Author Topic: OT: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND is....  (Read 11414 times)

vkm91941

Re: OT: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND is....
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 04:55:36 pm »
It's maybe 3 stars.  It simply didn't thrill me until the final sequence between Jean and Wolverine.  Not quite sure how this happened, but Ratner doesn't pump the action up to the level it needs to be, IMO. 

This is more a "sum of the parts" experience where certain scenes resonate---Jean ("Phoenix") attempting to seduce Wolverine after waking up, Jean levitating her childhood home in a face-off with Magneto and Xavier, Jean obliterating Alcatraz and turning the armies to dust with a feral, Carrie-like and almost demonic presence in the film's climax. 

In other words, this film belongs to Famke Janssen who is alternately sympathetic and terrifying, and the introduction of her "schizophrenic" personalities gives her a chance to really run with the ball.  The last scene between her and Wolverine is really something and I wish the rest of the film had been as gripping.  She's way underrated in the biz.

Ian McKellen is also terrific here, as in everything.  What other actor today can bring the same sterling authority to X-Men and just as comfortably to Da Vinci or Gods and Monsters or Richard III?  I saw him a few seasons ago on Broadway in Stridberg's Dance of Death with Helen Mirren, and he blew me away (as did she).  And I love how outspoken he is.  Almost like a hero to me these days...

I found the theme (curing the "disease") to be heavy-handed and a little bit silly. 

I liked it enough, I suppose, but wanted to love it.  Ben Foster is really striking in a few scenes...

I also checked my watch a few times.......   

Sounds like I won't be disappointed I spent my $7 ($21) bucks!  Cool, of course I would have spent it even if it was a stinker because my boys love X-men and we always go together LOL...keeps me cool in their eyes  8)  So Friday afterschool we'll be there.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 04:58:34 pm »

Thanks, rt...

I didn't know anything about this X-Men movie and to hear there is actually a face-off between Wolverine and Jean.. wow...   ;D

Can't wait to see it.
Chut up!

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 05:45:56 pm »
I'm dying to see it too, and I probably will tomorrow night.  There are a bunch of midnight showings here in the city. 

Can I make a general request?  If a thread or post is going into detail about a movie, to put SPOILERS in the subject somewhere?  I know I could just avoid the thread before I see it, but I like the discussion and just want to be forewarned if someone's gonna give something away.  Thanks.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

rtprod

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 10:06:56 pm »
I'm dying to see it too, and I probably will tomorrow night.  There are a bunch of midnight showings here in the city. 

Can I make a general request?  If a thread or post is going into detail about a movie, to put SPOILERS in the subject somewhere?  I know I could just avoid the thread before I see it, but I like the discussion and just want to be forewarned if someone's gonna give something away.  Thanks.

Juan

Oh, I didn't know I gave anything away.  I historically have put spoilers on my posts but in this case I think I just isolated a few scenes.

Sorry.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 12:46:45 am »
No prob, it wasn't anything you wrote specifically.  I glanced over the thread and when I thought I read stuff about Phoenix and Wolverine, I quickly averted my eyes  8)  I will know all soon enough, just 24 hours away...... ;D

Juan

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 09:18:47 am »
My eyes are circled because of it but I went to see a midnight showing.  I loved it, I'll probably see it again over the weekend.  Emotionally it was very intense because of the fate of a few major characters, which ultimately I found to be a pretty bold choice.  The idea for a cure to the mutant gene worked for me, since it continues the theme of prejudice and stigma.  Some of the action sequences were amazing, and I loved how Wolverine and Storm were more center stage this time around, especially Storm.

I went with a friend who had only seen parts of X-2 and explained to her about the Phoenix storyline in the comics, and the way it was adapted for the movie was fine, no more incredulous than what the character's been through in the books.  It wasn't as good as the second one, which set a pretty high standard.  There were a ton of new characters, most of whom were handled well, especially Beast, Angel and Leech.  Yeah, I'm gonna see it again by Monday, good stuff.

Juan

rtprod

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 10:59:00 am »
My eyes are circled because of it but I went to see a midnight showing.  I loved it, I'll probably see it again over the weekend.  Emotionally it was very intense because of the fate of a few major characters, which ultimately I found to be a pretty bold choice.  The idea for a cure to the mutant gene worked for me, since it continues the theme of prejudice and stigma.  Some of the action sequences were amazing, and I loved how Wolverine and Storm were more center stage this time around, especially Storm.

I went with a friend who had only seen parts of X-2 and explained to her about the Phoenix storyline in the comics, and the way it was adapted for the movie was fine, no more incredulous than what the character's been through in the books.  It wasn't as good as the second one, which set a pretty high standard.  There were a ton of new characters, most of whom were handled well, especially Beast, Angel and Leech.  Yeah, I'm gonna see it again by Monday, good stuff.

Juan

Hi Juan,

I agree with you it wasn't as good as the second one.  And I thought Angel was pretty much wasted.  Something seemed off to me here which I think was Ratner and much of the action I thought was not very imaginatively shot -- did you happen to notice that the camera doesn't really move enough?  Maybe it was just me.  Maybe you really have to be a fan of the comics to love this one, whereas the second one was a classy movie for anyone. 

rt
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 11:04:35 am by rtprod »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 11:22:05 am »
I agree with you there about being more into it as a comics fan.  I could almost tick off the different storylines that it drew from.  And it was easy to blame Ratner for any detail that I thought was 'off', like Calisto's powers/appearance.  You thought Angel was wasted?  Everytime he swooped on those wings it gave me a little rush, and I guess his big moment was towards the end with his father.  And swooping around mostly shirtless didn't hurt.

Juan

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 12:29:18 pm »
It's maybe 3 stars.  It simply didn't thrill me until the final sequence between Jean and Wolverine.  Not quite sure how this happened, but Ratner doesn't pump the action up to the level it needs to be, IMO. 

This is more a "sum of the parts" experience where certain scenes resonate---Jean ("Phoenix") attempting to seduce Wolverine after waking up, Jean levitating her childhood home in a face-off with Magneto and Xavier, Jean obliterating Alcatraz and turning the armies to dust with a feral, Carrie-like and almost demonic presence in the film's climax. 

In other words, this film belongs to Famke Janssen who is alternately sympathetic and terrifying, and the introduction of her "schizophrenic" personalities gives her a chance to really run with the ball.  The last scene between her and Wolverine is really something and I wish the rest of the film had been as gripping.  She's way underrated in the biz.

Ian McKellen is also terrific here, as in everything.  What other actor today can bring the same sterling authority to X-Men and just as comfortably to Da Vinci or Gods and Monsters or Richard III?  I saw him a few seasons ago on Broadway in Stridberg's Dance of Death with Helen Mirren, and he blew me away (as did she).  And I love how outspoken he is.  Almost like a hero to me these days...

I found the theme (curing the "disease") to be heavy-handed and a little bit silly. 

I liked it enough, I suppose, but wanted to love it.  Ben Foster is really striking in a few scenes...

I also checked my watch a few times.......   

RT, I agree with most of your assessments. The film was entertaining but not all that impressive. The whole "Last Stand" battle should have felt more epic than it turned out to be. I disagree with it be Famke's film. Maybe it's because I'm was an Xmen fan in my teen and college years, but was disappointed with the characterization of Pheonix. She is Jean's uninhibited superego, but she goes through most of the film with a black expression on her face. We see her beginning coming out as she tries to seduce Logan. We see her struggle with herself a few times, but I was wanting Pheonix to be full of rage and emotions, and I wanted to see Jean struggling to take control more.

The one scene that really hit me was the scene with young Warren in the bathroom. I don't think it's a secret that the plight of the Xmen have been compared to that of the gay and lesbian community. I think that's why it's got such a following with gay and lesbian teens. That scene broke my heart, because how many of us have stood in the bathroom crying, hating ourselves so much, wishing we could cut out what it was that made us gay? And it reminded me again how alone we all were growing up. That we were so afraid of our parents who are suppose to love and protect us.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 12:32:04 pm »
btw, if you enjoyed the film enough to stay to the end, you must sit to the very end of the credits.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.