Author Topic: Tip toe thru my tulips - and more '08  (Read 104962 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Tip toe thru my tulips - and more '08
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2008, 10:55:15 am »
                                  Bonne Fête des Mères !!

Happy Mother's Day !

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »
the near black (Queen of the Nights) tulips are beginning their 'run'. They're coming up in 3 dif'rent places this year (the newest is in the back yard)

two pics  - the two main displays in the front yard.

2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2008, 10:05:20 pm »
looks like there won't be quite as many of these as in past years ...

2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

injest

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2008, 12:12:33 am »
they make a nice contrast against the others

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: Tip toe thru my Iris - please'08
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:00 am »
Got a ton more pics taken two days ago (Saturday), but I'm gonna pause here to talk about a work in progress.

First, let me say that later this summer, Bryan's gonna revamp the main flower bed. After the tulips are done, it looks pityful. Also, before that, he's planing on creating a large flowerbed along the garage - mostly for lilies (they're my favourite and we keep buying new varieties year after year).

Anyways, this is not a lily or tulip story. It's (mostly) an iris story. They're coming out of my ying yang!! They're multiplying like rabbits.
Two years ago, when expanding the flowerbed near the driveway, I temporarily moved the larger iris to the back of the yard. Last year they flowered beautifully there, and I haven't yet moved even part of em back to the front (mostly blue and dark red - those smell like Dr. Pepper - but I digress, once again)

Here's a picture of that temporary flower bed from last year ...

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2008, 10:32:57 am »
Last year, I was thinning out - well de-grassing a flowerbed up front - from an area, just a little larger than this hole:

And from that came the following temporary flowerbed in the back:

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2008, 10:39:30 am »
But that wasn't all. Removed a whole bunch more (I don't remember from where) and put them temporarily in the back yard too - in two other spots. Got me 4 temporary iris beds in the back now. And they're quite healthy

First temporary iris flower bed (as prepared 2 years ago). photo taken this morning:

The second & third temporary iris flower bed from last year, as they looked this morning:

And the fourth 'leftover' temporary iris flower bed from last year - as photographed this morning:

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2008, 10:48:55 am »
Now here's today's story.

I was suppose to move some of those iris today (well, yesterday, but I didn't do that yesterday ...) cause they were smaller - maybe even 'dwarf' iris, and I've been working on the flowerbed nearest the sidewalk lately. a perfect place for short plants. Problem is there were also some blue iris starting to show in the tulip flowerbed (remember, the one Bryan's suppose to give an overhaul later this summer?) and I started by trying to remove those first.

From this small dig (about one square foot), I harvested about 20 healthy iris (and a half dozen sufocating tulip bulbs).

Oh & please note that in this picture, (on top, within the grass) there's yet (another 20? - 40?) more iris, due for transplant later this month.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: Tip toe thru my Iris - please '08
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2008, 10:56:56 am »
So I planted em in that front flowerbed - in 3 places instead of one (circular positioning is apparently recommended)

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
Re: Tip toe thru my iris - please '08
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2008, 11:10:51 am »
And this after just last week seperating a clump of dark red daylilies and speading em (some 15 plants) out at the bottom left of this picture,

as well as seperating some lovely 'Stella D'Or' daylilies (some 20 of em) and placing em in that area to the centre of this pic.

There might not be much of a show this year from this area - but next year - look out.

In the meantime, if I may paraphrase a song Spike Jones released in 1949: "Ya Wanna Buy a Bunny an Iris?"