Author Topic: Why the Lie?  (Read 52575 times)

tiawahcowboy

Re: Why the Lie?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 04:42:45 pm »
Since I am a country feller and have some education beyond high school, I have heard people use the expression "wrang it out" when they were trying to think really hard to figure out why something happened.

Also, a similar expression about serious thinking, a rural man would say, "I been sittin' here studyin' about that." Was he actually studying something that had been in print? No, he had been thinking really hard about a certain subject.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 10:47:50 pm »
Since I am a country feller and have some education beyond high school, I have heard people use the expression "wrang it out" when they were trying to think really hard to figure out why something happened.

Also, a similar expression about serious thinking, a rural man would say, "I been sittin' here studyin' about that." Was he actually studying something that had been in print? No, he had been thinking really hard about a certain subject.

Well, I think the context in which Ennis says this pretty much decides it.

From the short story:

Ennis:  I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinkin about you.

The context is Ennis talking about having sex with another man ('doin it' another euphemism).

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 10:57:58 pm »
Well, I think the context in which Ennis says this pretty much decides it.

From the short story:

Ennis:  I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinkin about you.

The context is Ennis talking about having sex with another man ('doin it' another euphemism).

You are correct on that part about the "doin in," that is. And the context of "wrang it out" has to do with Ennis's thinking about doin' it with Jack.

So, there's no need to assume that Ennis pulled "IT" out of his pants and played with "IT."

The expression "to wring (it) out" has to do with difficult thinking about something and no connection with self-manipulation at all.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 11:06:55 pm »
You are correct on that part about the "doin in," that is. And the context of "wrang it out" has to do with Ennis's thinking about doin' it with Jack.

A guy is thinking about having sex with someone.  Guys do it quite often.  They also do it almost 100% of the time while masturbating.  So there that is.

So, there's no need to assume that Ennis pulled "IT" out of his pants and played with "IT."

Well, there's every need since Ennis is talking about having sex with men, and since Jack isn't there, the next best thing for Ennis while thinking about doin' it with Jack is... [shrugs]  Pretty clear to me.

The expression "to wring (it) out" has to do with difficult thinking about something and no connection with self-manipulation at all.

Tia you keep talking like you're an authority and the last word on what that expression means.  There are other uses for that expression.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:14:26 pm by delalluvia »

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2006, 11:50:25 pm »
A guy is thinking about having sex with someone.  Guys do it quite often.  They also do it almost 100% of the time while masturbating.  So there that is.

Well, there's every need since Ennis is talking about having sex with men, and since Jack isn't there, the next best thing for Ennis while thinking about doin' it with Jack is... [shrugs]  Pretty clear to me.

Tia you keep talking like you're an authority and the last word on what that expression means.  There are other uses for that expression.

Tia is not short for "Tiawah," place in Rogers County, Oklahoma! Since I am a man and not a woman, I ought to know a little bit more about how guys think and what they do more than you do, ma'am!

One does not have to masturbate when one thinks about having had memorable sex with his friend, nor does he have to masturbate while trying to figure out why the only person he can imagine having sex with is that friend.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2006, 12:22:36 am »
Tia is not short for "Tiawah," place in Rogers County, Oklahoma!

Tia is the way I shorten it.  ;D

Since I am a man and not a woman, I ought to know a little bit more about how guys think and what they do more than you do, ma'am!

Well, sure, but that doesn't make you an authority on how ALL men think, now does it?

One does not have to masturbate when one thinks about having had memorable sex with his friend, nor does he have to masturbate while trying to figure out why the only person he can imagine having sex with is that friend.

No, he doesn't have to, but he most certainly could and very likely did.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2006, 12:28:41 am »
I love it too, and since for once I can actually remember someone to credit, let me add that it was Casey Cornelius' thread. (I think starboardlight may have participated also.) I was so blown away by it because it was still fairly early in my Brokeback career. Before that, I had seen that tar-spreading scene as pretty much just a quick way to what kind of jobs Ennis was taking over the years. And when they started pointing to all the little clues about what this or that meant, I felt like a whole new world was opening up (and like my time on the board should qualify me for a graduate degree in film studies!).

By the way, I remember one funny line from that discussion. This time I can't remember who said it (maybe jshane?) but anyway. Someone said Ennis was probably thinking about Jack when he stared off into the distance, and the other person said, "Are you kidding? I'M thinking about Jack when I stare off into the distance. There's no doubt he is!"

yeah, Casey started some beautifully insightful threads. I didn't really take part in the tar-spreading thread, but I did have one post in the Drive-In movie thread.

Here's a link to the thread in our archive.

http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive/surfparty.html

We started discussion why "Surf Party" was chosen and why that scene in the movie in particular. Read through for some interesting theory. But yeah, it seemed to be a consensus that it recalled many of the early Jack and Ennis moments. I suggested that it was a contrast with the opening scenes. In the film, the guy and girl introduced themselves as she comes out of the trailer, and they openly flirt, reminding Ennis of how they also introduced themselves as they came out of Aguirre's trailer, and they had a subtle flirtation.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2006, 12:57:52 am »
Tia is the way I shorten it.  ;D

Well, sure, but that doesn't make you an authority on how ALL men think, now does it?

No, he doesn't have to, but he most certainly could and very likely did.

While this is not a regular message board run by an ISP, according to internet etiquette, it is rude to shorten the a person's "ID" name. I could mess with your Spanish name and say something accordingly.  :P

I am not an authority on all men; but, I am old enough to know quite about a bit about them. What makes you an authority on male sexual activity. All men are not alike when it comes to sexual preferences; not every guy masturbates.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Geocities?
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2006, 01:04:56 am »
Here's a link to the thread in our archive.

http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive/surfparty.html

Hot damn Starboardlight, how did you do that???  Is there really an archive for the IMDb threads?  Cool, who has access to it??

J
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Ennis keeps remembering Jack during the four year interval
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2006, 07:18:57 am »
Hey Chris:  What is TOB?  The Other Board??  please confirm or explain...  Here is one more explanation that I read on IMDb two days ago:  The boy in the film is telling the pretty little blonde girl that it is illegal to park their trailer, ie:  camp on the beach, and that is reminiscent of the illegal camping that Aguirre insisted that the herder do up on Brokeback.  Do you think that is too obscure?

The reason we believe that Ennis is thinking of Jack when he is tarring, is who in their right mind would not be reminiscing and pining for last summer's peaceful idylic job up with his buddy Jack?  Versus being teamed up with *such* a blabbermouth, man!   --  if I have to listen to him all day!  And plus the fact the the guy says "broke back".

Hi J, sorry I missed this question the other day.  Yes, TOB=The Old/Original Board.  Yeah, the film at the drive-in having dialog reminiscent of the rules for sleeping with the sheep is a little obscure to me, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a deliberate choice.  I like your take that Ennis would have been thinking of Jack while tarring using the "wouldn't you" approach (and the answer is yes).  I like even more that you picked up on "Broke back's and weak minds run in the family" reminding Ennis of Broke-back - actually I think he says "bad back's" but I might have miss-heard this.  Thanks for pointing it out though! :)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare