Author Topic: Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon  (Read 9348 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:55:59 pm »
Saturday, I went out and bought Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) for the 4th time in my life. I bought the album when it first came out in January 1973, then bought a second album a few years later when the first one got all scratched up. Then I bought the CD and had to buy a second CD when the first one broke in two.

I explicitly remember buying the album the first time 33 years ago. Omigod, I thought, has it been that long? If I could count up the minutes of time I have listened to this music, it would probably be a good chunk of my life--a really good chunk.

A few interesting Dark Side tidbits...(this is from Wikipedia)

The Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best-selling albums of all time worldwide, and the 20th-best-selling album in the United States. It peaked at #1 on The Billboard 200 and spent a record total of 741 consecutive weeks (over 14 years) on that list. To this day, it occupies a prominent spot on Billboard's Pop Catalog Chart, reaching #1 when the 2003 Hybrid SACD edition sold 800,000 copies in the U.S. alone. On the week of May 5, 2006, The Dark Side of the Moon achieved a combined total of 1500 weeks on the Billboard 200 and Pop Catalog charts.

Sales of the album worldwide total over 40 million as of 2004, with an average of 8,000 copies sold per week and a total of 400,000 in the year of 2002 — making it the 200th-best-selling album of that year nearly three decades after its initial release. It is estimated that one in every 14 people in the U.S. under the age of 50 owns a copy.

Any other Dark Side fans out there?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 03:05:37 pm »
Yes.  Here I am.  :)

I'm one of those one in fourteen.  Actually, I own two copies - one vinyl and one CD.

You raise the blade, you make the change, you rearrange me 'til I'm sane...

Good f***ing stuff.
No more beans!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 04:35:38 pm »
Hey, other fan here! I used to listen to this album and others by PF in the 80's, on tapes because I was travelling a lot after 1984. Then I sort of lost my tapes in my numerous removals, and moved on from Pink Floyd.
Then what d'ya know, about a week ago I went to the theatre to watch a film from Quebec called C.R.A.Z.Y; it is autobiographical, about the first 20 years of a guy born in 1960, and there's a superb soundtrack, with bits of the Dark Side... so only 2 days ago, I went out and bought the CD! I am over the rainbow, and in fact will have to go and get "Wish you were here" too, as the movie has some of it also, and it was one of my favourite albums by Pink Floyd!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 06:15:41 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 08:56:50 pm »
Hey there lnicoll, another DSOTM fan here too.  Somewhere I've got the CD and a DVD-AUDIO version in 5.1 sound that was taken from the quadraphonic LP that was clearly in mint-condition at the time.  I got it from a friend of a friend, some muso in put it together I think.  Now that is an amazing experience, to here DSOTM in quadraphonic stereo!  I'm pretty sure there's a remixed DVD-AUDIO version available these days, but there's something about the vinal version...

Another good thing to look for is the making of the dark side documentary on DVD.  The documentary itself only goes for 50 minutes or so, but it's pure gold, and there are about another 30 minutes of extras that didn't make it into the doco and have Roger and Dave mostly doing acoustic versions.

It's probably the most important album ever put down, single-handedly changing the direction of music in its day, and still an amazing achievement by today's standards, after all they created the sounds and effects manually, the clocks going off for example were recorded on a tape that they spliced into a loop and fed it into a tape player with the other end of the tape stretched out by a rod that someone held some distance away.
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 06:09:51 am »
Anyone here ever tried the synchronization to the Wizard of Oz? I've read about it but never seen/done it.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 08:45:16 am »
I only vaguely remember hearing about this, can you remind me what this was about?
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 08:49:33 am »
I only vaguely remember hearing about this, can you remind me what this was about?

Supposedly, if you play DSOTM together with The Wizard of Oz, there are songs and scenes that seem to be synchronized. Pink Floyd denies it, says if there is anything, it is just a coincidence. I've never tried it so I don't know how "complete" this synchronization really is...curious if anyone else has ever seen it?

L

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 09:32:02 am »
Supposedly, if you play DSOTM together with The Wizard of Oz, there are songs and scenes that seem to be synchronized. Pink Floyd denies it, says if there is anything, it is just a coincidence. I've never tried it so I don't know how "complete" this synchronization really is...curious if anyone else has ever seen it?

L
A local cable channel showed The Wizard of Oz once with the "Dark Side of the Moon" accompaniment, and I remember how struck I was by the tornado sequence being even eerier. I didn't watch the film all the way through, so couldn't comment on the whole experience.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:24:05 pm by moremojo »

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:04:47 am »
I listened to Dark Side of the Moon many, many, many, many times.   I haven't smoked dope since May 1987, but I sure want to right now, thinking about this.  The good thing about Dark Side of the Moon though, is it gets you stoned without drugs.

This goes well with the current rainbow thread:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=2433.0

I was 14 when "Money" started getting played on the radio (WNEW-FM in NY, any others who got their musical education there at THE best rock station ever?) and hearing "do goody good BULLSHIT!"  Oh I loved the freedom in that going out over the airwaves.

"Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" from "Time" goes with the Thoreau poll:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=1951.0

Leslie, and others, someday, let's lie on the floor in the dark together and listen to it louder than I have listened to anything in 20 years.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 08:26:42 am »

I was 14 when "Money" started getting played on the radio (WNEW-FM in NY, any others who got their musical education there at THE best rock station ever?) and hearing "do goody good BULLSHIT!"  Oh I loved the freedom in that going out over the airwaves.

Leslie, and others, someday, let's lie on the floor in the dark together and listen to it louder than I have listened to anything in 20 years.

For me, it was WPLJ (also NYC)...stood for "White Port and Lemon Juice" which I believe was a Mothers of Invention song....we talked about the Mothers back in the day when I started the horny thread. LOL WPLJ was a great station...first time I ever listened to a station that was not based at a college that played entire sides of albums. For DSOTM they'd play the entire thing--all 45 minutes. They also played Tommy from beginning to end on a regular basis.

As for the dark...next time I'm in Seattle. I'll bring the CD.

Leslie

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 04:41:13 pm »
Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favorite albums, and I'm only 22... I love it though.  Funny, I'm wearing a pink floyd t-shirt today... ;D
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 02:54:36 pm »
I discovered Pink Floyd rather late. I remember in junior high, my friends were all raving about "The Wall" and "Another Brick in the Wall". At the time, my allowance didn't go far enough to include buying tapes and records. It wasn't until my years at UCLA that I bought my first PF cd. I bought a compilation, and loved the songs. I later went out and got "Dark Side of the Moon" and it's one of my favorites to today.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:30:07 pm by starboardlight »
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 02:56:23 pm »
Leslie, it's a date for DSOTM in the dark.  Did you grow up in NY?  Where?

For me, it was WPLJ (also NYC)...

Oh my god, I haven't thought about WPLJ in many years.  Me too, I loved that station.  Deep into the night.  I'm racking my brain for DJ names.  I'm gonna go a-Googlin', see if I can find them.  That station was hugely important to me too.

Here we go - that Wikipedia, what doesn''t it have?  - Here's the part about WPLJ from "my" era:

"Later in 1971, the station changed its call sign to WPLJ (from the phrase "white port & lemon juice") and switched to a more conventional AOR (album oriented rock) format. Early on, the station would play the music of artists such as Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Aerosmith, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Elton John, Deep Purple, Rod Stewart, and The Allman Brothers. The station would also play pop songs from artists such as James Taylor, Stevie Wonder and Carly Simon. The station was different from Top 40 stations (such as co-owned WABC) in that they played more album tracks.
Larry Berger took over as Program Director of WPLJ in 1974, and the station adopted the slogan "New York's Best Rock". Some of the personalities on the station during this period included Jim Kerr, Pat St. John, Carol Miller, Tony Pigg, John Zacherle, Dave Charity, and Jimmy Fink.  [I remember all of these like old friends, except Dave Charity.]"

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:09:15 pm by Ellemeno »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 04:35:47 pm »
Leslie, it's a date for DSOTM in the dark.  Did you grow up in NY?  Where?

I thought we had discussed this, darlin'. I lived in Queens (Jackson Heights) til I was six, then moved to Bayport (LI) where I lived until I graduated from high school.

Oh my god, I haven't thought about WPLJ in many years.  Me too, I loved that station.  Deep into the night.  I'm racking my brain for DJ names.  I'm gonna go a-Googlin', see if I can find them.  That station was hugely important to me too.

Here we go - that Wikipedia, what doesn''t it have?  - Here's the part about WPLJ from "my" era:

"Later in 1971, the station changed its call sign to WPLJ (from the phrase "white port & lemon juice") and switched to a more conventional AOR (album oriented rock) format.

Which would have been the time I started listening (1971). Junior high I listened to "77, WABC" with Cousin Brucie and Dan Ingram (Remember, "Dan Ingram's electric radio theater"?). Then I bopped around for awhile, trying to find a decent station (I used to be able to pull in something from Connecticut that was okay). WBAB (from Babylon) was about all that existed until WPLJ came along...and then I was hooked.

I graduated from HS in 1973 and headed to Troy NY to go to college and the radio stations there SUCKED, except for WRPI (college station). WTRY....omigod. It was the first time I ever heard a station that had a robot playing the music, not a real DJ.

Leslie

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 06:54:44 pm »
I thought we had discussed this, darlin'.

I'm sorry, Leslie.  I do my very best to keep my 50+ cyberfriends' stories straight and untangled, but sometimes I blow it.  You think that's sad, I spent two days with Barb and didn't register until after I got home that she was the person who has written about certain parts of her story I feel very connected to, and there she was right across from me in real life.

And it helps me really understand how somebody PMed me earlier today to tell me something that I had told them about a week ago. 

[Ellemeno files this into her brain, and shoves so it will stick: "Leslie, in childhood=Jackson Heights, then LI"]

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 06:46:27 am »
I'm sorry, Leslie.  I do my very best to keep my 50+ cyberfriends' stories straight and untangled, but sometimes I blow it.  You think that's sad, I spent two days with Barb and didn't register until after I got home that she was the person who has written about certain parts of her story I feel very connected to, and there she was right across from me in real life.

And it helps me really understand how somebody PMed me earlier today to tell me something that I had told them about a week ago. 

[Ellemeno files this into her brain, and shoves so it will stick: "Leslie, in childhood=Jackson Heights, then LI"]

No need to apologize, sweetie, but I am still wondering if you remember Cousin Brucie? LOL

L

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 10:24:07 am »

Ah.  This explains why you were so enthralled by my freakish sponge memory (my one true gift).  If anyone ever needs to know the name of some obscure director or how exactly some line in some little-known movie goes, look no further.  I was a fantastic test taker in college, too, but don't ask me to explain how anything I "learned" about works.

<--- Been in Mouth of the Rat for 13 loooooong years.  Gah!  Just realized that's the longest she's lived in any one place.

<--- Likes to talk about herself in the third person
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 11:10:21 am »
Ah.  This explains why you were so enthralled by my freakish sponge memory (my one true gift).  If anyone ever needs to know the name of some obscure director or how exactly some line in some little-known movie goes, look no further.  I was a fantastic test taker in college, too, but don't ask me to explain how anything I "learned" about works.

<--- Been in Mouth of the Rat for 13 loooooong years.  Gah!  Just realized that's the longest she's lived in any one place.

<--- Likes to talk about herself in the third person

Ha ha, I will always remember you, Barb, and keep you straight in my universe of cyberfriends, because you and I have the same high school boyfriend story!!

L

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 12:05:01 pm »
I am still wondering if you remember Cousin Brucie?

I sure do.  And Harry Harrison.  Big voices.  And have you noticed that when Ennis and Jack sit down at the bar, the radio in the background is Harry Harrison's voice talking?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 12:09:27 pm »
Ah.  This explains why you were so enthralled by my freakish sponge memory (my one true gift). 

Barb, I got home and was rereading some long ago threads, and there you were talking about the lake bonfires and your father's highballs.  And I went, "Oh right!  THAT's part of Barb's story too."  I confidently remembered other parts of your more current life, but forgot that part. 

I love us and our whole lives, even the sucky parts, because they burnish and transmute as we tell them here.

<-------Also likes to talk in third person at times.

B) And in bullet points.

Ellemeno's 1000th BetterMost post! 
 I love you guys and gaias and our home here!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 04:26:49 pm by Elle-Effen'-Meno »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 12:50:03 pm »
I sure do.  And Harry Harrison.  Big voices.  And have you noticed that when Ennis and Jack sit down at the bar, the radio in the background is Harry Harrison's voice talking?

Now that I haven't noticed. Wow.

Okay, trivia time...what time was each of their shows?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 12:50:51 pm »
Barb, I got home and was rereading some long ago threads, and there you were talking about the lake bonfires and your father's highballs.  And I went, "Oh right!  THAT's part of Barb's story too."  I confidently remembered other parts of your more current life, but forgot that part. 

I love us and our whole lives, even the sucky parts, because they burnish and transmute as we tell them here.

<-------Also likes to talk in third person at times.

B) And in bullet points.

And with that pithy bit of commentary, Elle has joined the 1000+ posts club. Welcome!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 12:58:01 pm »
And with that pithy bit of commentary, Elle has joined the 1000+ posts club. Welcome!

I'm almost there, myself.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 01:15:18 pm »
I'm almost there, myself.   ;D

And this is about the point you start posting random, meaningless messages on various threads throughout bettermost...