Author Topic: 1968 (Forty years later...)  (Read 70414 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: 1968 (Forty years later...)
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2008, 07:33:26 am »
So I am sleeping away, happily, and then for no known reason I wake up at 3:30 am with this running through my head:

So there's green alligators
And long-necked geese
And humpy-backed camels and some chimpanzees
And cats and rats and elephants and sure as you're born
You're never gonna see a unicorn

I didn't even watch the video posted here. Those lyrics are from the depth of the useless filing cabinet known as "my brain." I wonder how close I am to correct?

(Leslie scurries off to find a song lyric site).

EDIT TO ADD: I just listened to the song and I'd say I was pretty damn close! Maybe they say humpty-backed camels with a T (like humpty-dumpty, I guess) but I had the rest right (for the final verse, that is).

I forgot all about Noah and the poor drowning unicorns. What a sad song! LOL

LHN
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:08:07 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2008, 09:04:29 am »
Wow, that was fun, Jack.  Thanks.

I turned 5 in 1968, but I know most of those songs.  In fact, #76 holds a special place in my heart, as it was the first 45 I ever owned (and I still have it!):  The Unicorn by the Irish Rovers.  It kinda stands out as an odd duck amongst all the other rock and pop hits.

What a great song Paul!!! Thanks for sharing that. I do remember the song, but I have not heard it in ages. You are right it does stand out as an odd duck among the others. And here is something that is funny I remember hearing that song when I was little and I thought it was a true story of why there were no unicorns  :laugh: I really did! I also used to think that songs that had the word "baby" in them were talking about real babies as in infants. For example, songs like "Since I Lost My Baby" meant that someone had lost their baby, their child  :laugh:

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008, 09:08:57 am »
And here is something that is funny I remember hearing that song when I was little and I thought it was a true story of why there were no unicorns  :laugh: I really did! I also used to think that songs that had the word "baby" in them were talking about real babies as in infants. For example, songs like "Since I Lost My Baby" meant that someone had lost their baby, their child  :laugh:

Jack, that is funny.........we were all pretty naeive then eh?

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2008, 09:16:55 am »
Jack, that is funny.........we were all pretty naeive then eh?

Naive and oblivious, I think. I listen to some of these old songs and say to myself, how I did I miss all these references to sex and drugs? Robert Plant singing, "I want to be your back door man" (c'mon, quick, what song? what group? what year? I am sure 90% of the people here know.) but back then I just thought it was a catchy lyric. LOL.

I mean, heck, we can even turn those missing unicorns into something dirty if we felt like it!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2008, 09:18:06 am »
Thank you so much for sharing your and Meryl's Hairy experience with us, John. Those are totally wonderful pictures! And thanks for the Top 100 list of 1968. These days, are there still 100 songs that are published in one year? I wonder! So many of those made the memories rush back!!

Yes Lee there are still lists of the top 100 songs of a year; however, the songs in my opinion do not match up to music such as this. For one thing most of the Billboard Hot 100 which is what used to be and still is the main Billboard chart consists of urban rap songs. I just never have been able to bring myself to like many of the rap songs although some are ok. For one thing I don't like the messages they have such as hate, killing, and the like. That is quite an odd message compared to these songs of the 60s that were mainly associated with making the world a more peaceful place. We could use a lot of these messages today if we look at the state of the world we now live in. However, there are still good songs coming out. They are just fewer and further inbetween. Also, there are now so many different Billboard charts. There is even one for the top Ringtones.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:58 am »
Naive and oblivious, I think. I listen to some of these old songs and say to myself, how I did I miss all these references to sex and drugs? Robert Plant singing, "I want to be your back door man" (c'mon, quick, what song? what group? what year? I am sure 90% of the people here know.) but back then I just thought it was a catchy lyric. LOL.

I mean, heck, we can even turn those missing unicorns into something dirty if we felt like it!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

L

Oh yeah Leslie......we sang along to all these songs of "gettng high", "light my fire", "girl you're a woman now", and god knows what else was in the meaning of some of those songs back then.

But truth is, if we were so oblivious to what they meant, then our parents certainly had LESS concept of what hey meant...... ::) ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2008, 09:46:18 am »
Hey!  I'd never heard of Jonathan Groff, but he's going to be in Ang's new Woodstock movie!

Ang is going to have a Woodstock movie....WOW, that should be great. When is it supposed to come out?

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2008, 09:54:02 am »
I turned 17 in 1968.....met my husband in March 1968......got engaged to him in July 1968 (my 17th birthday)......and married him in February 1969.....

(and its still going strong)

I was lucky to be a teenager thru the sixties.....was into Elvis....then Beatlemania.....then the hippie era......there was some fantastic music, and as I look down that list of songs, I reckon I could still sing word for word every one of them.......

OUR song  was Young Girl by The Union Gap......whenever we hear it now, we look at each other and smile that "remember when" smile...and you know, when I remember, I can even smell the perfume I wore and the after shave he wore.........there is nothing like a song to bring back memories......

That's a great song Katie - "Young Girl" by The Union Gap. It is funny how songs can bring back memories. All of a sudden you are transported back to a different time and a different place. I heard the song on the radio the other day "If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago and it took me right back to when my first relationship, Steve, and I were staying at a friend's apartment. I guess that was kind of our song and I remember him telling me that this is the way he would feel if we ever broke up. It brought to mind another song too which was another one of our songs, "All By Myself" by Eric Carmen. I remember that day he told me that he felt this way before he met me. Oh well, we broke up many, many years ago. I sometimes wonder wherever he is if he remembers these songs and that time too. And now I am feeling sad  :'(

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2008, 10:03:25 am »

L

Good job with the lyrics, Leslie, but don't go turning my Unicorn song into something nasty!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2008, 10:06:11 am »
Good job with the lyrics, Leslie, but don't go turning my Unicorn song into something nasty!

Oh c'mon, what's the mythology about unicorns? They lay their heads in the laps of young virgins?