Author Topic: 1968 (Forty years later...)  (Read 71107 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: 1968 (Forty years later...)
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 10:51:58 am »
Oh c'mon, what's the mythology about unicorns? They lay their heads in the laps of young virgins?

Ouch!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 11:03:36 am »
Something else about a lot of those old songs: Back in those days you could actually hear and comprehend a lot of the lyrics (even if you didn't necessarily comprehend some the double meanings, you still knew what words were being sung). Think how clear the lead vocals were on "Young Girl," just as a for instance.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2008, 11:12:39 am »
But now I have to say--Jonathan Groff is really a White Boy worth talking about!  :o

I loved him in Spring Awakening as the brave, anguished, forthright Melchior Gabor, and, when he was to be in Hair in Central Park this month (but leaving the production early, yesterday, on Sunday, August 17), I said to Meryl--that's it, it's this weekend or not at all! And we did it!  ;D

Funny--I sent some pictures to a friend in San Francisco, an exact contemporary (she went to see Hair in San Francisco in 1970 at 16, just as I went to see it in New York, same year)--and she sent me back an email, and said:

My goodness me!  It all comes rushing back!  I just loved that "Frank Mills" tune. What songs stayed in your mind? And such hunky cast members! Back in the day, I believe, they were probably on the 'wan' side!

Hilarious!

So here's the real White Boy, 'smooth as milk' (and hunky!) Jonathan Groff! (The extremely young and extremely talented three principals of Spring Awakening, Jonathan, his real live Lady Love, Lea Michele, and my "cousin"--Hah! Joke!--John Gallagher, Jr., the Emmy winner, have now all left the show for even more amazing things--but it's still a terrific show, so try it if you can!)

Jonathan Groff, the pride of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. ...

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwidb/people/Jonathan_Groff/
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2008, 12:11:55 pm »
Something else about a lot of those old songs: Back in those days you could actually hear and comprehend a lot of the lyrics (even if you didn't necessarily comprehend some the double meanings, you still knew what words were being sung). Think how clear the lead vocals were on "Young Girl," just as a for instance.

Young girl....get outta my life
My love for you is way outta line
Gotta run girl!
You're much too young, girl!

(Another lyric from the vault in Leslie's head)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2008, 12:21:50 pm »
Young girl....get outta my life
My love for you is way outta line
Gotta run girl!

(Another lyric from the vault in Leslie's head)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That one's been in my head since yesterday! And maybe the singing 40 years ago wasn't as clear as I thought! I remember those lines this way:

Young girl, get outta my mind!
My love for you is way outta line.
You better run, girl,

But you're a bigger music fan than I am. Your memory is probably correct.

I've been tempted to post my memory of the entire lyric of "Harper Valley P.T.A.," but I think I'll forbear!  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2008, 12:23:26 pm »
Oh c'mon, what's the mythology about unicorns? They lay their heads in the laps of young virgins?

Obviously that tale was dreamed up by a straight male.  ::)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:33 pm »
Jeff, it looks like your memory is a little clearer than mine...I'll blame it on youth, you're younger than me! LOL
Seriously, reading this now...another list I am on, people are busily discussing whether writing a story with a 16 or 17 year old character having sex with an older character, is that an issue? Or if you write a story with a 14 and a 16 year old character having sex...will the decency police come after you? Meanwhile, read these lyrics and remember that this song was no. 15 for the year! LOL...

And, disclaimer: I never even liked this song. I only remember the words (albeit not 100% correctly) because they played it endlessly on that radio that was attached to my head....

Young girl, get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run girl,
You're much too young girl
With all the charms of a woman
You've kept the secret of your youth
You led me to believe
You're old enough
To give me Love
And now it hurts to know the truth, Oh,

Beneath your perfume and make-up
You're just a baby in disguise
And though you know
That it is wrong to be
Alone with me
That come on look is in your eyes, Oh,

So hurry home to your mama
I'm sure she wonders where you are
Get out of here
Before I have the time
To change my mind
'Cause I'm afraid we'll go too far, Oh,
Young girl

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:10:54 pm by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2008, 06:58:16 pm »
OMG........OH PLEASE PLEASE DONT TURN MY SONG INTO SOMETHING NASTY...

Gotta admit though, as much as Ive listened to the song millions of times and know the words so clearly, I only ever thought of it in relation to me and Bob......but now, when I just sit here and read the words, it looks like a story hedging on pedophilia.

Just to get everyone back on track and the significance to me........Bob was 21 when I met him and I was 16, and I did tell him I was 18 when I first met him, but I did tell him the truth a few weeks later.....hence the significance of the words...

You led me to believe
You're old enough
To give me Love

I exlplained before about the "now hurry home to your Mumma"....

Ironically, the next song that the Union Gap released was.."This Girl is a Woman Now".....and that was a fitting sequal to "Young Girl" for us..........(if you know what I mean)....

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2008, 07:05:15 pm »
Now....for all of you music buffs who want more walks down memory lane, here is a link to a juke box. You click the year you want and songs from that year will play continuously on your computer. You can minimize it and do other stuff and the songs will still play in the background.....try it. There are thousands and thousands of songs....and millions and millions of memories......

(To change the year, just go back to the home page and click on the year that you want)

http://www.tropicalglen.com/Jukebox/YR-1968.html
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 09:22:01 pm »
OMG........OH PLEASE PLEASE DONT TURN MY SONG INTO SOMETHING NASTY...

Gotta admit though, as much as Ive listened to the song millions of times and know the words so clearly, I only ever thought of it in relation to me and Bob......but now, when I just sit here and read the words, it looks like a story hedging on pedophilia.

I wouldn't say that, Katie. After all, the "speaker" is telling her to go away. And I could be wrong, but it seems in my memory that little girls maybe didn't grow up as quickly in 1968 as they seem to do today. She might be a "young girl," but I never imagined she was that young.