Author Topic: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS  (Read 27631 times)

vkm91941

Re: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 08:33:02 pm »
Jenny, one thing to keep in mind is that we hold them in a bit higher esteem than does everyone in the industry.  Our support of those performances and this movie is in concurrence with other organizations, true, but though we've immortalized them, in Hollywood you are only as good as your last film or two.  This business is fickle and unfortunately box office determines career paths far too often.  Actors' careers are made by what they turn down as much as by what they accept.  Keep your fingers crossed. 

Sadly truer words were never spoken.  BUT no reason they cannot join the legion of working actors and work steadily and create decent reputations as quality actors without the celebrity. It would not make them rich but it would feed the soul.   If the craft of acting is what they love as they've both said in the past.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:40:06 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 08:36:27 pm »
Oh, yeah.  Kevin Costner is beyond bad.  He showed some promise in that cycling movie - what was it called?  American Flyers?  And then, quoth the raven, nevermore.

He was good in "Bull Durham" and it was all downhill after that.

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 08:42:20 pm »

Wow Poor Kevin Costner
I enjoyed American Flyer
Fandango was almost good.
and I absolutely love Field of Dreams
but now I don't even want to see him
I have tried to watch him in all the other movies, but he lost it for me.
I think I realized he wasn't acting, just playing himself and it spreads too thinl

The worst of all was Robin Hood.

But I still love Field of Dreams because of the story and Kevin can play the quintessential American -  once.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 11:43:19 pm »
Well, now that he has been trashed in five posts on this page alone, I will step in and say I like Kevin Costner. Not in anything dramatic, like JFK or ... well, whatever those other dramatic movies that he's been in were. But in light romantic comedies like Upside of Anger? He's likeable and charming.

I'll throw out my own provocative one -- someone I used to like but now can hardly stand:

Steve Martin

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2006, 12:24:51 am »
Well, now that he has been trashed in five posts on this page alone, I will step in and say I like Kevin Costner. Not in anything dramatic, like JFK or ... well, whatever those other dramatic movies that he's been in were. But in light romantic comedies like Upside of Anger? He's likeable and charming.

I'll throw out my own provocative one -- someone I used to like but now can hardly stand:

Steve Martin

He was good in his Planes, Trains and Automobiles days.....

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2006, 12:30:02 am »
He was good in his Planes, Trains and Automobiles days.....

Yes. And even better in Roxanne. But now ...

UPDATE: Although two minutes later, I started wondering. Maybe he never was that great. Maybe it was John Candy who made Planes, Trains funny and poignant! Maybe in Roxanne it was the cute script and pretty (Vancouver?) setting! Maybe a few months ago, when I rented LA Story, which I remember really liking, I fell asleep on the couch halfway through!

OK, Bowfinger. I fell asleep when I rented Bowfinger recently, too, but liked it anyway and I'm almost positive Steve Martin was good in that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:43:51 am by latjoreme »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2006, 12:55:48 am »
Yes. And even better in Roxanne. But now ...

UPDATE: Although two minutes later, I started wondering. Maybe he never was that great. Maybe it was John Candy who made Planes, Trains funny and poignant! Maybe in Roxanne it was the cute script and pretty (Vancouver?) setting! Maybe a few months ago, when I rented LA Story, which I remember really liking, I fell asleep on the couch halfway through!

OK, Bowfinger. I fell asleep when I rented Bowfinger recently, too, but liked it anyway and I'm almost positive Steve Martin was good in that.

Good point....John Candy was pretty awesome!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2006, 03:01:49 am »
Bruce Willis; The saviour of the universe how many times over?

Nicolas Cage; Makes my skin crawl with his Parkinson's disease mugging and his "mrphrnrtmrph" annunciation

Maddonna; Love the woman's music but an actor!  Puhleeeeease!

Tom Green; What a TWAT!

Gwyneth Paltrow; Give me a six inch nail to hammer into my temple!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2006, 03:05:17 am »
Oh, boy.  I'm gonna take some *major* flak on this one, but here goes:

Sean Penn (I think he's vastly over-rated.  Sorry.)
Nick Nolte (All he does is Variations in Yelling.)
Al Pacino (See Nick Nolte - he was still good up until about "Sea of Love," then the Yelling began.)
Matt Dillon (He has one expression:  Mad.)
Gary Oldman (He was great, then he let himself get typecast and just phoned it in for his next, like, 10 films.  He's started to redeem himself with "Batman Begins," though.)
Daniel Day-Lewis (Ducking.  I just don't get what's so great about him.  The *only* movie I've ever seen him in where I couldn't see him acting was "In the Name of the Father.")
Sarah Jessica Parker (I can't stand her shrillness.)
Ben Affleck (The only one I could ever stand him in was "Shakespeare in Love," and that's because he played the perfect horse's ass - I'm thinkin' it wasn't much of a stretch.)
George Clooney (I'm sick to FREAKIN' death of him.  And could he be any more of a shameless narcissist?  Never have I seen someone so painfully infatuated with himself.)

Now...  Lemme take off the gloves...

;)

:laugh: :laugh:

Now its my turn to say amen sistah...  And I'm still laughing about the liberty you took in creating a whole new "Style" of acting - the "Yelling". LOL   I LOVED Al Pacino the Godfather part I & II (you see the innocence lost in his eyes, its magic, he did such a good job) and I tried to hard to like Scent of a Woman and I hardly got the message because I had to turn up the volume on the TV to hear Chris O'Donnell's dialogue and then rush to turn it down as soon as it was Al's turn to talk.  With all the fumbling of the remote, I pretty much missed the nuance of the film.  :-\

Matt Dillon = Crash.  Nuff said.  I only ever liked him in "the Outsiders" and we all know how long ago that was.

Daniel Day-Lewis. Oh gosh, could this man be more desperate to be today's answer to Marlon Brando?

I will add the following, seeing as how all the ones I would have picked have already been said:

Tim Allen (what the hell was that Shaggy Dog shit?)

Jennifer Aniston (just don't like her, sorry)

Jude Law

Calista Flockhart (eat an effing Tim Tam please)

Any of the I've-Pouted-My-Way-Into-This-Movie-Role-Posse: Estella Warren, Kiera Knightley, Beyonce Knowles, Heidi Klum et al.

And I try hard to like his movies cause I thought he did a wonderful job in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", but I'm also gonna add Leonardo di Caprio..  
Chut up!

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2006, 03:09:23 am »
Calista Flockhart (eat an effing Tim Tam please)

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaaa!  Tell it girfren!
~A good general knows when to retreat~