Author Topic: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack  (Read 84545 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 02:57:37 pm »
Cool, isn't it?

To be honest, I never recognised it in the movie. No chance. I'm always in tears at those Lightning Flat scenes. Ennis at the kitchen table... o god, I nearly start crying just thinking about it  :'(
I also never saw any cherry-cake, let alone the one cherry in it.

But yes, it's cool. Another of those little details which can be there by chance or for a symbolic reason. I don't know which way round this one is. I don't know whether this is an intentional yin-yang reference, but I'm quite sure that the framing of the building in the background by the window bars is intentional. It's too good to be by chance.

Anyway, you're beady-eyed, Meryl  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 06:04:49 pm »
Wow! That's a fantastic detail.  I love that scene (yes of course for the emotional aspect of it, but also for the way it seems to be so carefully crafted).  Someone, somewhere (maybe Katherine, I don't quite remeber) once noticed how Jack's room contains all sorts of reminders of the Brokeback summer.  The sloped white wall of the room is like the sloped canvas of the tent, the little cowboy toy is like the toy Ennis was carving in the tent (but obviously also like Ennis and Jack themselves), the little gun on the wall, the rock collection, etc. all serve as nostagic reminders for Ennis. 

Inserting the detail of the yin and yang through the open window seems really important in subtly hinting at all these super subtle details that add up to a room that now serves as a memorial.  It's interesting that the yin and yang barn door becomes evident when Ennis opens the window... to let Jack's symbol (air) into the room. 

:'(

The whole Lightning Flat sequence just shines as one of the best parts of the film I think.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 10:12:04 pm »
Anyway, you're beady-eyed, Meryl
Thanks, Pen, and thanks for the screen cap.  ;D

Yes, that Lightning Flat scene is just rife with symbols everywhere you look.  I love it, and I love picking it apart and putting it back together again.  That's a great way to look at Jack's room, Amanda,  like Brokeback in microcosm.

I started thinking that if Ang Lee bothered to put that yin/yang symbol in the Lightning Flat scene, maybe there were other instances of it.  How about this (also from stripedwall.com) for yin/yanginess:

Maybe this, too:

I love Ang Lee!  :-*
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:19:37 am by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 10:47:05 pm »
These are all fantastic examples, Meryl!  :D  I think the poster for the movie with the intersecting black and white hats is meant to suggest the yin and yang idea too. It's such a deliberate and sort of unusual composition, there must be a meaning to it.
The reflection of the mountains in the water also suggests the concept of yin and yang to me (even if the image itself isn't the conventional image of yin and yang).

I love this poster, by the way.  One of my favorite things about the movie being in the theatres was seeing this image hung all over the place even in really mainstream theatres.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:14:36 pm by atz75 »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 11:28:41 pm »
You're right, Amanda!  That poster is very yin/yangy.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 12:51:29 am »
It could be since Ang Lee is Chinese or Taiwanese! Not that there is any difference.

uh oh! don't let a Taiwanese hear you say that.  ;D They'll give you an earful of differences.

According to wikipedia, "yin" is black and represent a passive, dark, femenine dowright seeking personality. The "yang" (white), is active, light, masculine, upward-seeking and corresponds to the day. Yin is often symbolized by water, while yang is symbolized by fire. So I guess, Jack, who wears the black hat is yin, and Ennis is yang. However, Jack isn't exactly passive in the relationship, but quite the contrary. He isn't downright either but quite upright; always dreaming; Ennis is the exact opposite.

Interesting, downright/upright. There was a thread sometimes back talking aobut how Jack is often in the reclining versus Ennis' upright. For example, the "Tent don't look right" scene, Jack is reclined playing his harmonica, while Ennis is upright. Or Jack is reclined while trying to open the can of beans, while Ennis sits upright tending to hygiene. Even in the opening scene, Jack's tendency to drape himself on the truck, instead of standing on his feet.

but like Amanda and others have said, the men don't stay in passive/aggressive mode all the time. They have a push/pull dynamic, so they both are yin and both are yang at different times. But yes, I definitely thing that the choice of black and white hats are deliberate. Not only on Ennis and Jack, but on other men in the scenes. You think of all the colors of cowboy hats the costume designer could have chosen for the cast and extras, you'd think that there'd be more variety. The use of black and white is overwhelmingly noticeable.

"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 10:21:58 pm »
Just tonight while watching the movie I noticed another visual detail that suggests the yin and yang symbol... much along the lines of the images that Meryl has posted here.

It's right after Ennis drives past the Elks building and pulls into his driveway behind the laundromat, right before he heads upstairs to be told of the arrival of the first postcard.  When Ennis parks his black truck in that driveway it's positioned along the light-colored exterior wall with a dark window in it.  The black truck in profile with it's window showing the light siding through it, intersects with the wall with the light siding and dark window...  So the two windows appear like the dots in a traditional yin and yang symbol and the truck and the sided wall are like the black and white opposite halves of the symbol.  I hope I'm being somewhat clear in this description.  I don't know where to get those great screen-saves/ still-shots that people post here sometimes.  But, it would be awesome if someone could post that shot.  Again, it's right before Ennis heads upstairs to discover the arrival of the first postcard.

:D

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 12:07:25 am »
I think we have a winner!  ;D

I checked the DVD, and it does look very yin/yangy.  Who knows, that sneaky Ang Lee might have intended that shot to be foreshadowing of the reunion.  Good catch, Amanda!  8)

I checked stripedwall.com, but they don't have a cap of that shot, so hopefully someone with screencapping ability will post one here.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 01:35:01 am »

Thank you, Penth, for saying this!!! Me neither! And, blurry with tears as my eyes may have been, I have looked for it.

Someone, somewhere (maybe Katherine, I don't quite remeber) once noticed how Jack's room contains all sorts of reminders of the Brokeback summer.

I would so love to take credit for this one, because I was blown away by it the first time I read it (I can't remember who said it, either). This problem comes up so often. Maybe we should start a thread where people can post their brilliant concepts, so when others refer to them later they can credit the right person. ;D

Interesting, downright/upright. There was a thread sometimes back talking aobut how Jack is often in the reclining versus Ennis' upright. For example, the "Tent don't look right" scene, Jack is reclined playing his harmonica, while Ennis is upright. Or Jack is reclined while trying to open the can of beans, while Ennis sits upright tending to hygiene.

One notable exception is the "prayer of thanks" scene. And it's the classic exception that proves the rule: it's one of the few times Ennis utters a (fairly) unambiguous spoken endearment, one of the few times Ennis seems to be fully submitting himself to their relationship. But sure enough, as soon as Jack proposes the cow-and-calf operation, Ennis sits upright and puts on his hat.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 03:02:27 am »
Quote from: Penthesilea on May 28, 2006, 01:57:37 pm

Thank you, Penth, for saying this!!! Me neither! And, blurry with tears as my eyes may have been, I have looked for it.

Now I got curious and really wanted to see the famous cake. Therefore I looked for screencaps. And here it is. Click to enlarge