so that both men and women feel comfortable with her and her characters. That's my take

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 04:55:16 pm »
DAKOTA FANNING

There is clearly a message here.  I'm struggling to see it tho...

:P
Chut up!

vkm91941

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 04:58:03 pm »
Hi I am a little bit lost here.  This is rt's post but updated by Vicky.  Probably just the quotation mark throws me off as the last sentence is not in my post.  Anyway, technical glitch? :)

That observation seems a bit jaded. Sweet, heartwarming film, but cloying?  Can you say Chick Flick.  Just coz it is and just because it protrays loving human emotion doesn't make it bad.

« Last Edit: Today at 03:45:28 pm by vkm91941 » 

NO must have been my error !!!!!! I am so sorry don't know how that happened I was sure I just quoted rt but I must have hit the modify button instead.   PLEASE Jenny and rt forgive my stupid error.  I'm going to delete the entire post and ask rt to please repost his original thought  ::)  :-\

rtprod

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 05:02:45 pm »
Another baffling mystery:

The Success of Keanu Reeves

Has worked with the best of the best directors in movies that became big hits.  And frankly, the guy can't deliver a line of dialgoue comfortably to save his life.  His work is all on the surface, awkward emoting, goofy line interpretations, as if he read the script maybe five minutes before the cameras rolled.  

He's gotten a pass -- can we revoke, please?

rt

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 05:03:05 pm »
Oh, boy.  I'm gonna take some *major* flak on this one, but here goes:

Sean Penn (I think he's vastly over-rated.  Sorry.)
Nick Nolte (All he does is Variations in Yelling.)
Al Pacino (See Nick Nolte - he was still good up until about "Sea of Love," then the Yelling began.)
Matt Dillon (He has one expression:  Mad.)
Gary Oldman (He was great, then he let himself get typecast and just phoned it in for his next, like, 10 films.  He's started to redeem himself with "Batman Begins," though.)
Daniel Day-Lewis (Ducking.  I just don't get what's so great about him.  The *only* movie I've ever seen him in where I couldn't see him acting was "In the Name of the Father.")
Sarah Jessica Parker (I can't stand her shrillness.)
Ben Affleck (The only one I could ever stand him in was "Shakespeare in Love," and that's because he played the perfect horse's ass - I'm thinkin' it wasn't much of a stretch.)
George Clooney (I'm sick to FREAKIN' death of him.  And could he be any more of a shameless narcissist?  Never have I seen someone so painfully infatuated with himself.)

Now...  Lemme take off the gloves...

;)

No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 05:05:15 pm »
Oh, no, no... 

Loving human emotion is why we go to the movies -- when it's honest.

When it's forced, like a manipulative trick to wring tears -- Beaches, I am Sam -- then I start to induce...

rt

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 05:05:46 pm »
What a great idea for a thread. But here's how boring I am. I have a hard time thinking of any. Well, I'm not too fond of

Mel Gibson

in real life, but onscreen he's fine. Of all the actors mentioned above, the only ones I out-and-out dislike are

Ashton Kutcher and
Sylvester Stallone

I studied your lists fruitlessly trying to think of costars I didn't like. I scanned imdb in vain. I thought of a bunch of people I often dislike but occasionally like, such as

Robin Williams and
Kiera Knightley

I've never thought of myself as that easily pleased! I resorted to asking my sons for ideas, and they immediately reeled off

David Spade and
Rob Schneider

but they're way too obvious. Nobody likes them, do they? My kids reminded me of my many complaints about Adam Sandler, but that has more to do with most of the movies he's been in than anything about Adam himself. They named a bunch of other people, and I kept saying " .... No, they're OK."

FINALLY I thought of

Ethan Hawke

whom I don't really despise or anything, but there's something about him that annoys me. And I don't care much for

Joe Pesci

And I'm starting to get pretty sick of

Steve Martin

If I think of anyone else, I'll add them.

OH WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT. Barb's post came in while I was writing this. I love or at least like just about everyone on her list EXCEPT -- and it's a huge except; I actually hate her

SARAH JESSICA PARKER

Whew! I feel much better now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 05:10:39 pm by latjoreme »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 05:08:19 pm »

But I also liked her in some of her much more serious roles,in addition to Erin Brockovich, I liked  Mary Riley, Conspiracy Theory, Something to Talk About, Sleeping with the Enemy, Flatliners, Dying Young and the Pelican Brief.

Vic, Vic, Vic--

Sleeping with the Enemy? That has to be one of my all time favorite WORST movies and ol'Julia was a big part of the awfulness--not to mention the inane story and ridiculous plot devices, like, she learned to swim in the YWCA pool and then can survive a raging hurricane in the Atlantic, hanging onto a bell buoy after she intentionally washes herself overboard...but I digress.

Vic, I usually agree with you but we have a MAJOR divergence of opinion on this one!!   :laugh:

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 05:18:12 pm »
Another baffling mystery:

The Success of Keanu Reeves

Agreed.  Oh, I used to love him.  He was great in "Speed",  borderline Ok in "The Matrix". But man, this guy can not act.  He is the same in every single movie (more recent ones, that is), looks like he can not tell the different between a stage play and a movie.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 05:25:35 pm »
Agreed.  Oh, I used to love him.  He was great in "Speed",  borderline Ok in "The Matrix". But man, this guy can not act.  He is the same in every single movie (more recent ones, that is), looks like he can not tell the different between a stage play and a movie.

Kind of a twist on this thread, which Jenny is bringing up...who are those actors who started off great, you were excited to see and then they never followed up? Keanu Reeves would be a good example, actually--cute in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, good in Speed and then wha'happened?

Sean Penn (also mentioned below)...it's like he's been coasting on his Ridgemont High laurels forever

Lindsay Lohan was absolutely adorable (and talented) in The Parent Trap and look what's happened to her. And I thought Mean Girls was awful even though it got passable reviews.

Tara Reid held her own in American Pie, playing the kind of girl I hated in HS but she did it well but since then, what?

Others...?
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!