Author Topic: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS  (Read 27821 times)

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2006, 05:39:49 am »
Can't stand
Mel Gibson
Sylvester Stallone (some Rocky, but that's all)
Stephen Segal
Jean-Claude Van Damme
COMEDY by Jim Carey
Tom Cruise
Eddy Murphy

Don't care for
Nicole Kidman
Charlie Sheen
Nicolas Cage
Sarah Jessica Parker
Liam Neeson
Angelina Jolie
Christian Slater
Nick Nolte
Matt Dillon
Gary Oldman
Casey Affleck
Adam Sandler
Ethan Hawke
Steve Martin
Alyssa Milano
Harrisson Ford (except in "Witness")
Edward Furlong
Bruce Willis
Calista Flockhart
Johnny Depp (ducking..- though I have seen most of his movies)
Orlando Bloom (ducking some more..)
Elijah Wood (hiding..)
.. and many more.

Don't really know
Lindsay Lohan
Paris Hilton

Kevin Costner – can't quite quit him.. I mean, he IS born on the same day as me, after all.. Loved him in his earlier films (American Flyers, the thing with the Wolves, JFK, No Way Out, the Untouchables..)

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2006, 08:42:22 am »
Jude, how do you go to the movies at all?  ;D Who haven't you listed (besides Kevin Costner)?! :laugh: But I'm glad you agree about Steve Martin!

(Your comment about you and Kevin sharing a birthday made me curious about who else has my  birthday. So I went to imdb, and the answer is (drumroll) Bruce Grobbelaar!!!! You've heard of him, right? Me neither. Turns out he's a South African football player. In fact, scanning the entire list of famous people born on that day of the year throughout all the years of history, the only name I recognized is CBS-TV president Leslie Moonves. Gee, yay. What an auspicious day it must be.)

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2006, 09:01:01 am »
Jude, how do you go to the movies at all?  ;D Who haven't you listed (besides Kevin Costner)?! :laugh: But I'm glad you agree about Steve Martin!
Oh, but I do go to movies! Those I don't care about, doesn't mean I avoid at all costs. I just don't understand all the fuss about them (for some there's not much fuss, really, but you know what I mean).. And the list of actors/actressess I love and care for is much much longer. I swear!  :laugh:

(Your comment about you and Kevin sharing a birthday made me curious about who else has my  birthday. So I went to imdb, and the answer is (drumroll) Bruce Grobbelaar!!!! You've heard of him, right? Me neither. Turns out he's a South African football player. In fact, scanning the entire list of famous people born on that day of the year throughout all the years of history, the only name I recognized is CBS-TV president Leslie Moonves. Gee, yay. What an auspicious day it must be.)
Of course I know Bruce....  ??? So, 6th of October, right? Well there is: Ioan Gruffud (UK) and Jeremy Sisto (US) - both excellent!! And some German actor quite known in his country - Helmut Zierl and a French singer (a bit out-dated), I kind of like: Nicolas Peyrac. And last but not least! -> Bálint Kisfalussy. I have no idea who that is, but he has a funny name..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2006, 09:22:31 am »
:laugh: :laugh:

Now its my turn to say amen sistah...  And I'm still laughing about the liberty you took in creating a whole new "Style" of acting - the "Yelling". LOL   I LOVED Al Pacino the Godfather part I & II (you see the innocence lost in his eyes, its magic, he did such a good job) and I tried to hard to like Scent of a Woman and I hardly got the message because I had to turn up the volume on the TV to hear Chris O'Donnell's dialogue and then rush to turn it down as soon as it was Al's turn to talk.  With all the fumbling of the remote, I pretty much missed the nuance of the film.  :-\

Matt Dillon = Crash.  Nuff said.  I only ever liked him in "the Outsiders" and we all know how long ago that was.

Daniel Day-Lewis. Oh gosh, could this man be more desperate to be today's answer to Marlon Brando?

I will add the following, seeing as how all the ones I would have picked have already been said:

Tim Allen (what the hell was that Shaggy Dog shit?)

Jennifer Aniston (just don't like her, sorry)

Jude Law

Calista Flockhart (eat an effing Tim Tam please)

Any of the I've-Pouted-My-Way-Into-This-Movie-Role-Posse: Estella Warren, Kiera Knightley, Beyonce Knowles, Heidi Klum et al.

And I try hard to like his movies cause I thought he did a wonderful job in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", but I'm also gonna add Leonardo di Caprio..  

LOL!  I'm so with you on Scent of a Woman, it isn't even funny.  That was *exactly* my experience with it, except I made the rather tragic error of seeing it in the movie theater.  I had a throbbing headache by the time it was over, and was sworn off Al Pacino for good.  I about lost my gob when he won the Oscar for that shite.

I didn't like Jennifer Aniston until I saw her in "The Good Girl."  I haven't liked her in anything since - like Toast said about Kevin Costner, in everything else, it's as if she's just being herself and it's getting a little thin.  But in TGG, she actually *acts*.  Maybe Jake inspired her.  Hell.  He inspires me just by being on the same planet.

And I so agree about Leo.  He was *great* in Gilbert Grape, but then he never lived up to that promise again.  He was good in The Aviator, but nothing particularly special.

And, and can we please have a nice, long, soul-sister hug about Daniel Day-Lewis?  You nailed it on that one, baby.  I actually find him downright unwatchable - I skip movies he's in no matter how good they're supposed to be.  I think he should just stick to cobbling.
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2006, 10:29:48 am »
I just saw this posted on another list I am on, and it made me laugh out loud so I thought I would share. Context, so people understand: the list is for crossword constructors and someone was posting that the new Nintendo game is going to be named WII, which will potentially emerge as a new 3 letter word that can be used in puzzles. Then someone else wondered if MI III is enough in the lexicon to be used as a word. And then this came along...

Funny you should mention that; as soon as I saw WII, I thought "Wishin':
Impossible I" which would be the first in a series of films about people
who wish in vain that Tom Cruise would stop making movies.  He hasn't
really done anything good since that film with Dustin Hoffman.

LOL

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006, 04:05:00 am »
I wound up looking at a long list of actors http://videoeta.com/person_list.html?letter=A to help jog my memory.  Some of these really rub me the wrong way (Sigourney Weaver), some just kind of mildly bug me (Andie MacDowell):

Juliette Lewis
Andy Dick
Uma Thurman
George Plimpton (though perfectly cast in Good Will Hunting)
David Spade
Snoop Dogg
John Wayne
Sigourney Weaver
Arnold Schwarzenegger (but I liked Kindergarten Cop)
Nicolas Cage (except he's in Moonstruck, one if my favorite movies, despite him)
Lee Marvin (wouldn't have thought of him, but someone else mentioned him)
Greta Garbo
Charlie Sheen
Tim Allen
David Arquette
Kevin Bacon
Catherine Zeta-Jones
James Caan (post-Godfather)
Neve Campbell
Gary Cole (though perfect in Office Space)
Lindsay Crouse
Kirsten Dunst
Claire Forlani
Melanie Griffith (though I loved Working Girl)
Samuel L. Jackson (though I loved The Red Violin)
Michael Keaton (somewhere along the way, I stopped enjoying him)
Keira Knightley
Martin Lawrence
Rob Lowe (except on West Wing)
Andie MacDowell
Lee Majors
Matthew McConaughey
Natasha McElhone
Demi Moore
Roger Moore
Robert Morse
Chuck Norris
Haley Joel Osment
Al Pacino (at this point)
Chazz Palminteri
Mary-Louise Parker (though she was perfectly cast in Grand Canyon)
Elizabeth Perkins
Matthew Perry
Ryan Phillippe
Rebecca Pidgeon (but what can you do - she's in all David Mamet, so I watch)
Brad Pitt (though I loved him in Ocean's Eleven)
Teri Polo
Richard Pryor (is this sacrilege?)
Bill Pullman
Christina Ricci
Mickey Rourke
Kurt Russell (post-1979)
Meg Ryan (though I love When Harry Met Sally)

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006, 09:31:38 am »
Bruce Willis; The saviour of the universe how many times over?

Nicolas Cage; Makes my skin crawl with his Parkinson's disease mugging and his "mrphrnrtmrph" annunciation

Maddonna; Love the woman's music but an actor!  Puhleeeeease!

Tom Green; What a TWAT!

Gwyneth Paltrow; Give me a six inch nail to hammer into my temple!

LOL I agree completely with all those, except I can't stand Madonna's music either

Also add..

Jamie Foxx - Is there anyone out there more full of their self?
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Matthew Broderick
Matthew McConaughey
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Chris 'Ludacris' Bridges
Geena Davis

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006, 09:40:12 am »
UGH!

David Spade and Howie Mandell!   

Who the F*ck put these idiots back on TV?

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2006, 07:11:11 pm »
Alexis Smith (RIP)

My assessment of Keanu Reeves: he is to acting as George Bush is to being president.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:49 am »
Alexis Smith (RIP)

My assessment of Keanu Reeves: he is to acting as George Bush is to being president.

Ha! Here is a quote from a review of his new movie "The Lake House." They teamed him up with Sandra Bullock, probably trying to recapture some of the chemistry from Speed, but this sounds like a dud of a movie (at least from this review):

All that aside, Sandra Bullock isn't that bad in this role, her character being far more likeable than Keanu Reeves, who has the personality and presence of a plank, made more obvious by the dog who steals all their scenes together. His attempts at emoting are laughable. The best moments of the movie are those rare moments when Reeves and Bullock are on screen together, which reminds you that it's more about the relationship than the hows and whys of its fantasy premise. Still, you never really feel any connection between them even after their first face-to-face meeting.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!