Author Topic: Atheists: Come out, come out, wherever you are  (Read 69715 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Atheists: Come out, come out, wherever you are
« Reply #150 on: May 24, 2010, 01:50:55 pm »
dirtbiker - theocracy is NOT going to happen in America.  IF it was ever likely to happen it would have been when those fundamentalist nutcases, the Pilgrims, my ancestors, landed at Plymouth, because they had the advantage of being the first ones to stake out territory.  It is way too late - and separation of Church and State are enshrined in our Constitution, as much as the Sarah Palin's of the world are trying to repeal it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #151 on: May 24, 2010, 02:06:59 pm »
Richard Dawkin's God Delusion! 
Richard Dawkin´s is great. I love his sense of logic.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #152 on: May 24, 2010, 02:35:35 pm »
<Then whence cometh evil?>  That is obvious.  Through our willful actions that are destructive to others.

I would add our inaction to this as well.

I don't believe in organized religions devised by humankind - there's sometimes too much hypocrisy and they are sometimes too self-serving for me.   The basic tenets of them are good - but they get twisted around until they only serve humankind's need for power, and are suceptible to human corruption.  And - surprise! - they place humankind in some kind of self-proclaimed dominion of the Earth.   Negative messages such as these, reinforced over the centuries by religions, are tough to change.  I do believe in a higher power though, God, a Creator, something higher than ourselves.   When I look around at the natural world, I just feel there must be something higher than ourselves, something with a deeper meaning.  Atheism has always struck me as just one more example of mankind's arrogance and self-importance.

I was raised as a Protestant; and have always had a curiosity regarding spirituality.   Over the years, my beliefs incorporate Buddhist, Hindu and Native American and Celtic, as well, and I don't discount some of the basic, loving tenets of most.  When they get twisted into hateful beliefs is where I draw the line.   I think my personal beliefs are as valid as any.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:39:31 am by marina »
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline dirtbiker

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #153 on: May 24, 2010, 06:52:10 pm »
dirtbiker - theocracy is NOT going to happen in America.  IF it was ever likely to happen it would have been when those fundamentalist nutcases, the Pilgrims, my ancestors, landed at Plymouth, because they had the advantage of being the first ones to stake out territory.  It is way too late - and separation of Church and State are enshrined in our Constitution, as much as the Sarah Palin's of the world are trying to repeal it.

Well never say never.  Apathy could lead to unpleasant changes!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #154 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »
Yes, it could happen. Look at Iran.

I do actually care about this, I strongly support separation of church and state, what I don't care about is weather or not there is a here after. I do think that religion, including divinity in all its forms is a human creation, and as such, somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy. Could Armageddon happen? Sure, if some one in the right place and the right time thought it was their duty to make it happen.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #155 on: May 24, 2010, 08:49:59 pm »
Alls I can say is wow!
Kinda sad.  :-\
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #156 on: May 24, 2010, 10:53:14 pm »
Yes, it could happen. Look at Iran.

I do actually care about this, I strongly support separation of church and state, what I don't care about is weather or not there is a here after. I do think that religion, including divinity in all its forms is a human creation, and as such, somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy.

I very much agree with this perspective.  The fact that the U.S. constitution is so much a product of Enlightenment era philosophy makes me think that this understanding of religion as human-made (something right out of Voltaire among others) might have a lot to do with the separation of church and state that we thankfully have now.

And, I agree that principles like that need to be guarded.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2010, 03:49:58 am »
It´s interesting to see the different kinds of replies that a little thread on atheism creates.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2010, 08:34:30 am »
The fact that the U.S. constitution is so much a product of Enlightenment era philosophy makes me think that this understanding of religion as human-made (something right out of Voltaire among others) might have a lot to do with the separation of church and state that we thankfully have now.

I agree.  I am always amazed by the foresight of the founders of our US Constitution.   Not only does it provide for people to believe how they wish, but also to keep religion out of government.   :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Sophia

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Your elbows, try to lick them
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2010, 09:23:13 am »
I am glad that state and religion are as part as possible.  :)