Author Topic: OT: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND is....  (Read 11417 times)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
Re: OT: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND is....
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 12:34:39 pm »
And I thought Angel was pretty much wasted.

yet another point I agree with. Starting off with the bathroom scene, his character had so much promise for development, emotionally. I would have liked to see more of it. While the swooping was fun to see, especially shirtless, it didn't give me much of a connection with his character.

I wonder, if maybe they're setting up for the next mutant movies. It's been said that this is the last Xmen movie, but there are talk of spin offs. I certainly expect there'll be a Wolverine movie. I wonder too with introduction of all the young characters, even making Angle younger, they may be setting up for a teen mutant movie.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:37:34 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 11:22:16 am »
btw, if you enjoyed the film enough to stay to the end, you must sit to the very end of the credits.
I didn't know this the first time!!!!  So after dinner last night, my friends and I went to see it again.  Brief but worth it!

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 11:40:05 am »
Ahh shit, I didn't know that. I'm gonna have to see it again now. BTW, I liked it a lot!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 10:38:38 pm »
Finally saw it.  I think it was up there with the 2nd episode in emotional impact.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!  SPOILERS!!!!!

The theme of mutation 'cures' was really good and done well with both the pros and cons shown.  You could sympathize with both PsOV.

Angel - while gorgeous - was unnecessary.

The entire movie is geared up for a battle...what does Angel do?

Fly.

A nice, easy target to shoot down with that big, pretty wingspan.

He wouldn't have been much help.

Plus, you know that Xavier's School is on the east coast, and the final battle takes place on the west coast...

Boy, Angel must have been flapping them wings like mad to get there...or he probably just threw on a coat and took an early flight to get there in time.

Rogue was also taken out of the action as she didn't have the talents for a stand up fight.

Kurt, the Night Crawler would have come in handy at the fight, but we guessed he went back to the circus.

We all wondered why Magneto needed an 'army' at all, since Phoenix was more than capable of dealing with all and sundry.

We did think that Rogue and Leech would have made a good couple.  She would have been able to touch him.

But we did wonder why she came back to the school.  She wasn't a mutant anymore.  Why didn't she just go home?

The face-off bewteen Phoenix and Wolverine was really good - Phoenix who can destroy and Wolverine who regenerates and can't really be destroyed.  We were hoping Phoenix would manage to rip ALL of Wolverine's clothes off at the end.

Damn.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:41:29 pm by delalluvia »

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 11:03:58 pm »
I watched this film, also saw one and two (and enjoyed them all), but for some reason I was hoping for something more in this.  I thought the end was a bit corny. 

One thing I really like about the X-Men films is they bring in emotional impact which some action flicks don't have to this extent.  I would recommend it but would caution it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

But we did wonder why she came back to the school.  She wasn't a mutant anymore.  Why didn't she just go home?

She was in love with Bobby - that was the whole point of her taking the "cure".  That's why she came back to the school.

However, in light of the spoilerific ending, she might not have much time to touch him.   
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 11:11:11 pm »
I watched this film, also saw one and two (and enjoyed them all), but for some reason I was hoping for something more in this.  I thought the end was a bit corny.

Which ending?  ;D 

One thing I really like about the X-Men films is they bring in emotional impact which some action flicks don't have to this extent.  I would recommend it but would caution it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

What were you expecting?

She was in love with Bobby - that was the whole point of her taking the "cure".  That's why she came back to the school.

So, in spite of Wolverine's warning, she DID do it for Bobby and their relationship and not for herself.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 11:12:01 pm »
I guess I better see it soon.....tomorrow I suppose!

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 11:32:54 pm »
Which ending?  ;D 

What were you expecting?

So, in spite of Wolverine's warning, she DID do it for Bobby and their relationship and not for herself.

*SPOILERS*

I was expecting something different regarding Jean and Logan.  I hadn't read anything prior to watching the film, so I hadn't spoiled myself in any way.  I guess I didn't know what Pheonix was going to be like in this installment, so that was a surprise.  I was stunned that Jean killed Scott...that came out of left field for me.  The whole thing went down differently than I expected, but it wasn't entirely a bad thing.

Yeah, I think Marie did it for Bobby more than anything, but I do think she had a lot of her own motivations on needing to be able to touch anyone, not just Bobby.  But she came back for him, so I think that was her bigger motivation.
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 12:19:16 am »
*SPOILERS*

I was expecting something different regarding Jean and Logan.  I hadn't read anything prior to watching the film, so I hadn't spoiled myself in any way.  I guess I didn't know what Pheonix was going to be like in this installment, so that was a surprise.  I was stunned that Jean killed Scott...that came out of left field for me.  The whole thing went down differently than I expected, but it wasn't entirely a bad thing.

OK, I had kinda heard what was going to happen and I knew from the comic books about Phoenix, so that wasn't a surprise at all.

Yeah, I think Marie did it for Bobby more than anything, but I do think she had a lot of her own motivations on needing to be able to touch anyone, not just Bobby.  But she came back for him, so I think that was her bigger motivation.

Agree.  Marie needed to do it for herself, but she is a very young woman and puppy love/first love/jealousy/insecurity is a very strong motivator.

rtprod

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 01:05:55 pm »
I saw it again and liked it much better the second time.  However, I do think the scene at the end of the credits is beyond silly, one of those reversals that calls into question every single thing you've seen for three films. 

Could have easily done without that little "twist."