Author Topic: Pronunciation Poll  (Read 30130 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Pronunciation Poll
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 06:27:11 pm »
A great idea, David! This was fun.   :)

Here's one I didn't see on there. Most New Orleanians pronounce it

New OR-luns

I'm not a New Orleanian - but that's how I pronounce it, too!

Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:15 pm »
David, you forget a few classic New England/New York names:

Gloucester

Gloss-ter or

Glou-ches-ter

Worcester

Wuss-ter or

Wor-ches-ter

Patchogue

Patch-ogg or

Patch-o-gooey

Quogue

Quogue or

???

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 09:29:18 pm »
Worcester

Wuss-ter

And I always thought it was Wuss-tah.   ???

Patchogue

Patch-o-gooey

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 10:22:05 pm »
Question for yas? Do your News Presenters pronounce place names differently to everyone else. The tv presenters make a concerted effort to pronounce them differently to just about everyone else including the locals
eg a small town south of here spelt Oamaru. Virtually all of us say Om-ma- roo but not our oh so circumspect presenters, O- oma- roo. Sometimes you just about have to think twice about where they are talking about!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 11:51:03 pm »
Locals' pronunciations of place names are so often unexpected. In Minnesota, there's a town called Monticello, which people pronounce Mon-ti-SEH-lo. There's a town named Gentilly that people call Gently (GENT-lee). And in New Mexico, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, there's a town called Madrid, which people pronounce MAD-rid.

injest

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 12:31:15 am »
Question for yas? Do your News Presenters pronounce place names differently to everyone else. The tv presenters make a concerted effort to pronounce them differently to just about everyone else including the locals
eg a small town south of here spelt Oamaru. Virtually all of us say Om-ma- roo but not our oh so circumspect presenters, O- oma- roo. Sometimes you just about have to think twice about where they are talking about!!

oh lort. I had a teacher that called the river that makes the boundary between Texas and Louisiana the "Sab INE' " river....when we ALL know it is the "suhbeen" River. (Sabine River)

then there is a city across the line there in Louisiana I have heard called "Bose ee aire City" when we all know it is "Bos shur City" (Bossier City, LA.)

:laugh: :laugh:

injest

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 12:34:09 am »
  (tomato)
 tuh-may-toe
 puh-tay-toe (potato)

Ga-rahdge (Garage)

Loo-ee-see-ana (Louisiana)

New Or-LEANS (New Orleans)
 Loo-EE-ville (Louisville)
  Poursh (Porsche)
 Ask (Ask)

TOY-let (Toilet)

WIN-doh (Window)

WAH-shing-tun (Washington)

Kreek (Creek)

PICK-tshur (Picture)

Kant (Can't)

KAYnt
 Dore (Door)

oh and my mother calls the police the "Poh leez"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 12:59:46 am »
Locals' pronunciations of place names are so often unexpected. In Minnesota, there's a town called Monticello, which people pronounce Mon-ti-SEH-lo. There's a town named Gentilly that people call Gently (GENT-lee). And in New Mexico, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, there's a town called Madrid, which people pronounce MAD-rid.

We have a Monticello in Indiana too, and we pronounce it Mon-tih-SEL-loh. I was shocked when I went to Virginia and I heard it pronounced Mon-ti-CHEL-loh.

We have a town just to the north of Indianapolis named Carmel. We pronounce it KAR-mel, but all of the out of towners pronounce it kar-MEL. We put the emphasis on the first syllable. People from out of town seem to want to put the emphasis on the second syllable.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 01:08:04 am »
We have a town just to the north of Indianapolis named Carmel. We pronounce it KAR-mel, but all of the out of towners pronounce it kar-MEL. We put the emphasis on the first syllable. People from out of town seem to want to put the emphasis on the second syllable.

Like the candy. Some call it CAR-mul, and others seem to call it KAH-ra-mel. At least the announcers on commercials do -- maybe they just want to stretch it out to make it sound extra delicious.

How is the city in California pronounced? Isn't it "kar-MEL by the Sea"?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:10:41 am »
Like the candy. Some call it CAR-mul, and others seem to call it KAH-ra-mel. At least the announcers on commercials do -- maybe they just want to stretch it out to make it sound extra delicious.

How is the city in California pronounced? Isn't it "kar-MEL by the Sea"?

I think it is Katherine.

Around here, we can always tell when somebody isn't from here by the way they pronounce Carmel. lol

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.