Author Topic: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way  (Read 121674 times)

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2006, 09:00:34 am »
IMO, one of the most amazing things about BBM is that it is completely both at the same time. It is a personal love story with no overt message at all. If a Martian watched it, he/she/it would be oblivious to any larger political implications.

Meanwhile, the story subtly plays upon what viewers know about real life, and tells us something about what society imposes on gay people in general, in 1960s Wyoming as well as in many other eras and cultures. For example, the very fact that the final images involve closets -- the word we happen to use to describe hidden homosexuality -- is not the least bit accidental. The beauty is that it's never at all preachy or hit-you-over-the-head obvious.

I do agree with you, latjoreme. I should have stated that there is not a social/ politcal agenda in this film. It is not stating that homosexuality is right or wrong or that there should be a law allowing gays to marry, etc. It is a story of these two men living in a time and a place where societal constraints paid a toll on their relationship and everyone else around them.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline ottoblom

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2006, 06:17:47 pm »
I've always felt that ol' man Twist's "Tell you what, I know where Brokeback Mountain is," was a pretty loaded line.  But how much he actually does know about Jack I'm not sure.   

And some people think he's taunting Ennis with the talk about Jack coming to Lightning Flat with the "other fella."

My feeling is that he doesn't know much, but is a know-it-all and has an almost instinctive "gift" for upsetting other people.  Jack must've had some childhood.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #192 on: July 01, 2006, 04:36:07 pm »
Yes, pneumonia is a disease of the lungs, but it is a very contagious disease, spread by bacteria which travel through the air.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2006, 10:27:00 am »
(I apologize if this has been said before...)

Ennis Del Mar means island (isolated) in the sea (of homophobia, pain, loneliness) but mar also means damage (noun and verb), and Ennis certainly was damaged and never escaped it, and caused more himself, though never intentionally.

and the word is used in Annie's description of the dozy embrace: Nothing marred it - the damage both men carried didn't diminish the memory
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:09:17 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2006, 10:53:08 am »
(I apologize if this has been said before...)

Del Mar means island (isolated) in the sea (of homophobia, pain, loneliness) but mar also means damage (noun and verb), and Ennis certainly was damaged and never escaped it, and caused more himself, though never intentionally.

and the word is used in Annie's description of the dozy embrace: Nothing marred it - the damage both men carried didn't diminish the memory

I love that, thanks!  Beautiful observation.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2006, 01:09:15 pm »
Del Mar means island (isolated) in the sea (of homophobia, pain, loneliness) but mar also means damage (noun and verb), and Ennis certainly was damaged and never escaped it, and caused more himself, though never intentionally.

Oooh ... that is something I did not know.  Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing that.

Another one:  "Gonna snow tonight for sure."  Snow was the harbinger of the early end of their summer on Brokeback, and here it's the harbinger of the early end of their relationship and Jack's life.  Breaks my heart every time I hear him say it.

As for ednbarby's quote above:  For whatever reason I never put that together.  That's quite the foreshadowing statement!  I didn't think that scene could possibily be any sadder - guess I was wrong!!

That's the thing I really like about this movie.  Everytime I watch it, I learn something new!
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2006, 06:19:40 pm »

Great observation concerning the double meaning of Del Mar! :)

Of course, it made me think of the double meanings of "Twist".  Except there aren't only double meanings, but rather ten times double meanings. Now as far as I know, the name was used by AP because it is related to a rodeo rider's movement while on the bull. But in addition, any brief look at a dictionary would give the following other meanings that could also be relevant for Jack (in addition to a heap of others, that I couldn't immediately connect to him....)

* To wind together so as to produce a single strand

* To coil about something

* To interlock or interlace

* To turn so as to face another direction

* To turn or open by turning

* To wrench or sprain (........can you twist a heart??)

* To alter the normal aspect of

* To alter the intended meaning of

* A personal inclination or eccentricity; a penchant

* A dance characterized by vigorous gyrations of the hips and arms  ;)

* An unexpected change in a process or a departure from a pattern: a twist of fate; a story with a quirky twist.

In addition, I recall that when I first joined the BBM fandom, there was some slight grumbling because some people took the "Twist" name to be hinting at something twisted, ie. unnatural - or as the dictionary would define it: "To alter or distort the mental, moral, or emotional character of." How weird that anyone could see the film or read the story and chose to interpret the name that particular way.....  ::)

« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:27:59 pm by Mikaela »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2006, 07:09:29 pm »
Wow, I never thought about all those meanings, Mikaela.   Thanks for pointing them out!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2006, 07:40:53 pm »

Of course, it made me think of the double meanings of "Twist".  Except there aren't only double meanings, but rather ten times double meanings. Now as far as I know, the name was used by AP because it is related to a rodeo rider's movement while on the bull. But in addition, any brief look at a dictionary would give the following other meanings that could also be relevant for Jack (in addition to a heap of others, that I couldn't immediately connect to him....)

* To wind together so as to produce a single strand

* To coil about something

* To interlock or interlace

* To turn so as to face another direction

* To turn or open by turning

* To wrench or sprain (........can you twist a heart??)

* To alter the normal aspect of

* To alter the intended meaning of

* A personal inclination or eccentricity; a penchant

* A dance characterized by vigorous gyrations of the hips and arms  ;)

* An unexpected change in a process or a departure from a pattern: a twist of fate; a story with a quirky twist.

In addition, I recall that when I first joined the BBM fandom, there was some slight grumbling because some people took the "Twist" name to be hinting at something twisted, ie. unnatural - or as the dictionary would define it: "To alter or distort the mental, moral, or emotional character of." How weird that anyone could see the film or read the story and chose to interpret the name that particular way.....  ::)

I found this interview with Jake Gyllenhaal which backs up what you are saying …

Jake Gyllenhaal’s Positive Feedback from Writer Annie Proulx:
“Annie Proulx wrote me a note very recently that has made - no matter what happens and how people respond to the film - has made the entire movie, making it totally worth it. She wrote me a note with a limited edition copy of ‘Close Range,’ which is the book that ‘Brokeback Mountain,’ the short story, is in. And in it she said that Jack Twist refers to, ‘twist’ refers to the strength of thighs and butt muscles that a bull rider has to have in order to stay on the bull. I had never really thought of it that way. It’s so funny. It’s so clearly in your face the whole time and you never really know what that is. I thought, ‘Yeah, there’s a real endurance.’

I find it amusing that you have pretty much said the same thing! ;)
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline Kajunite

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #199 on: July 12, 2006, 05:10:09 pm »
Okay I'm a slow reader! ;D   I hope to get some of these sharp wits to comment on this line.  Bartender,  "Ever try calf ropin'?"  Puleezzee!