Author Topic: Atheists: Come out, come out, wherever you are  (Read 69523 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Atheists: Come out, come out, wherever you are
« on: May 26, 2006, 07:57:18 pm »
I'm a committed atheist; I stopped believing in gods at age 13.  As concerned as I am about the assault on gay rights, I've come to the conclusion that the ever-thinning wall of separation of church and state is the single most important issue facing the U.S. today.  Fixing that would fix so many other issues at the same time.

So I've been investigating books and podcasts on the subject of atheism, the role of science in public policy, etc.,  and was struck by the following.

Again and again, I find this point being made:  that atheists need to take a lesson from the gay community and come out of the closet.  "Look what good it did to the cause of gay rights after more and more people came out," they say, stressing the importance of visibility. 

I'm reminded of a lesbian friend from Canada who lived in my home town for two years.  As she was returning to Nova Scotia at the end of her stay, I asked her about her impressions of the U.S. and Americans after living here.  She didn't need to think about it:  to paraphrase, she said "you have freedom of religion here, but you don't have freedom from religion.  I learned very quickly not to mention that I don't believe in gods, because Americans just freak out."

So I've decided I'm going to come out as an atheist, and have bought some T-shirts so that people will know my stance when I wear them.

The T's say

"Friendly Atheist" (my favorite, as it's the least "in your face")
"Lord, Protect Me From Your Followers"
"I Think, Therefore I'm Atheist."

Anyway, if you don't believe in gods either -- or if you consider yourself agnostic -- I encourage you to come out of the closet, letting those around you know your beliefs.  It's important to increase  our visibility, and to let others know that there is moral behavior without it being caused by fear of a god.

Cheers!   ;D
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Atheists: Come out, come out, wherever you are
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:08:32 pm »
I'm agnostic.   I don't want to be a full fledged athiest so I can make a short prayer everytime I buy a lottery ticket!   Not that that is working either.... :-\

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 08:16:47 pm »
Agnostic too! I guess it was my upbringing. Having been raised by a single parent, my mother had 'more material' things to think and teach us about.

Around where I live though, this is nothing very special.

I tend to prefer believing in humans..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 10:30:21 pm »
Hiya Imp,

Do you hang out on the Infidels forum?  http://www.infidels.org/

I'm not an atheist, but it's one of my favorite websites due to just the sheer rational reasonable tone of the members.  They also have a cool t-shirt, reading/movie recommendations, book reviews, all kinds of debates and challenges and many of the people in the forum/website are scholars of all kinds.

HIGHLY recommend this website.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 02:11:26 am »
I dunno what I am. I like to think I'm nothing really when it comes to religion, so I guess that falls under "Atheist".  ??? Religion has just never been a part of my life. I think that the only person I should look to for guidance/help is myself.

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 02:13:16 am »
"I Think, Therefore I'm Atheist."

Whoa! LOL!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 05:07:15 am »

I lost my ability to have "faith" at a very early age. I couldn't believe that good things are possible if you "pray".. To me, you make your own luck. You create your own opportunities.

And the pragmatist in me cannot believe in something unreal or irrational.

I totally believe in Jesus Christ - I believe he walked the earth. I believe he was a great man who had much to teach people. And I also believe that in his death, the story got fucked up by opportunists. ie - i believe Dan Brown's take on this story from "the Da Vinci Code". But all that walking on water shit.. I just can't buy that. I don't and can't believe in it. Its irrational.

And I don't like the idea of signing myself over to a higher power. The whole concept of "faith" has never washed with me.
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 07:44:10 am »
Same here, Sheyne.  I think I've always been an atheist who was just desperately trying to be a believer so as to fit in.  Faith has never washed with me, either.  I've never felt that God was really listening when I prayed, and I've never felt anything in any church except foolish.  I finally accepted my own atheism in the past year.  It took a hurricane (and my countrymen's apathy about it) to do that.  The catalyst was a woman from my old neighborhood saying to me in a store a week after Katrina hit and at the height of all those poor people's misery:  "I just praise God it was them and not us."  I don't think I've ever been so angry in all my life.  There it was - clear as day.  I kept coming back to the word 'praise' and shaking all the more.

My husband has been an atheist all his life, too.  But he's still having trouble being open about it.  When it comes right down to it, he still is afraid to rock the boat.  I'm not.  When churchies ask me where I go to church now, I don't just politely say "I'm not currently attending any church."  I say, "I don't go to church.  I haven't in a long time."  If they pursue it, I tell them why.  I used to worry about being insulting.  But as Ennis would say, fuck it.  Who's being more insulting?  Me by being honest, or they by being so arrogant as to assume I believe what they believe and to imply that I should if I don't?

Sign me up for one of them there shirts.  Actually, I think I'd like mine to say "Militant Atheist."  If that's a tad much, how about "Proud Atheist Since 2005.  Atheist Since 1965."
No more beans!

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 10:17:15 am »

Sign me up for one of them there shirts.  Actually, I think I'd like mine to say "Militant Atheist."  If that's a tad much, how about "Proud Atheist Since 2005.  Atheist Since 1965."

I bought my T-shirts at CafePress.com.  Do a search using "atheist" and you'll find scores and scores of 'em.

(I also saw a T there for gay men that made me laugh:  "That's 'Mr. Fag' to you")

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 10:18:10 am »
Hiya Imp,

Do you hang out on the Infidels forum?  http://www.infidels.org/

Yep!  I know of it and agree it's fantastic.  Thanks!