Author Topic: Famous People.  (Read 17678 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Famous People.
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 07:49:17 pm »
I grew up in Manhattan, where it's hard to avoid famous faces.  Here goes:

In the 60s:
John Lennon, Yoko Ono, Sean Lennon (as a kid) - saw them walking down the street.
Jerry Stiller, Anne Meara, Ben Stiller (as a kid) - they stood in back of me in line at a museum once. 
David Bowie, Iman - I followed them walking slowly down Madison for a few blocks (my last stalker-type experience - it didn't feel right).   
Charlie Chaplin - I was introduced to him at a friend's house as a child.  That friend is now quite famous and both her parents are extremely famous (though not Charlie Chaplin-famous), and I don't think I should say their names.
John F. Kennedy - he used to stay at the Hotel Carlyle across the street from my nursery (as we called them in those days) school.  He kneeled down on one knee and put me on his knee and talked to me for a minute..  As an adult I read about his Addison's Disease, and wonder how he could have done that.
Kurt Waldheim (pre-knowledge that he was a Nazi) - his daughter went to my school.  Several famous people's kids went to that school. 

In the 70s:
Stevie Wonder - lived across the street from my school for 8th and 9th grade.  I saw him quite often.  He didn't see me.  He was always surrounded by at least 8 people with him.

Um, who else?  We're only talking about people we happened upon, not people we went to go see in concert or on stage, right?  I'm blanking for now.  I'll come back when I remember more.  JFK, John Lennon, and Charlie Chaplin - they are my personal big ones.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 08:28:11 pm »
In the 70s:
Stevie Wonder - lived across the street from my school for 8th and 9th grade.  I saw him quite often.  He didn't see me.  He was always surrounded by at least 8 people with him.

I wouldn't feel bad.  I don't think little Stevie saw ANYone.  :P

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 08:33:10 pm »
I wouldn't feel bad.  I don't think little Stevie saw ANYone.  :P

(That was my joke, dela)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2006, 08:35:36 pm »
(That was my joke, dela)

oops, sorry!  ;D

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 08:45:25 pm »
Well, you know what they say, truth is an iron bride.  :)

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2006, 04:18:57 pm »
Hey Starby and Hutch,
I don't have any recordings of Dave Brubeck with the Baltimore Choral Arts Society, but he's done a number of concerts with them and I'm sure they're all on tape somewhere....

I thought of a few more famous people, at least in the world of classical music, whom I've worked with --

I had coachings or rep classes or master classes with Julius Drake (pianist, brilliant accompanist), Ian Partridge (tenor), John Shirley-Quirk (bass -- he premiered a lot of roles in Benjamin Britten's operas), Paul Esswood (countertenor), Leon Fleisher (pianist).  I consider all of them famous.  My tummy went a-flutter with Julius Drake... but that was more because he's a hottie, in a rumpled sort of way.

Clarissa, your list is so interesting.  May I steal from it when I write my memoir?

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2006, 04:57:09 pm »
I suppose the BAFTAs don't actually count cause I didn't actually meet them, I just looked at them and shouted a bit. All of you who have seen my pictures will know I saw alot of Backs and even a few backs of heads! ;D

Anyway here are all the people I can think of now:

Pierce Brosnan, Jude Law, Rupert Grint, Neve Cambelle, Christina Richie,(although she was quite a bitch and was serinded by the crowd with "The Adams Family" theme tune when she wouldn't turn round), John Hurt(Who was really nice and even commented on my BBM banner), PSH, Patrick stuart(his head is so shiny), Ziyi Zhang, Charlize Theron(but from far away), Clooney's head( I only knew it was him cause of the grey hair), Jake and Heath's heads and the one I am most proud of: Richard Bacon! Hahaha :laugh: Most of you wont know who he is but Kelda might, anyway I was joking.

I will probably think of a few more in a minute, but I will update it if I do.
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2006, 01:27:59 pm »
I had the BEST celeb sighting last night!  I was out with a friend at a bar in Chelsea and got into a cab to head home.  I get in and there's this really nice looking phone on the seat, so I figured, the person's gonna call, I'll figure out how to give it back at some point.  We had to make a stop so we barely took the cab like, around the corner, and the phone starts ringing over and over.  The ring tone was Big Poppa by Notorious BIG, so I thought, whoever owns this is cool!

Well with the stop finished, the phone rings again so I finally answer it.  The person says, oh are you in a cab?  I said, no but I found your phone in one, luckily for you we didn't go far, where are you?  He says, 9th and 23rd, and I said, oh! We're on 24th and 7th, we can meet you at 8th and 23rd.  He says oh thanks man, I'm wearing a red baseball cap.

So we walk over to the Gap on 8th Avenue, my friend and I wait for a minute or two.  This sexy guy in shorts, red cap, sweat jacket and flip flops is approaching the corner, so I wave, and he waves.  He crosses the street and approaches us, and now, he sounded kinda sexy on the phone, deep voice, kinda homeboyish.  He gets closer, he's smiling to get his phone back and I go, Oh my @!#$%% God, it's you!  My friend had no idea who is was....it was Bobby Cannavale!!  I was tipsy and I was like, this guy's a great actor!  He's all, oh thanks, and thanks so much for the phone.  He asks, is it condescending to offer you a reward?  I was like, oh man the reward was that it was you!  (OK so I was quite tipsy!)

He's not a household name, but he's been on lots of TV shows (the bodyguard who comes on to Keith on Six Feet Under, a boyfriend of Will's, etc.)  His bio is here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134072/ and here's a pic of him: .  I was so star struck, even though it was already late as anything, I was sooo excited for the rest of the night!

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2006, 03:20:12 pm »
He's the actor who plays the guy with the bad-tasting "funky spunk" on Sex and the City that Samantha goes down on.  Some might remember him that way.  He IS very cute. 

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2006, 04:10:01 am »
He's the actor who plays the guy with the bad-tasting "funky spunk" on Sex and the City that Samantha goes down on.  Some might remember him that way.  He IS very cute. 

VERY cute Juan.. *growls*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/