Author Topic: Famous People.  (Read 17679 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Famous People.
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 03:08:41 pm »
At a job I had a several years ago, my boss would start off the weekly staff meetings with Celebrity Watch.  If you saw someone famous you had to report your siting.  Since it's New York you do see people on and off and don't always think about it, especially if you don't talk to them.

That's true. When I lived in NY I saw celebrities from time to time but didn't really think about it or cared. I ran into Harvey Keitel with his son in SOHO a couple of times, and even had Robert Downey jr. getting mad at me for blocking his way to the candy bars at a store. I was having a hard time choosing what I wanted and didn't realize he was behind me. I have a hearing disability and didn't hear him say "excuse me". He was very rude, but I forgave him because it was during those days when he was having trouble with his drug addiction and the law.

I also saw Keanu Reeves getting off a cab on 5th avenue, across from where I was. My cousin, who was with me at the moment, crossed the street like a mad woman to get his autograph, but failed because he disappeared quickly into a building.

Then, some other time I was at the elevator of the building I used to work in with a co worker and a third person I didn't recognize. When he got off my co worker, who had gotten excited all of a sudden, told me it was Tony Danza. I couldn't believe I didn't recognized him after being a fan of Who's the Boss for so long. Now I hate the show, but I used to like it.

I guess that New York has some turn off effect on me regarding celebrity sightings, because now that I'm in Madrid, I get happy when I see someone famous, though I never bother them. But in NYC, I didn't give a damn, honestly.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 03:41:26 pm »
I just saw Pedro Almodovar! Didn't speak to him but seems nice. He's short!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 06:59:02 pm »
Living in LA, i've actually encountered quite a few famous people, even discounting those Q&A's, book/cd signings or promotional appearances. My one story begins with "John Lithgow bought me a latte." Through college, I worked at Jimmy's, one of the on campus coffee houses at UCLA. We often get actors coming in since the Theater/Film department is nearby, and Hollywood actors/director often give seminars or guest lectures. There were also young actors who attend UCLA. I remember locking eyes with Chad Allen once while walking across campus. Any how, John Lithgow came in and order two lattes. I made them, rang him up. He picked the drinks to leave, then turn back, and gave one to me. He explained that he was meeting his wife and had bought the coffee for himself and for her. As he was about to go look for her, he sudden see that she had already arrived before he did and had already gotten herself a drink. So no, he didn't actually intend to buy me a latte, but technically, he bought one and gave it to me.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

moremojo

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2006, 07:06:50 pm »
I just saw Pedro Almodovar! Didn't speak to him but seems nice. He's short!
I was struck by how short Antonio Banderas was when I saw him in a Barnes & Noble some years back.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 06:10:46 pm by moremojo »

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2006, 07:10:14 pm »
wow! shuggy. As an LotR fan, I'm totally jealous. Both Jackson and Ian. Did you get to meet any of the other cast members? Were they shooting at the time? Actually I did meet Ian back in the mid 90's. It was pride weekend in West Hollywood. My friends and I managed to get ourselves into the Abbey and he was sitting there by himself, apparently waiting for his friends to get drinks.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 07:17:21 pm »
About Hugh, I was thinking hmm, he's taller than I thought, and he looks tired.  Poor Hughy-poo.

Hey, what about the Bishop of the Delaware-Maryland synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Gerard Knoche?  Is he famous?  I've spoken to him on several occasions.  What about the King's Singers?  Dave Brubeck?  Peter Schikele?  I've done concerts with them.

Dave Brubeck, definitely. Don't suppose you got a taping of that performance, do you?

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 07:18:04 pm »
and this guy from the UK. 

You guys could have made him a tampon hat.  Maybe I'll sit where he sat.  Next week!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 07:20:09 pm »

Very tasteful t-shirt, Hugh.  I'm pleased that I know who both those people with you are.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:25 pm »
You guys have cool stories. I myself am surrounded by an anti-celebrity force field........by the end just about everyone in town was practically on their Christmas card list. Never saw em.

Here in Seattle, we are surrounded by water, and by actual orca pods that live here.  Everyone else has seen at least one wild orca.  Not me.  And I want to so bad.  I had a guest from out of town.  She took one 20 minute ferry ride and came home raving about the orcas she saw.  Why not me?  Why can't I see them?

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 07:27:32 pm »
Here in Seattle, we are surrounded by water, and by actual orca pods that live here.  Everyone else has seen at least one wild orca.  Not me.  And I want to so bad.  I had a guest from out of town.  She took one 20 minute ferry ride and came home raving about the orcas she saw.  Why not me?  Why can't I see them?
ah yes, a whale sighting is so much more impressive than celeb sighting. in my rowing days, I saw a whale once. My partner and I were in a pair shell and we ventured out of the marina pass the break wall, and looking down the coast, we suddenly saw a whale come up for air and then down again. it was pretty amazing.