Author Topic: The Names  (Read 11487 times)

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
The Names
« on: April 27, 2008, 11:59:59 pm »
This may have been talked about before here but please bare with me on this. Oh, and this was once mentioned on the IMDb site for this movie. Unfortunately, it's no longer there. Oh, well.
Okay, now we all know that Ennis and Jack have some last names that are pretty wierd:Del Mar and Twist. I'm not trying to make fun of our boys, I'm just saying. Their last names are unusual. But, they may have some importance to the story.

I'm a dictionary bookworm and I read various Webster dictionaries at home and at school.
I've read that mar means damage, hurt, injure, disfigure, impair, etc. Also, in it, twist means bend, distort, deflect, interweave, etc. It was mentioned that the del word means lonely.
If you guys'll notice, the words mar and twist together means destruction and disaster. With those words together, they seem to imply the story's outcome of the two main characters' lives. It was said at IMDb that their last names seemed to describe their personalities. Del Mar seems to describe Ennis as very lonely and introverted while Twist displayed Jack as crazy and boistrous. And their was a debate where Annie Proulx used those names for her characters to show how they are and 'forshadowing' their fate. And their first names are really no different. Jack is a ver common name for a guy who has a strong exterior. Not that I'm saying that Ennis doesn't have a strong exterior. Jack is a typical name for someone who's manly and daring. For Ennis, his name is a little bit rare. His name is something that's more country and rather soft-like.

By the way, ironically, Heath and Jake's last names are pretty unique as well. Again, I'm not making fun of our beautiful boys. See, Ledger and Gyllenhaal are names you wouldn't normally hear everyday. Well, both of them have different heritages. These two actors have names that are very intricate, but in a good way.

Any thoughts about either of the names?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Names
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 01:55:32 am »
I am certainly not a linguist but for me the name Del Mar means "from (or of) the sea" and has the same roots as the words marine, Mary, maritime, etc. The word Twist connotes to me the gyrations that a bullrider goes thru trying to stay on the bull, and also the twisted old pines on top of Brokenback Mountain. Twist also seems to me to be a combination of "try" and "wish" and Annie Proulx said that she liked names that are an amalgam of other words, as well as wordplay.

The names Ledger and Gyllenhaal seem to be opposites in several different ways. Gyllenhaal is a playful sounding name with lots of vowels; Ledger is a solid sounding name with more consonants.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:27:03 pm »
I love the topic of their names!  So poetic.

Gabreya, I think you're right on to notice that both the names have English connotations that imply something beyond the norm.

That "mar" means "damaged", "injured" or "disfigured"... just seems so powerful and important to Ennis in terms of his inner turmoil and the psychological damage he suffered as a child (exposed to the murder by his father).

I agee with Lee too, that the "del Mar" as in the sea... is equally important... and seems to play into a lot of imagery in the film.  A lot of times I've heard his whole name, Ennis del Mar... interpreted as meaning "island in the sea."

In any case his name is certainly multi-layered with complex meaning.

And, as far as "Twist" goes, that's also such a complex name.  I love reading all the zillions of different dictionary definitions of that word (and there are tons if you look at a big dictionary like the Oxford English Dictionary).  Again, very multi-layered in terms of positive and negative connotations.

I do recall Proulx saying somewhere that she was specifically thinking about a rodeo (bull-riding) term in naming him "Twist."

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:30:31 pm »
Thanks, atz75. Yeah. I always knew that del mar was like a lonely sea. I read that somewhere in a new Webster dictionary at school. I've read any kinds of dictionaries known to man. They're names are very complex.

Say, Front-Ranger, what did you mean about the vowels and consonants of the actors last names?
Also, if you don't mind me asking, what other way or ways are the names different(even though they totally are)? I don't a whole lot about their last names.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:30:59 am »
I don't know a whole lot about the names Gyllenhaal and Ledger. I'll bet you could find out a lot by checking the Heath! Heath! Heath! or the Jake! Jake! Jake! threads.

oregondoggie sent some information about the name Ennis and here it is:

Today, happened to look at The Sheridan, Wyo., County Tour Guide (2006).  In it the Bozeman Trail Gallery has a full page ad that includes a pen and ink drawing of an aged cowboy named "Old Man Ennis", an original illustration by Edward Borein (1872-1945) for a book called "The Phantom Bull".   Google indicates that Ennis ranched in the Madison Valley in Montana.  In fact, there is a town there now called Ennis, almost certainly named after him.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:52:42 pm »
Very interesting...

Say, I just had an epiphany...or maybe you could call it an epiphAnnie!

Take the final "s" off of Ennis, and Enni sounds and looks much like...Annie!!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:54:51 am »
One of the most famous literary Twists, is Oliver Twist in the Dickens novel. I wonder if there is a connection here.Dickens uses the novel to mock the hypocrisies of the time,particularly the poor law,which said, that all poor people must work in workhouses.
Why, it is hardly their fault that they are poor.
The S.S in effect challenges us to examine some of the hypocrisy of our time.It is O.K to go and kill in wars at a very young age and yet love between same sex is wrong.Why it is hardly their fault that they love as they do.
In fact most would probably wish to live as heterosexual,just as the poor would wish to live as rich.If for no other reason Than it is easier.
So war is O.K and love is not
Also Oliver in all films, is cast as a winsome child,with big pleading eyes and the childish belief that it will all work out.He is of course a child.That reminds me of some one else.Jack maybe an adult but he still holds that same chidish innocence that it will all work out.

Proulx is obviously a very well read author and I wonder if the name Twist may have been inspired by Dickens' Twist,
There really do seem to be some parallels,particularly the challenge of long held,unfair and outdated beliefs by the masses,which result in marginalisation of the few.Those who hold themselves up as the moral arbitrators,of the few.Back in Dickens time,the rich judged the poor.Today the right wing moral so called Christians judge homosexuality.

Of course one difference is that Oliver gets his happy ending,Jack does not.
Also the poor law was eradicated,
 and yet still gay hatred and inequality continues.So looked at in those terms we as humans have regressed.
At least all those years ago the injustice was finally righted.We are still waiting for that to happen with this issue.In other words how far have we really come?
Both stories seem to be tales of moral judgenent of the few by the self righteous many, hardship etc so maybe that is where Twist comes from.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:51:15 pm »
One of the most famous literary Twists, is Oliver Twist in the Dickens novel. I wonder if there is a connection here.Dickens uses the novel to mock the hypocrisies of the time,particularly the poor law,which said, that all poor people must work in workhouses.
Why, it is hardly their fault that they are poor.
The S.S in effect challenges us to examine some of the hypocrisy of our time.It is O.K to go and kill in wars at a very young age and yet love between same sex is wrong.Why it is hardly their fault that they love as they do.
In fact most would probably wish to live as heterosexual,just as the poor would wish to live as rich.If for no other reason Than it is easier.
So war is O.K and love is not
Also Oliver in all films, is cast as a winsome child,with big pleading eyes and the childish belief that it will all work out.He is of course a child.That reminds me of some one else.Jack maybe an adult but he still holds that same chidish innocence that it will all work out.

Proulx is obviously a very well read author and I wonder if the name Twist may have been inspired by Dickens' Twist,
There really do seem to be some parallels,particularly the challenge of long held,unfair and outdated beliefs by the masses,which result in marginalisation of the few.Those who hold themselves up as the moral arbitrators,of the few.Back in Dickens time,the rich judged the poor.Today the right wing moral so called Christians judge homosexuality.

Of course one difference is that Oliver gets his happy ending,Jack does not.
Also the poor law was eradicated,
 and yet still gay hatred and inequality continues.So looked at in those terms we as humans have regressed.
At least all those years ago the injustice was finally righted.We are still waiting for that to happen with this issue.In other words how far have we really come?
Both stories seem to be tales of moral judgenent of the few by the self righteous many, hardship etc so maybe that is where Twist comes from.

Cool. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:56:41 pm »
There are several literary characters that Ennis and Jack remind me of. For instance, the narrator and Jeff in The Virginian. Also, the narrator and ?? (Kevin Kline  LOL) in William Saroyan's Sophie's Choice. Jack Keroac and Dean Moriarty in On the Road. Also, Ishmael and Ahab in Moby Dick.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 11:46:16 am »
There are several literary characters that Ennis and Jack remind me of. For instance, the narrator and Jeff in The Virginian. Also, the narrator and ?? (Kevin Kline  LOL) in William Saroyan's Sophie's Choice. Jack Keroac and Dean Moriarty in On the Road. Also, Ishmael and Ahab in Moby Dick.

Jack Keroac is such a good one,The book is a must read for most teens.Thanks for that reminder.