Author Topic: Why the Lie?  (Read 52704 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Why the Lie?
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2006, 05:23:31 pm »
Hey there people,

Let's just let the "wrang it out" issue go for now since it seems to be causing distress and go back to the question of the fishing buddies story that Ennis tells Alma. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2006, 05:29:54 pm »
Hey there people,

Let's just let the "wrang it out" issue go for now since it seems to be causing distress and go back to the question of the fishing buddies story that Ennis tells Alma. 

No kidding, Amanda - Someone could easily wring their neck tripping over long arguments about what 'wrang it out' means!  ;D
Some great points have been made so far..:)
I always thought that the "rolling his own" comment was in reference to masturbation. 
Didn't even think twice about it until now. 
Okay, we can move on from it now.   ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2006, 05:34:55 pm »
It seems like the "wrang it out" problem would be a good topic for the "double meanings" thread.  I still like that the word "twist" was used so often in the various definitions of "wring/ wrang."
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2006, 05:53:21 pm »
I always thought that the "rolling his own" comment was in reference to masturbation. 

When one is rolling his own, it has to do with buying his own pouch of smoking tobacco and own cigarette papers and hand-rolling his own cigarettes. If a gay guy who smokes lets another smoker cowboy take him home with him, the cowboy host provides the ready-made cigarettes after sex. While "riding more than bulls" refers to bull riders, "riding more than horses" refers to saddle bronc and bareback horse rodeo riders. And, the expression is sex related.

The screenwriters used artistic license and had added a scene with Alma seeing the card first before Ennis did and asking him about Jack Twist.

It is several years after the reunion takes place before the short story narrative mentions Ennis's fishing (or trips, even) with Jack twice a year.

The first time fishin' is used in a dialog is when Alma asks if Ennis still goes fishin' with Jack at Thanksgiving after she divorces him.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2006, 06:17:45 pm »
LJ

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

O0

Heathen

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2006, 09:41:59 pm »
Lucise -

What you learn on this board.  I was sure about "wrang it out" but had never heard of "rolling his own"!

(See ya soon RouxB!)
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2006, 09:53:53 pm »
All users here have the ability to change their handle at any time.  The reasons people do this vary considerably.  I hope people will judge the messages written here based on their individual merit.  I always remember people do change over time, and my hope is always that the change that occurs is positive.

That's my two cents anyway.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2006, 11:17:59 pm »
Coming from someone who grew up in small town Texas, I can tell you, I have never heard "wrang it out" used in any other fashion except in reference to masturbation.

In reference to the lie, I think Ennis was just scared and nervous and perhaps a little ashamed and his first instinct was to lie.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Geocities?
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2006, 12:05:42 am »
Several of us started saving threads that we liked to our hard drives. When the trolls started to delete the threads on the board, we got together and compiled our archives together. Someone was kind enough to host this archive. We can only use it to read what had been posted. We can't really interact with it anymore, in terms of adding posts. It's a nice resource for reading what others have said and theorized about the details of the movie. Here's the link to the archive. Enjoy. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/bbmarchive/

Hey, thanks Starboardlight, that is a wonderful resource!  I have already visited it, and it is rich beyond imagining.  Questions though, stuff at Geocities has a tendency to get dead when the person who hosted it moves on, will BetterMost set up a contingency plan for this possibility?  I certainly hope that we have BetterMost in our lives for a long long long time!

I am a relative newcomer to this wonderful community, (only saw BBM on April 14th if you can believe it) and I can't think of a more opportune time to ask this so here goes:  I have gleaned from what I have read that the IMDb Brokeback Mountain messageboard was attended very early, in fact even before the movie was released.  It got busy in Dec and Jan, and at some point (in Jan?) the serious posters branched off into a Secret Society called Pierre Tremblay, the name of the Assistant Producer of our beloved BBM.  They did it to escape the demonic trolls, and membership in this elite group was by invitation only.  Here comes the question:  (actually 2 or 3 questions):

How and when did the trolls discover that you were all re-grouped at Chez Tremblay?

I understand Pierre Tremblay answered questions and contributed (at the beginning?).  Can you point me in the direction of the threads he contributed to, answered questions, etc?

Actually if one of you original members would compose a short  -- no make that a long story about the beginnings of CT, the founding members, etc, the evolution of the whole Brokeback Mountain phenomenon, IMDB-to-BetterMost, I would find it exceedingly interesting.

please please please!  and thanks!
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2006, 12:19:38 am »
All users here have the ability to change their handle at any time.  The reasons people do this vary considerably.  I hope people will judge the messages written here based on their individual merit.  I always remember people do change over time, and my hope is always that the change that occurs is positive.

That's my two cents anyway.

Thank you, Phillip.

But, some people are stubborn when it comes to change and that included people who are like the fictional Ennis Del Mar.