Author Topic: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack  (Read 84570 times)

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Yin and Yang: Ennis and Jack
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2006, 05:50:42 pm »
Aw shucks.  Be careful what you encourage here - I could talk about this more than you'll ever want to read...

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2006, 06:16:26 pm »
Y'know...it's like the end of the movie.  Ennis has nothing, is nothing, and all that's really left of him, for him, is his love for Jack.  Strip away everything else, and the underlying generative force is all that's left...

I quite like the way you put this!  I'll add my voice to the chorus of congrats here... that was a very helpful post!  :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2006, 11:21:34 pm »
Go for it Celeste, I can't get enough!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2006, 05:06:06 am »
Well - I'll tell you.  The thing about the Tao, and the thing about love, is that it's always inviting you away from thoughts and words into experience.  The Tao that can be named is not the Tao....

The more you talk about it, the less of "it" you're actually experiencing.  Jack and Ennis would have benefited from an actual spoken "I love you" not for the sake of sentiment, but to acknowledge the reality of their experience...to say it aloud and make it real.  That's perhaps why Ennis says "I swear" at the end - his way of acknowldeging what he could not admit otherwise.  He so completely resiisted the most powerful force at work in his life, and really at work in the world. 

That of love.  The Tao doesn't ever talk about love, which I think is right.  Our notions of love are too degraded and mixed with desire and need to be reflective of the real thing.  But fear of it keeps a man (anyone) from the natural flow of every type of energy through his life.

It is not possible to say no to love but yes to much else.  The dam that is created in that refusal is insurmountable.  That "no" reverberates in every aspect of life, well and truly crippling the soul who utters it.  You cannot say no to love without saying no to life, without saying no to Tao.  That's why Ennis's potential salvation lies in attending his daughter's wedding (in the movie) and in his dreams of Jack (in the story) - here at least is one place where's he's still able to say yes.

The reason individuals and society become so degraded when the step away from Tao is that they are running on their own limited energy, not on what's universally available.  And like any closed system, that energy starts to get polluted and stagnant.  Imagine a pool without a source of fresh clear water ever.  And Tao - love - the generative force...is the infusion of pure cool newness that transforms. 

Jack & Ennis's relationship deteriorates into so much pain because Ennis refuses to admit anything new into the relationship.  He refuses to let love move through the relationship, and he refuses to be new himself.  So the dam he's blocked everything with is fear.  And it's the biggest killer for most of us.  The Tao isn't about love or not love, accepting or refusing, embracing or rejecting.  It's about living in the Center of what is.  And at the center of the human soul is ther perfect vessel for love. 

And the spiritual practice is staying at that Center.  Not weighing or judging or wondering or analyzing.  Simply acknowledging and staying there.  And that's what Ennis does for just a second.  He runs to the Center and says yes.  And when we see that (second tent scene, reunion scene), it's glorious.  But then he runs away again and again and again.  And Jack gives up running after him eventually, too tired to be pulled so far away from the center, so far away from love.

And even when Ennis does run to the Center, it is not with his whole heart.  He does it piecemeal.  So he's not able to act with complete love which means honesty, clarity, integrity remain elusive for him.  For Ennis, love is a threat because he's made his Center one of material safety and not reality.  He has substituted a limited idea of "getting by" with the true Center of himself...of the universe.

And that's why we keep rooting for him - that's what we keep wanting - for him to step fully into the river of life and let it wash him clean and enliven all that's dead in him.  Because we've done, to one degree or another, the same thing he has.  His journey is ours...back to the Center.

"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2006, 02:42:46 pm »
I love everything you said, Celeste, especially this part:

And at the center of the human soul is the perfect vessel for love.

I'll have to reread this whenever I feel like I'm drifting away from my center.

Thank you very much.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2006, 09:01:46 am »
I was just rereading the Tao Te Ching this a.m. and the passage that describes the universe as being like a bellows, empty, yet quite full, caught my eye. I thought that describes the movie quite well! I'd love to point that out to people who think the movie is boring or slow or not a big deal. For whomever wants to read this, it's from the fifth sutra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2006, 07:32:47 pm »
Wow, that was a really interesting post Celeste! 

Do you really think Ennis wasn't giving his whole heart in the second tent scene and the reunion?  You're absolutely right that he runs or retreats from those bursts of really intense affection/ love and things get complicated by the time of the reunion.  But, I feel like at least in those two instances (that we're allowed to see.... we hope there are more that we're supposed to assume happen) he's giving himself to the relationship completely.  In both cases he seems like there'd be little he could do to resist giving himself to Jack/ the relationship...  I mean his urge to go to Jack in both of those cases seems to overwhelm everything else (his fears, his sense of caution, his nervousness...).

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2006, 01:50:05 pm »

Do you really think Ennis wasn't giving his whole heart in the second tent scene and the reunion? 

I think Ennis gave absolutely everything he could, and maybe most in the second tent scene, where he and Jack were alone and there was no obvious consequence to what he did.  But following the reunion kiss, his interaction with Jack is tempered with his certainty that they can never be together.

I'm not offering a definitive answer at all.  Just my own feelings about Ennis, 'cause I can see myself being much less than wholehearted as well in certain ways, so I associate my own experience with what looks like his fear and hesitation.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2006, 12:09:40 pm »
I was just reading an interview with Ang Lee and he mentions Taoism:

You're very chameleon-like in your choices. What would you say is your essence as a filmmaker?

Ang Lee: I would have to say repression. (Laughs) I always use, but I try not to. I try to be a partygoer. But at some point I don't know why I'm doing it and fall back. I've been using repression, the struggle between behaving as a social animal. You're seeking to be honest with your free will, less conflict. I think that's an important subject with me. That's who I am, how I was brought up. I think I use that a lot. I mistrust everything I think. Things you think you can trust, believe in, or hang on to, changes. That's the essence of life. That's kind of Taoist. At a certain age, many Chinese think that way. When things change, we must adapt to it. That's our faith and belief.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2006, 08:42:14 pm »
Wow Lee!  That's great.  I think he's certainly right about the "repression" aspect of his filmmaking.  BBM is soooo restrained it's painful, as we all know!  It's amazing that he's so self-aware.