Author Topic: 1968 (Forty years later...)  (Read 71097 times)

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: 1968 (Forty years later...)
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2008, 09:27:49 pm »
I wouldn't say that, Katie. After all, the "speaker" is telling her to go away. And I could be wrong, but it seems in my memory that little girls maybe didn't grow up as quickly in 1968 as they seem to do today. She might be a "young girl," but I never imagined she was that young.

True Jeff.....I wasnt thinking of anyone really really young....maybe someone who was maybe just underage but looked older......jail bait......and you are right, just like Gary Puckett was to tell her to "get out of his life".

Hope that's cleared that up...... ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2008, 09:40:21 pm »
That amazing summer--

Anyway: this film, "3,000 Paintings in 3 minutes," was made by a UCLA graduate student-filmmaker named Dan McLaughlin.

The music, of course, is "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams.

It was screened on "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" during the summer of 1968 (Glenn Campbell was the host)--

The impact was HUGE. I was 14 years old, and I have never, ever forgotten it.

It's great reading everyones memorys of that time and their ages.
I was about 18 months old. Maybe about Jenny's age give or take a few months.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2008, 01:12:12 pm »
I think this is interesting and this thread seems to be a good place to post it. I work at a University that consists of traditional college age students - 17 to 21 or so years old. School just started back and they are having a poster sale on the breezeway of the big student center. It is packed with students buying posters. This is something they have every year. Anyway, what amazes me and what has amazed me for several years are the posters they are selling and the posters the students are buying. I also know that these same type posters are mainly what the students have in their dorm rooms. The music posters are of The Beatles (several different ones), The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Mamas and The Papas, The Animals, Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc. I even noticed that the movie posters are of Rocky (the old one), Indiana Jones (the old one), The Godfather, etc. although I did see one of Donnie Darko. The song that was playing as I walked by was "The Ballad of John and Yoko" by The Beatles.

So what is up with this? These students were born around the years of 1987 - 1991. These groups, and even the movies, had happened long before they were even born. However, these are the posters they are buying, hanging up and even in many cases the music they are listening to. This has been going on for several years now. These are of course posters of the groups when they were young and popular, but still it is hard to understand. I know I find a lot of the music that is out now not very good, but if I were of that generation it seems I would maybe like it. Well maybe. There are groups and singers I do like such as Nickelback, Staind, 3 Doors Down, etc.

Now here is a really strange thing that happened a couple of years ago. I went down with the Resnet person (they help students establish their Internet connection) and someone had a box of LPs, you know vinyl as it is called now. The LP at the front was Liberace's Greatest Hits  ;D Now that was beyond strange. I can't even imagine me at any point in my life carrying around a record by Liberace  :laugh:

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2008, 01:30:17 pm »

Late at night (when I was in NH) we could get WABC (from NY) on the radio. We could also get WKBW from Buffalo, NY which made me feel like I was listening to music from Mars! WKBW was a great station, actually, although I could never call myself a "regular" listener since I'd only hear it really late at night, for an hour or two, and only in the summer. LOL.

I remember when I was growing up and I would try to see the different places I could get radio stations from. That was great!!! I can remember picking up several stations from New York City, New Orleans, Fort Wayne Indiana, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia and it is no telling where else. Some stations even were in another language meaning at the time that I was picking up something outside of the United States. Once I even started making a list of each station I could get. This was on my parents' really cool huge stereo that they actually still have. It is a piece of furniture. It literally is.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2008, 03:22:08 pm »
LIberace had "greatest hits"? That is beyond strange!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2008, 06:53:28 pm »
I know what you mean Jack, about the younger generation and their interest and and adoration of pop stars who were on the scene before most of them were born.

My son, born in 1971 is a real Elvis fan. Has big framed pictures of him in his house, and other Elvis memorablilia around the place...

Actually, he seems to go for those popular stars who died young, like Buddy Holly and Richie Valens.

I think a lot of that came from him watching the movies that were made about them. I think the movie Grease was probably the beginning of the fixation with the songs of the 50's.

The odd thing is, when I was growing up in the fifties and sixties, over here in Australia we didnt get much film footage of any of the pop stars, we heard them, but didnt see much of them, except a photo on the record cover. It was years later when we started getting video clips, and old footage of those singers.

A lot of the American stars of that era have come out to Australia for concerts over the past ten or twenty years. I was lucky to see Gene Pitney, and Bobby Vee, and Johnny Mathis, and Glen Campbell.....And I dd see the Beatles when they arrived in Sydney in 1964.....I was one of those screaming teeny boppers at Sydney Airport, screaming my lungs out.

I love the Time Life advertisements on TV...they go for half an hour, advertising sets of CD's from the fifties and sixties, showing film footage of the  artists......even though its repetitive, I still sit back and enjoy them, and then I usually download the songs of the computer and burn them onto a CD, and always make a copy for my son as well.

Did anyone try that juke box link I posted a few days ago?.....If you havent, you should, you wont be disappointed.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2008, 02:40:31 am »

The odd thing is, when I was growing up in the fifties and sixties, over here in Australia we didnt get much film footage of any of the pop stars, we heard them, but didnt see much of them, except a photo on the record cover. It was years later when we started getting video clips, and old footage of those singers.

Did anyone try that juke box link I posted a few days ago?.....If you havent, you should, you wont be disappointed.

Sue, that's true for me too, that I didn't see what they look like.  I'm stunned how many videos there are on YouTube now of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Cream, etc.  I never knew what any of them looked like, except for Eric Clapton (aka God) and Robert Plant.

I'm listening to the Jukebox now, "Angel of the Morning."  Thanks, it's great.  :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2008, 07:13:15 am »

Sue, that's true for me too, that I didn't see what they look like.  I'm stunned how many videos there are on YouTube now of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Cream, etc.  I never knew what any of them looked like, except for Eric Clapton (aka God) and Robert Plant.

I knew what the Beatles looked like, of course, and the Rolling Stones. And Herman's Hermits, the Beach Boys, Steppenwolf and whomever I might see on the Ed Sullivan Show, Hullabaloo or Shindig!

What I didn't know is what they looked like just being ordinary and I never knew all the names of the people in the band (again, with the notable exception of the Beatles!). I saw my first music video in 1982 and almost fainted. I thought it was the greatest invention since the LP. LOL.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2008, 08:36:57 am »
I knew what the Beatles looked like, of course, and the Rolling Stones. And Herman's Hermits, the Beach Boys, Steppenwolf and whomever I might see on the Ed Sullivan Show, Hullabaloo or Shindig!

I remember all of those. Not to mention The Hollywood Palace. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2008, 08:39:26 am »

What I didn't know is what they looked like just being ordinary and I never knew all the names of the people in the band (again, with the notable exception of the Beatles!). I saw my first music video in 1982 and almost fainted. I thought it was the greatest invention since the LP. LOL.

L
LOL! I remember Ed sullivan but the others were a bit before me. I grew up with American bandstand and soul train! LOL
I remember watcdhing MTV for the first time in 82 as well! It was great! Not like what it is now. Do they even play music anymore?
I think the first video I saw was Hungry like the wolf!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"