Author Topic: Better Most Beans Brand (Star Telegram)  (Read 12814 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Better Most Beans Brand (Star Telegram)
« on: March 25, 2006, 08:14:28 pm »
Beans onscreen in 'Brokeback'

Not, perhaps, since Blazing Saddles have beans around a campfire figured so prominently in a Western.

Director Ang Lee's heartbreaking Brokeback Mountain, which took four Golden Globes on Monday, could hardly be more different from the raucous 1974 Mel Brooks comedy. But beans are a distinct presence in the film's early scenes at the star-crossed cowboys' camp.

In one shot, the camera lingers on a can of them, balanced on a log, with an old-fashioned label reading "Better Most."

Don't look for the Better Most brand in stores, though. Brokeback production designer Judy Becker says it was a fictional brand.

Why such emphasis on the beans in the movie?

"Ang tends to include a lot of food references in his movies," Becker said, adding: "Food really illustrates the day-to-day lives of people."

-- Star Telegram
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Better Most Beans Brand (Star Telegram)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 05:29:41 pm »
I looked up beans in the International Dictionary of Symbols and it said that, in the Far East, beans are a symbol of male virility. Jack and the beanstalk, indeed!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 02:13:13 pm »
I looked up beans in the International Dictionary of Symbols and it said that, in the Far East, beans are a symbol of male virility. Jack and the beanstalk, indeed!

Good one, Frontie!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:28:16 pm »
Bumpin for da beanz!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:50:54 pm »
Our leader and founder quotes the Minneapolis Star Telegram on the subject of beans! I never saw that quote at the end from Judy Becker before!

Beans onscreen in 'Brokeback'

Not, perhaps, since Blazing Saddles have beans around a campfire figured so prominently in a Western.

Director Ang Lee's heartbreaking Brokeback Mountain, which took four Golden Globes on Monday, could hardly be more different from the raucous 1974 Mel Brooks comedy. But beans are a distinct presence in the film's early scenes at the star-crossed cowboys' camp.

In one shot, the camera lingers on a can of them, balanced on a log, with an old-fashioned label reading "Better Most."

Don't look for the Better Most brand in stores, though. Brokeback production designer Judy Becker says it was a fictional brand.

Why such emphasis on the beans in the movie?

"Ang tends to include a lot of food references in his movies," Becker said, adding: "Food really illustrates the day-to-day lives of people."

-- Star Telegram

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:01:35 am »
I never saw that before!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!