Author Topic: Famous People.  (Read 17542 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Famous People.
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 05:43:35 pm »
The only famous person I was ever near was our own KirkMusic.    ;D

I sat in the front row during one of his shows.  So I must have been only a few feet from him.     And to think I had to fly back home over 3000 miles to see his abs!
  HA HA HA!    :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 06:14:06 pm »
Wheee!
Nope, the Hugh-chase was real.

I almost forgot: Pope John Paul II.  He was pretty famous.  He blessed me.  And, like thousands of others.  But I was about three feet from him.

I saw Pope John Paul II in Chicago back in 1979...sorta...funny story associated with that one.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 06:28:16 pm »
I saw Pope John Paul II in Chicago back in 1979...sorta...funny story associated with that one.
Do tell!

I almost saw him once in New York City. He was scheduled for a visit in a church(?) not far from where I stayed, but he cancelled hours before, due to illness (so we were told). This was 1994, if I remember well.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 07:02:33 pm »
About Hugh, I was thinking hmm, he's taller than I thought, and he looks tired.  Poor Hughy-poo.

Hey, what about the Bishop of the Delaware-Maryland synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Gerard Knoche?  Is he famous?  I've spoken to him on several occasions.  What about the King's Singers?  Dave Brubeck?  Peter Schikele?  I've done concerts with them.

moremojo

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 07:14:16 pm »
  Peter Schikele?  I've done concerts with them.
Peter Schikele? The Peter Schikele of 'P.D.Q. Bach' fame? He's definitely famous in my book! My sister adored him, and collected the requisite books and LP's. Feel free to share more detail on your acquaintance--it could make riveting travel conversation!

:)
Scott

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 10:31:46 pm »
Sarah, I'll bet you never spoke with Elton.

I love that Daniel Powter song, the had a bad day one.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 10:33:38 pm »
Oops it's Schickele.
Well, he's not an acquaintance, just someone I've shared the stage with.  Baltimore Choral Arts Society did "Oedipus Tex" a while back and he played Tex himself.  Quite an amusing production.  Togas!  I was just a chorister.

That's right, Elton was a fabrication, Sparkle.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 12:35:42 am »
Well, ego trip time.
I met Ian McKellen and interviewed him for an hour on our gay programme. What a lovely man! Then we went to a gay party when shooting of LotR finished, and Peter J came too. (No, he isn't.) There's a picture of me in a spa pool, with Ian McKellen. Sadly, the comma is meaningful: he wasn't in it. Just before the world premiere of RotK, a week after I met my Tim (our first date), we went to a gay reception for him at Premier House (~The White House) organised by one of our gay MPs.

I met Armistead Maupin in 1988 when I was in SF - just rang him up and said "I'm a fan of yours from New Zealand, I'd like to meet you" and he invited me up. I stayed for more than an hour. So when he came to NZ I gave him the same present Mrs Madrigal gives newcomers, and we got this pic taken at a book launch of "Significant Others" (which I've just noticed is dedicated to Ian McK) on March 15, 1990 (he autographed my copy "with warm regards").

But my favourite "touched by greatness" story is going to hear Alessandra Marc sing the Liebstod from Tristan and the Immolation Scene from Götterdämmerung. We were in the second row and when it finished, I called out "Bravi!" and she frowned a little, so I called out "Brava!" and she turned (no small thing, she's a big lady) and gave me a special bow all to myself.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 01:24:19 am by Shuggy »

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 05:18:23 am »
What do you know?  David Hyde Pierce came to see our show last night.  Came backstage to say hello afterwords.  He loved it.  He and his 3 friends were the only ones who stood at the end.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 11:20:43 am »
At a job I had a several years ago, my boss would start off the weekly staff meetings with Celebrity Watch.  If you saw someone famous you had to report your siting.  Since it's New York you do see people on and off and don't always think about it, especially if you don't talk to them.

When I was younger, if I saw a celebrity and went up to them, I tended to scare them off with my enthusiasm.  I did this once to Jennifer Beals, post-Flashdance, way pre-L Word, in Washington Square Park (she practically ran) and Boy George in the Limelight club (he was with an entourage).  But my favorite celeb encounter was someone I didn't wind up meeting. 

Out of the blue I called writer David Rakoff (he's listed) to tell him what a big fan I am, what's he working on, etc.  Almost met for coffee but it never happened.  But he was pretty nice the whole time. I actually left him a message and he called back using caller ID!

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....