Author Topic: GET OVER YOURSELF...ERR...STARS AND THEIR BANDWAGONS  (Read 21616 times)

rtprod

GET OVER YOURSELF...ERR...STARS AND THEIR BANDWAGONS
« on: May 23, 2006, 05:43:04 pm »
Okay, here's a fun one -- the "Get Over Yourself" moniker, to bestow upon any self-important celebrity too caught up in causes or personal platitudes to remember that they just need to ACT or SING. 

My first:

Celine Dion crying--no, blubbering--in a press conference to call attention to little children and their "little hands" working in third-world factories or something.  Or maybe it was working for McDonald's in third-world counties.  I dunno.  But I do remember the crocodile tears coming down in a torrent and her voice breaking up (it never does that).   

Celine Dion's first child, as if no other woman in history ever produced a baby.  Waaay too many interviews about this "miracle" you would think she was Mary herself. 

GET OVER YOURSELF!   ::) ::) ::)

rt
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 05:45:09 pm by rtprod »

slayers_creek_oth

Re: GET OVER YOURSELF...ERR...STARS AND THEIR BANDWAGONS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 05:46:30 pm »
Now this is a good thread!

I agree with the Celine Dion 100% and will raise you one Mariah Carey!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 05:54:22 pm »
Tom Cruise.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 06:09:06 pm »
Tom Cruise.

What makes me most mad about him is the whole Brooke Sheilds thing.

Lets hope Katie.. opps sorry... Kate doesn't have postnatel depression anytime soon.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:09:12 pm »
Tom Cruise.

Ditto Tom Cruise. He should get over himself and let South Park makes fun of him and scientology. Who cares.

Another one: Mel Gibson

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:09:46 pm »
Another one: Mel Gibson

Oooooo how could I forget? 

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 06:24:21 pm »
George Clooney.  I actually have no problem with actors and singers being activists.  He just annoys the crap outta me in general.  And he ain't that good of an actor (or filmmaker), either.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 06:25:15 pm »
George Clooney.  I actually have no problem with actors and singers being activists.  He just annoys the crap outta me in general.  And he ain't that good of an actor (or filmmaker), either.

I couldn't agree more Barb!  Cocky as hell...GET OVER YOURSELF doesn't quite cover it!

rtprod

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 06:27:48 pm »
Pamela Anderson and PETA

Pamela Anderson vs. Kentucky Fried Chicken

::)

LOL

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 06:28:23 pm »
Oh, and here's my biggest one:  Oprah Winfrey.  You're not that talented, not that bright, and not that pretty.  Yet you're a billionaire.  I appreciate that you give a lot of your money to good causes, but do you have to pat your own back about it so vigorously every friggin' time?  Oh, and guess what:  Those people at that French boutique didn't keep you locked out because you were black.  They kept you locked out BECAUSE THEY WERE CLOSED.  Period.  End of story.  Bye-bye.

Please, for the love of all that is pure, GET OVER YOURSELF.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 06:29:03 pm »
Oh, and here's my biggest one:  Oprah Winfrey.  You're not that talented, not that bright, and not that pretty.  Yet you're a billionaire.  I appreciate that you give a lot of your money to good causes, but do you have to pat your own back about it so vigorously every friggin' time?  Oh, and guess what:  Those people at that French boutique didn't keep you locked out because you were black.  They kept you locked out BECAUSE THEY WERE CLOSED.  Period.  End of story.  Bye-bye.

Please, for the love of all that is pure, GET OVER YOURSELF.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 06:29:51 pm »
I know I'll get flak for this but I'll say it anyway...

Angelina Jolie

Take her. Please. Away.

Thank you,

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

rtprod

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 06:32:13 pm »

Angelina Jolie

Take her. Please. Away.

Thank you,

L

Oh, boy, Leslie. 

Thin. Ice. 

rt

rtprod

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 06:35:29 pm »
Now this is a good thread!

I agree with the Celine Dion 100% and will raise you one Mariah Carey!

Oh, lord, not good old Mariah, you know, the one who DIDN'T suffer a nervous breakdown, just suffered from "exhaustion."  Just who was it that decided Mariah was so damn sexy?  I met her once in the Manhattan Mall, of all places, and she didn't look to be all that, to use a dumb expression that should have been buried a long time ago!  Well I'm exhausted too, but I'm not smashing plates around my house and coming here to bettermost saying, what was it again, "I just don't really know what's goin on right now, ya'll..."

And is there anyone out there who thinks the screeching teapot should just come down off the burner?  ::)

rt

« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:37:53 pm by rtprod »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 06:37:14 pm »
I have to say I don't see the beautiful-ness of Angelina Jolie... I can take her or leave her.. don't hate her but don't love her either!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 06:38:24 pm »

LOL  I actually adore him.  But I agree he does have that “I am so wonderful” attitude even (or especially) when he is making fun of himself.  Someone made an icon using his picture; I probably break the rule of using the icon but not crediting the author here, but whatever.  I thought the icon made very good points.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 06:41:20 pm »
Oh, boy, Leslie. 

Thin. Ice. 

rt

She's a hypocritical, lying, manipulative b i t c h who has glamorized cutting (an issue that is near to me right now but I won't get into it here) and is a poseur for human rights, holed up in hotel in Africa waiting to have to have a baby--and has the African equivalent of state troopers hanging out so the paparrazzi won't take a picture of her, her man, and her kids.

And what movie was she in? Mr & Mrs. Smith? Lara Croft?

Please.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 06:44:04 pm »
Wait a minute now....don't nobody better talk about my Mariah!  Yall leave Mimi alone!!   >:(

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 06:46:28 pm »
Oh, lord, not good old Mariah, you know, the one who DIDN'T suffer a nervous breakdown, just suffered from "exhaustion."  Just who was it that decided Mariah was so damn sexy?  I met her once in the Manhattan Mall, of all places, and she didn't look to be all that, to use a dumb expression that should have been buried a long time ago!  Well I'm exhausted too, but I'm not smashing plates around my house and coming here to bettermost saying, what was it again, "I just don't really know what's goin on right now, ya'll..."

And is there anyone out there who thinks the screeching teapot should just come down off the burner?  ::)

rt

HAHAHAHA   :laugh:

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 06:55:40 pm »
Oh, now you guys are gonna bond over Mariah bashing?? 

OK, just goofing.  So as not to derail the topic, one mofo I really can't stand is Dr. Phil.  He lucked out by latching onto Oprah at the right time and peddles his heavy handed advice as some kind of counseling.  Dr. Melfi from the Sopranos is a better shrink than he is.

No, wait, Barbra Streisand in The Prince of Tides is a better shrink - and she boffed her patient's brother!!

Whew, that felt good!   :D

Juan

rtprod

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 06:57:02 pm »
She's a hypocritical, lying, manipulative b i t c h who has glamorized cutting (an issue that is near to me right now but I won't get into it here) and is a poseur for human rights, holed up in hotel in Africa waiting to have to have a baby--and has the African equivalent of state troopers hanging out so the paparrazzi won't take a picture of her, her man, and her kids.

Please.

L

No, I'm sorry.  I totally, completely disagree with this.  She's no poser at all in my book, she does not play the celebrity game with the press, is not careful about what she says or does, and lives on her own terms.  I truly believe this.  If you have ever seen her interviewed--Inside the Actor's Studio was a very good one--she radiates confidence and real-ness.  She's one of the few people in this business that I respect for having convictions and understanding how shallow a thing acting can be, and preferring to use her celebrity for other reasons that are humane.  I'm not being Pollyanna-ish about her, I think she is the real deal in a sea of Stepford Wives.  And I think we have to be careful to look at the real picture and not the trumped-up press and paparazzi stalker version.  On top of this, she appears to be a very dedicated single mother.  I once remember her saying that she would not allow a man near her son until she was sure he was of character, and she was fine raising children alone. 

She's also a very talented actress, with an Oscar, three Golden Globes and a Cable-Ace under her belt.  And she has classic movie star looks, rare today.  

Um, Gia?  Wallace? Girl, Interrupted? 

I can say that I personally really love her, and thought she handled the situation with Pitt very gracefully.  

rt
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 07:02:30 pm by rtprod »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 07:03:09 pm »
There's a good video clip on one of her fan sites of an appearance on the Tonight Show.  I had heard that she went on to confront Jay Leno after he made incest jokes about her and her brother.  Seeing her actually do it was something else - she didn't lose it, but she let him know, very directly and clearly, that his comments hurt her family.  It was impressive. 

Plus homegirl's got an Oscar and three Golden Globes (no Emmys though).

Juan

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 07:07:19 pm »
How about Hugh Heffner? I give him credit for creating a successful franchise (whether you like or hate Playboy. Guess most of the people here probably don’t care or hate it  :P).  He can be charming and sharp sometimes, but he needs to get over himself with his fantasy life style and his girl friends.  I don’t need to see them on every show talking about their intimacy, sleeping arrangement, etc. After all, let’s keep in mind that Hugh Heffner is 80 years old, EIGHTY YEARS OLD!  I seriously doubt … Well, let’s not go there.  Something better reminds unspoken. ;D

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 07:07:39 pm »
No, I'm sorry.  I totally, completely disagree with this.  She's no poser at all in my book, she does not play the celebrity game with the press, is not careful about what she says or does, and lives on her own terms.  I truly believe this.  If you have ever seen her interviewed--Inside the Actor's Studio was a very good one--she radiates confidence and real-ness.  She's one of the few people in this business that I respect for having convictions and understanding how shallow a thing acting can be, and preferring to use her celebrity for other reasons that are humane.  I'm not being Pollyanna-ish about her, I think she is the real deal in a sea of Stepford Wives.  And I think we have to be careful to look at the real picture and not the trumped-up press and paparazzi stalker version.  On top of this, she appears to be a very dedicated single mother.  I once remember her saying that she would not allow a man near her son until she was sure he was of character, and she was fine raising children alone. 

She's also a very talented actress, with an Oscar, three Golden Globes and a Cable-Ace under her belt.  And she has classic movie star looks, rare today.  

I can say that I personally really love her, and thought she handled the situation with Pitt very gracefully.  

rt

I like Angelina Jolie.....I LOVED Mr. and Mrs. Smith....I thought she did good.....Brad Pitt is another story....

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 07:12:57 pm »
No, I'm sorry.  I totally, completely disagree with this.  She's no poser at all in my book, she does not play the celebrity game with the press, is not careful about what she says or does, and lives on her own terms.  I truly believe this.  If you have ever seen her interviewed--Inside the Actor's Studio was a very good one--she radiates confidence and real-ness.  She's one of the few people in this business that I respect for having convictions and understanding how shallow a thing acting can be, and preferring to use her celebrity for other reasons that are humane.  I'm not being Pollyanna-ish about her, I think she is the real deal in a sea of Stepford Wives.  And I think we have to be careful to look at the real picture and not the trumped-up press and paparazzi stalker version.  On top of this, she appears to be a very dedicated single mother.  I once remember her saying that she would not allow a man near her son until she was sure he was of character, and she was fine raising children alone. 

She's also a very talented actress, with an Oscar, three Golden Globes and a Cable-Ace under her belt.  And she has classic movie star looks, rare today. 

rt

rt, I am going to preface this with you know I love you and I do...and I really don't feel like debating the merits/demerits of Angelina Jolie, because I don't...but I just have few points to make and then we can be friends again, okay?

1) Inside the Actor's Studio-- yes I saw it, and I was largely where I formed my lying, manipulative opinion of her--I thought the entire thing was an act (okay, maybe she can act) ...this was also where she was showing off her cutting scars and intimating that this is "glamorous" and "appropriate" behavior...I have a young adolescent daughter, believe me, it ain't either
2) This is the woman who vilified her father for breaking up his marriage to have an affair...and said she would NEVER do the same thing. Excuse me? You say she handled the Brad Pitt thing gracefully, I have a different view on that.
3) Single mother, yeah, but those kids turned into Jolie-Pitt awfully fast, I think...
4) The whole UN thing makes my skin crawl

So...even bestest friends can have differences of opinions on some things...at least it's not religion or politics, that would really drive a wedge between us  ;)

hugs
L

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 07:17:27 pm »
And you can't deny that Angelina is gorgeous! 

She defines knock out!

rtprod

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 07:19:42 pm »
Leslie, likewise about you.  

But I really think you're being too cynical on her.  We have the Jolie's of the movie world to remind us how vacant the whole rest of it is.  

1. The cutting thing doesn't bother me and I don't think it was for publicity, actually don't even know that much about it but she has experimented with many things, sexual extremes and otherwise, so it fit quite well in line with who she is.

2. We don't know if they had an affair -- no one knows the timing or the circumstances.  To my memory, while shooting Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Pitt confessed to Aniston that he had strong feelings for Jolie, or that he was in love with her.  I know it sound like it was an affair, but from what I know about her I'm thinking it started officially after that.  

3. No, those kids didn't.  She had Maddox for quite some time prior to meeting Pitt.  And if you fall in love with somone, why not share your life and family together if they have the same desires? There aren't enough good parents in the world to go around.  

4. UN thing doesn't bother me, again because I have listened to her speak and seen her around the world, and I believe it's real.

Movies are religion, dear, so that what we're debating.   ;D

rt

rtprod

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 07:22:18 pm »
Wow I'm taking heat everywhere today!  :o

Let it rip!

rt

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 07:28:09 pm »
Leslie, likewise about you. 

But I really think you're being too cynical on her.  We have the Jolie's of the movie world to remind us how vacant the whole rest of it is. 

1. The cutting thing doesn't bother me and I don't think it was for publicity, actually don't even know that much about it but she has experimented with many things, sexual extremes and otherwise, so it fit quite well in line with who she is.

2. We don't know if they had an affair -- no one knows the timing or the circumstances.  To my memory, while shooting Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Pitt confessed to Aniston that he had strong feelings for Jolie, or that he was in love with her.  I know it sound like it was an affair, but from what I know about her I'm thinking it started officially after that. 

3. No, those kids didn't.  She had Maddox for quite some time prior to meeting Pitt.  And if you fall in love with somone, why not share your life and family together if they have the same desires? There aren't enough good parents in the world to go around. 

4. UN thing doesn't bother me, again because I have listened to her speak and seen her around the world, and I believe it's real.

Movies are religion, dear, so that what we're debating.   ;D

rt

Love,
Like I said, we can agree to disagree, my final point I am taking to a PM.

Everyone else, back to the original discussion...stars that need to get over themselves...

How about Zsa Zsa Gabor? I read a funny arrticle once on stars who exist to be famous because they were once famous, and ZZ was the lead...

L

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 07:28:39 pm »
Wow I'm taking heat everywhere today!  :o

Let it rip!

rt

Well we finally agree on something rt when it comes to Angelina!  And I agree she handled the Pitt situation VERY well...

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 07:37:45 pm »

Please.

L

Yeh, but do you have an opinion of her Leslie?
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 07:56:31 pm »
Wowza.  And I thought *I* was gonna take some heat for bashing George Clooney and Oprah.  ;)

In this case, can I please also say that I think Oprah is a hypocritical sack o' shite?

Thank you.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 07:59:45 pm »
Wowza.  And I thought *I* was gonna take some heat for bashing George Clooney and Oprah.  ;)

In this case, can I please also say that I think Oprah is a hypocritical sack o' shite?

Thank you.

LOL...well I don't know about that but....JK  ;D

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 08:04:59 pm »
I"m with the 'Oprah Winfrey' getting over herself.

The Hermes of Paris boutique incident just showcased the arrogance of someone used to getting what she wants and suddenly huffing when she is treated just like everyone else and not a goddess.

The horror, the horror.   ::)

Laughingly, she couldn't turn her big guns - her audience - against the shop or its owners, because after all, Middle America does not shop at such a high end store that they could make a dent in sales with any boycott.

She needs to get waaaaaaaay over herself.

I'm with rtprod.  I admire Angelina as well.

Her philanthropy is real - even Pitt has admired the millions of dollars she has donated to refugee and other organizations.  She spends the majority of her time touring troubled areas of the world and speaking out, she adopted Maddox and planned to adopt more before Pitt even showed up on the scene.  I don't think showing her cutting was glamorizing it.  Instead she might have been very open and public with it in order to reassure those young people out there who DO self-infliction that they are not alone and perhaps they should come out with their predicament.

She handled the Pitt situation with great care.

Again, many people call her a homewrecker - but on what evidence?

Does Angelina really need to have an affair with a married man?  She can pretty much have anyone she might want and she doesn't have to sneak around.  After all, Pitt might have come on to her, and based on her own mother's bad experience with infidelity, she might have insisted he get divorced before they mess around.

And he couldn't do it fast enough.  Apparently he hasn't looked back.

You can't 'steal' anyone.  They go quite willingly into another's arms.

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 08:07:49 pm »
I'm with rtprod.  I admire Angelina as well.

Del,

I know we should hide this thread from you.  Too late by now. ;)

Anyway, it's another unproductive but fun afternoon, and I blame everyone for it. :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:09:44 pm by JennyC »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2006, 08:14:26 pm »
Del,

I know we should hide this thread from you.  Too late by now. ;)

Too late!  ;D

Anyway, it's another unproductive but fun afternoon, and I blame everyone for it. :)

:laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2006, 08:29:05 pm »
Re: Ms. Angelina Jolie--I realize we all hold strong opinions and we don't always agree.
On a particularly sensitive issue, I have communicated with rt privately.
For the rest, we can agree to disagree.

For the point of this thread, my opionion still stands but no need to belabor this point any more.

Let's move on to the next "get over it star," shall we?

hugs to all
L
xo

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2006, 09:21:45 pm »
You're breaking my heart, Leslie.  ;) Angie and her life/past raises personal issues for me too, but in good ways. I just love her. But we're allowed to disagree about some things, I s'pose. If you start dissing Jake, however, it's over, babe.   :D

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2006, 01:17:23 am »
Dave Letterman should get WELL over himself.  I don't know that he supports any causes but the man has no idea what a turd he is!
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2006, 02:40:45 am »

Angelina Jolie

Take her. Please. Away.

Thank you,

L

I ain't gettin into any tussles again. I'm too tired and too sick to be bothered. But Leslie, i just gotta say... I love Angie. But believe me, I totally understand the reasons you don't like her cause I live with a family of people who think she's just an attention-seeking media tart. But hell, that would have nothing to do with the fact that they'd all give both arms and possibly even a leg to have her youth, beauty, beau and bank account.  :-\

I think she's fabulously talented and just sooo beautiful. I love her.
Chut up!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2006, 05:40:07 am »
You're breaking my heart, Leslie.  ;) Angie and her life/past raises personal issues for me too, but in good ways. I just love her. But we're allowed to disagree about some things, I s'pose. If you start dissing Jake, however, it's over, babe.   :D

I will never, ever diss Jake, sweetheart, you have my word on that!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2006, 05:58:09 am »
TOM CRUISE

GEORGE W. BUSH

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

rtprod

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2006, 10:23:16 am »

Well I'll take this one on and chance steering the subject in a wrong-headed direction.

Jake, GET OVER YOURSELF, and realize that "kissing another human being with a soul," as your co-star so elegantly put it, was just that----none of us really need to know how you confronted your own lifelong "homophobia" and the degree of "difficulty" it took, in order to enjoy a beautiful movie. 

Now you all can say it:  "RT, GET OVER YOURSELF!"   ;D

rt

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2006, 10:31:08 am »
Well I'll take this one on and chance steering the subject in a wrong-headed direction.

Jake, GET OVER YOURSELF, and realize that "kissing another human being with a soul," as your co-star so elegantly put it, was just that----none of us really need to know how you confronted your own lifelong "homophobia" and the degree of "difficulty" it took, in order to enjoy a beautiful movie. 

rt

Do you think it may be because, uh, ahem, Mr. G is perhaps confused about his own sexuality? Hmmm?

L

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2006, 11:40:04 am »

Now you all can say it:  "RT, GET OVER YOURSELF!"   ;D

rt

rt, you are on dangerous ground here. ;D

I agree that Jake did not handle the whole kissing another guy and the intimacy very gracefully.  Over all, he is still a very likeable person.

Do you think it may be because, uh, ahem, Mr. G is perhaps confused about his own sexuality? Hmmm?

L

Leslie, I don't know if it's because Jake is confused about his own sexuality.  Don't want to venture a guess there. 

My take is this is a direct reflection of his anxiety to all the media attention on the topic.  I cut him some slack since he is still very young and have to stand for all the scrutiny on his sexuality.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2006, 12:36:51 pm »
I can think of one, no actually TWO, French actors you may have heard of, who fall into this category:

Alain Delon: now, you'll never catch HIM smiling, too damn self important for that. And he is at the political extreme right.

Gérard Depardieu: sorry, can't bear him. He loves himself, in fact he never ACTS, he is always his over the top self. (I only liked him in "Cyrano de Bergerac")

And yes, Tom f***ing Cruise, anytime!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2006, 12:54:48 pm »

I agree that Jake did not handle the whole kissing another guy and the intimacy very gracefully.  Over all, he is still a very likeable person.

Leslie, I don't know if it's because Jake is confused about his own sexuality.  Don't want to venture a guess there. 

My take is this is a direct reflection of his anxiety to all the media attention on the topic.  I cut him some slack since he is still very young and have to stand for all the scrutiny on his sexuality.

Well said, Jenny.  I agree wholeheartedly on all counts.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2006, 01:07:14 pm »

Yep I agree.....I personally didn't see anything wrong with what he said...he was honest and open!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2006, 02:05:20 pm »

See, this is one reason I try to avoid seeing the actors from BBM in so-called "real life" -- on Oprah or anywhere else. (Still, I can't resist print interviews with Heath, and he does usually sound smart and honorable and cool, particularly in that Rolling Stone one.)

rtprod

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2006, 02:07:58 pm »
See, this is one reason I try to avoid seeing the actors from BBM in so-called "real life" -- on Oprah or anywhere else. (Still, I can't resist print interviews with Heath, and he does usually sound smart and honorable and cool, particularly in that Rolling Stone one.)

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. 

Jake attached some very distracting baggage to those beautiful scenes.  Who wants to think about him being so skittish when we're trying to focus on the unbridled passion of the characters?

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 02:51:12 pm »
Jake attached some very distracting baggage to those beautiful scenes.  Who wants to think about him being so skittish when we're trying to focus on the unbridled passion of the characters?

I understand what you are saying.  If you ask me, I wish he could handle the whole thing more elegantly.  Particular for Jake who said he wants to take how he feels at the moment into the scenes.  His comments could be taken as undermining the powerful passion that we witnessed on screen.

Jake is inconsistent in different interviews on this topic.  But I certainly don’t think that this is his bandwagon, unlike some of the other stars we are talking about here.  All the comments are specific to the questions related to a few scenes in this one movie.  He does not act this way in other instances. Jake is the one who said that Jack died the moment when he realized that he and Ennis could not be together.  That’s some powerful statement that I will always remember Jake by.  He has a deep understanding of the movie, just not comfortable when the focus turns onto things that could be used against him on his sexuality. 

Not trying to be argumentative here, just don’t think Jake qualifies as the stars and their bandwagons that we want to bash here. I am a Heathen after all, so I will leave defending Jake to more capable hands of all Jake fans here.  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 03:02:57 pm »
I understand what you are saying.  If you ask me, I wish he could handle the whole thing more elegantly.  Particular for Jake who said he wants to take how he feels at the moment into the scenes.  His comments could be taken as undermining the powerful passion that we witnessed on screen.

Jake is inconsistent in different interviews on this topic.  But I certainly don’t think that this is his bandwagon, unlike some of the other stars we are talking about here.  All the comments are specific to the questions related to a few scenes in this one movie.  He does not act this way in other instances. Jake is the one who said that Jack died the moment when he realized that he and Ennis could not be together.  That’s some powerful statement that I will always remember Jake by.  He has a deep understanding of the movie, just not comfortable when the focus turns onto things that could be used against him on his sexuality. 

Not trying to be argumentative here, just don’t think Jake qualifies as the stars and their bandwagons that we want to bash here. I am a Heathen after all, so I will leave defending Jake to more capable hands of all Jake fans here.  :)

Actually, Jenny, you've done just fine.  :)

I'll only add that while I see where you're coming from, dear rt, and I admit that I was disappointed to learn of Jake saying and doing the things you've cited, like Jenny and others here I look at it in the context of what he was being asked by all those idiot interviewers.  It's not like he just blurted this stuff out when no one was asking about it - he was being put on the spot specifically about how it felt as a straight man to make out with another man.  I see him as actually trying not to insult the interviewers in his replies (even though they very often deserved it) while at the same time trying to be honest in admitting that he came into it with the same ingrained homophobia that very unfortunately most straight men in this country share.

No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 03:41:49 pm »
Points all well taken, my friends. 

Let's steer back to another celebrity GET OVER YOURSELF moment.

Actually, how about two that I respect and admire:  Elizabeth Taylor and Sharon Stone for AmfAR.  I believe Stone is the current spokesperson, if I'm not mistaken, and Taylor did much service for years prior to that. 

Stone is a great lady, and at a recent luncheon she took time to meet the kitchen staff and thank them personally.  She's got real class.

rt 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:43:52 pm by rtprod »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2006, 04:27:02 pm »
rt, I am so glad you said that about Sharon Stone, because i LOVE her  ;D
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2006, 09:34:36 pm »
I can think of one, no actually TWO, French actors you may have heard of, who fall into this category:

Alain Delon: now, you'll never catch HIM smiling, too damn self important for that. And he is at the political extreme right.

Ye gods, Alain Delon?!??!  He's still around??!?!?   He used to be a god in his heyday he was so good looking, but I imagine his ego got the better of him.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2006, 06:32:37 am »
Yes Del, he is still around. Never did smile a lot - even when he was 8 months old, I'd bet.
" - I'm vegan now."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2006, 10:12:04 pm »
Yes Del, he is still around. Never did smile a lot - even when he was 8 months old, I'd bet.

Maybe he's got bad teeth?  ;D

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2006, 04:50:32 am »
Points all well taken, my friends. 

Let's steer back to another celebrity GET OVER YOURSELF moment.

Actually, how about two that I respect and admire:  Elizabeth Taylor and Sharon Stone for AmfAR.  I believe Stone is the current spokesperson, if I'm not mistaken, and Taylor did much service for years prior to that. 

Stone is a great lady, and at a recent luncheon she took time to meet the kitchen staff and thank them personally.  She's got real class.

rt 

I love these two actresses..  Elizabeth Taylor ... even when I look at her now.. will still be that exuberant, stunningly-beautiful, violet-eyed child from National Velvet..  I wish it was on DVD here, it would sit proudly in my collection..

And rt, I have heard that about Sharon Stone.. she always takes the time to acknowledge the people a lot of wealthy and famous people couldn't give a toss about.  She's always had that humanitarian aspect to her..  Got a lot of admiration for both of them..
Chut up!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2006, 09:51:41 am »
How about Hugh Heffner? I give him credit for creating a successful franchise (whether you like or hate Playboy. Guess most of the people here probably don’t care or hate it  :P).  He can be charming and sharp sometimes, but he needs to get over himself with his fantasy life style and his girl friends.  I don’t need to see them on every show talking about their intimacy, sleeping arrangement, etc. After all, let’s keep in mind that Hugh Heffner is 80 years old, EIGHTY YEARS OLD!  I seriously doubt … Well, let’s not go there.  Something better reminds unspoken. ;D

When Hugh Hefner came out with the line "80 is the new 40" all I could think of was "so, 160 is the new 80?"
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40