Author Topic: OT: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND is....  (Read 11416 times)

rtprod

OT: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND is....
« on: May 24, 2006, 10:29:16 am »
...not bad, but not exactly what the trailer promises either. 

Questions?  Just ask.   ;D

rt
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 10:36:04 am by rtprod »

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: OT: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND is....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 10:44:23 am »
when does this come out? friday? I guess I could just look it up, but it seemed much easier to ask you  ;)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

rtprod

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 10:50:25 am »
Yes it comes out Friday.  I'm sure it will do well this weekend.

rt

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 11:06:18 am »
So is it as good as the first two?

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:13:05 am »
Hey rt,

Sorry this is unrelated to X-Men, but have you seen Babel? I read it is a masterpiece.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

rtprod

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 11:49:15 am »
So is it as good as the first two?

Much better than the first, which I didn't like.  But not better than the second, which I felt was maybe more emotionally rounded (yes, I know it's a comic book film but it felt deeper). 

rtprod

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 11:49:51 am »
Hey rt,

Sorry this is unrelated to X-Men, but have you seen Babel? I read it is a masterpiece.

hey you-

I have not seen it but am waiting anxiously....

rt

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 01:10:56 pm »
*so jealous* I can't wait to see it.

It was just 'not bad' ? Elaborate. What was the best and worst aspect of the movie? What would you give it, in a percentage?

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 01:13:57 pm »
Cool!  I'll see it tomorrow mornin...

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 01:22:15 pm »
*so jealous* I can't wait to see it.

It was just 'not bad' ? Elaborate. What was the best and worst aspect of the movie? What would you give it, in a percentage?

It's maybe 3 stars.  It simply didn't thrill me until the final sequence between Jean and Wolverine.  Not quite sure how this happened, but Ratner doesn't pump the action up to the level it needs to be, IMO. 

This is more a "sum of the parts" experience where certain scenes resonate---Jean ("Phoenix") attempting to seduce Wolverine after waking up, Jean levitating her childhood home in a face-off with Magneto and Xavier, Jean obliterating Alcatraz and turning the armies to dust with a feral, Carrie-like and almost demonic presence in the film's climax. 

In other words, this film belongs to Famke Janssen who is alternately sympathetic and terrifying, and the introduction of her "schizophrenic" personalities gives her a chance to really run with the ball.  The last scene between her and Wolverine is really something and I wish the rest of the film had been as gripping.  She's way underrated in the biz.

Ian McKellen is also terrific here, as in everything.  What other actor today can bring the same sterling authority to X-Men and Lord of the Rings, and just as comfortably to Da Vinci or Gods and Monsters or Richard III?  I saw him a few seasons ago on Broadway in Stridberg's Dance of Death with Helen Mirren, and he blew me away (as did she).  And I love how outspoken he is.  Almost like a hero to me these days...

I found the theme (curing the "disease") to be heavy-handed and a little bit silly. 

I liked it enough, I suppose, but wanted to love it.  Ben Foster is really striking in a few scenes...

I also checked my watch a few times.......   
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 11:09:11 pm by rtprod »