Author Topic: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack  (Read 84568 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2007, 02:17:39 pm »
I was reading a book with an introduction by Ang Lee last nite, and I found further proof that many of these symbolism ideas, at least those in connection with the Tao and yin-yang, are premeditated. Ang Lee wrote:

"What is the Tao, the 'way?' Of course if you can say it, it's not the real Tao, It's enigmatic, in that it can only manifest itself through contradictions, through the conflicts of the heart rather than through the harmony it seeks."

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2007, 02:39:51 pm »
So what's up with all the man-made stand-ins for the natural forms at this late stage?  You know me... I'm all for going a little crazy with the symbol discussions.

I love how you like to crazy with the symbol discussions, Amanda!  :D  We all appreciate it!!!

Those are terrific observations about the trailer, Meryl - good work!!!

I had never noticed the coiled garden hose and wood and its symmetry with the bar scene.  Very nice observations, indeed.  It's a bit ironic to me that Ennis has a garden hose, which is used to provide water, to nourish, to grow, now that Jack is lost to him forever.  It is no longer possible for Ennis to nourish and grow his relationship with Jack.  He shows us he's ready to take some risks to nourish a relationship, I think, by his willingness to miss the roundup for Junior's wedding.

The man-made impostors for the natural symbols seem to me a perfect reflection of how the story unfolds.  The societal norms that imprison Ennis are expectations devised by man.  By never fully accepting his true nature, his innate sexuality, by never striving for that sweet life with Jack, Ennis is left with poor imitations of the real thing.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2007, 04:06:46 pm »
Very excellent post Lynne!  I think your interpretation of the significance of man-made stand-ins for natural forces is very good.  And, I'm glad you appreciate my interest in the symbols.   
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2007, 12:03:01 am »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2007, 06:47:24 pm »
Here's another picture of Jack and Ennis riding on their yin-yang horses!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2007, 08:41:47 pm »
They ARE yin/yang! At first I thought, well, Jack's horse doesn't have a dark spot to match the star on Ennis' horse's head. But then I noticed ... Jack's moustache!!!  8)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2007, 09:03:53 pm »
I suppose that could be considered, but I always thot it was the shock of dark hair in the horse's mane that shows between his ears.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2007, 12:43:42 am »
That's an awesome picture.  I think that either the moustache or the hair between the white horse's ears works as the second half of the symbol.  Maybe the horse's hair is a closer correspondence if we're really focusing on the colors of the horses here (rather than the men). 

This is interesting that Jack's on the white horse. 

Why, why, why is he wearing a light colored hat?  I never understand Jack when he's wearing a light colored hat...  I know we've discussed this a lot, but it's still a very unsettled question to me.  Yin and yang colors are very difficult to sort out here when it comes to the guys (leaving the horses aside).  It's interesting here that Jack is wearing really dark pants and Ennis is wearing very light jeans.  It's also interesting that Jack's coat is open and Ennis is buttoned up.  But, it looks like Jack might be wearing one extra layer of shirts than Ennis.  I do still find it very convincing that the state of their clothing (numbers of layers, etc.) is an interesting barometer for their moods and emotional states.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2007, 07:38:38 am »
Their clothing choices ARE different later in life. In the one little scene that flashes by where they are asleep in the tent, Ennis with his arm thrown over Jack, Ennis is wearing a shirt that is as close to a solid color as he ever gets. It looks solid but when you look closer there is a pattern in it.

In a book about Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a passage about the clothing and the colors and patterns were changed over the course of the movie to reveal the characters' changing moods.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2007, 01:35:57 pm »
'Nother yin-yang siting in the movie!! Watch carefully behind Jack as he and Ennis are parting after coming down from the mountain. You'll see two pieces of paper--one black, the other white--blowing across the background. I may be reading too much into it, but to me these resemble the slips of paper that Asians write prayers on, then they burn them or affix them to tree branches or statues.

The really wonderful thing is that we see these bits of trash AGAIN. Again, they are behind Jack as he bounds forward in his red jacket to embrace Ennis after four long years apart!! It made my heart leap to see them again!!