Author Topic: Hanes Underwear Print Ad Controversy  (Read 6223 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Hanes Underwear Print Ad Controversy
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:11:47 am »
I did a Betttermost search and nothing came up about this controversy so I hope it hasn't been discussed already.

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/04/hanes-utilizing.html

Excerpt: Via Joe.My.God comes this image of a new ad from Hanes, promoting their tagless underwear with the tagline "Because the World Gives You Enough Labels". The ad features a man dragging a stereotype- and slur-laden character. Joe reports that the ad was created by the Bombay division of McCann Erickson, so it's unlikely to appear in American markets.
[...]Effective, or just offensive?

GLAAD complains and Hanes apologizes for ads...

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/04/hanes-issues-ap.html?cid=111303752#comment-111303752

Personally, I don't find them offensive at all,  I think they are brilliant and thought provoking.  What do you think?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Hanes Underwear Print Ad Controversy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 12:16:42 am »
I'm not sure WHAT I think about it. It is one of those things where some will be overly offended and others will not be offended at all. I'm not too crazy about the ad with the N word in it though. What does the other one say? Pak? What does that mean?

David.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 12:21:09 am »
I dont' like advertising that makes me try to figure out what they are trying to say. If they are selling undies where are they? Are they so bad they are ashamed to show them?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 12:32:08 am »
I'm not sure WHAT I think about it. It is one of those things where some will be overly offended and others will not be offended at all. I'm not too crazy about the ad with the N word in it though. What does the other one say? Pak? What does that mean?

David.

It says Paki.  It's a slur against Indian people I believe.  I'm not sure what it means.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

Paki / Pakki
    (Primarily UK and Canada, sometimes US, NZ and India) a South Asian. Within the UK, the term originates in Northern England, where a large number of South-Asians arrived in the 1950s and 1960s, and where they and their descendents have settled in cities such as Bradford and Leeds. It is usually considered offensive when used by a non-South Asian in the UK.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 12:39:29 am »
It says Paki.  It's a slur against Indian people I believe.  I'm not sure what it means.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

Paki / Pakki
    (Primarily UK and Canada, sometimes US, NZ and India) a South Asian. Within the UK, the term originates in Northern England, where a large number of South-Asians arrived in the 1950s and 1960s, and where they and their descendents have settled in cities such as Bradford and Leeds. It is usually considered offensive when used by a non-South Asian in the UK.

Hmmm. Maybe I should have called Alex over and asked him before I asked all of you! :D

Thanks Del! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.