Author Topic: Why are the poor, poor?  (Read 122639 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Why are the poor, poor?
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 05:25:33 pm »
yup arsed = bothered its just a colloquialism...

But its used in the negative - ie

I can't be arsed but not I can be arsed. Or arsed on its own!

A lesson in Uk slang for you!

I see then so I should have written the sentence below this way, "DL inevitably won't be 'arsed' and he will forget to pick up the shrimp...

is that how it would be used?

thanks for looking! I'll use that over supper tonight when DL inevitably will be so "arsed" he will forget to pick up the shrimp on the way home whch I need in order to make the dish he will want to eat.   

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 05:30:36 pm »
I see then so I should have written the sentence below this way, "DL inevitably won't be 'arsed' and he will forget to pick up the shrimp...

is that how it would be used?
yup!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
I think that people in the US tend to confuse equal opportunity with equal ability.  Success is not guaranteed, only the right to try.  IMO, our system is lacking a vocational tract for those who lack the ability to be surgeons but could be acheiving more than they are.  A little motivation goes a long way.  This line of thinking tends to be unpopular on in the US, but I think it is a practical viewpoint.  We could learn from our European neighbors.  The trick is not to trap people in one tract before they or anyone else know what they are capable of.

Exactly.  Not everyone has equal abilities.  Not everyone has equal opportunities.  We can try, but there is no success that's guaranteed.  I saw plenty of people in college, A-type personalities, go-getters, super-intelligent, pro-active people, aggressively pursuing their dreams and degree plans and utterly fail to get into medical school.

Now what?  They had their ducks in a row, were the creme d'la creme of academia and still failed to reach their goal.

Believe me, a bunch of people have much less drive, determination, self-confidence and intelligence than those people and to say that they 'lack the inclination' or all have a chance at success if they 'had the training' is missing the point.  Plenty of people have the inclination, fewer people have the opportunity, and even fewer people have the ability.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 11:14:12 pm »
wow so ALL the mothers on welfare are there cause they have kids by different daddies...huh.

so there are no grandparents that have lost their children to the war and their pensions to the Enron scandals...no mothers with small children whose husbands never came back from Iraq...no war veterens for that matter too injured to work...

all there is in poverty is WOMEN....SLUTTY Women at that...

huh!

you tell me, you are the one with the endless sob story posts about poverty! look at the stats they are very scary!

the rate of single mothers raising their children in poverty is astonishing. basically the men, in these all too common situations, are dogging the women and wandering off to dog again somewhere else. apparently for this classification of males, knocking up without marriage is a sign of manhood. I propose that we save the tax payers billions and billions in welfare / WIC benefits and give each male in that category a gold plated tape measure, and a digital camera. Take a picture of his male organ, put the picture in a tasteful badge and hang it around his neck. That way he can prove his maleness without bringing more poverty into the world and driving up the tax rates for the middle classes, who are supporting this endless cycle of poverty. 

What ever happened to the good old fashioned slap in the face and a "hell no" to a man who wouldn't indicate that he was able to support the kids but wanted his nookies anyway? I guess that was before the welfare state turned single mothers into a favored victim class. And a funny thing, back in the days when women would slap the fire out of a man who made "improper" moves on them, women did not have access to easy birth control or abortion, but the rate of single mothers in poverty was much much lower. But today with those birth contol remedies readily available, we still have huge and growing numbers of single women heading up households in poverty. So where is the excuse for this? Must be the mean old Republicans, couldn't be the welfare state, now could it?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 11:25:17 pm »
Exactly.  Not everyone has equal abilities.  Not everyone has equal opportunities.  We can try, but there is no success that's guaranteed.  I saw plenty of people in college, A-type personalities, go-getters, super-intelligent, pro-active people, aggressively pursuing their dreams and degree plans and utterly fail to get into medical school.

Now what?  They had their ducks in a row, were the creme d'la creme of academia and still failed to reach their goal.

Believe me, a bunch of people have much less drive, determination, self-confidence and intelligence than those people and to say that they 'lack the inclination' or all have a chance at success if they 'had the training' is missing the point.  Plenty of people have the inclination, fewer people have the opportunity, and even fewer people have the ability.

its not an issue of defining success as "admission to med school" or law school. success can be measured by just getting the bills paid without having to depend on the charity of others and the welfare state. there are so many instances in this country of honest proud working people with limited educations and abilities who refuse to think of themselves as victims, so they work at honest jobs rather than whining. the people who persevere tend to think of themselves as winners and have no interest in the social net. they have the dignity to make decisions with their lives and with their autonomous bodies which do not bring more poverty, and taxes into the world. there are many paths to success, but when people are turned into victims they will never find that path. and maybe it is the intent of those who advocate the welfare state to perpetuate a permanent class of victims. maybe they need victims, because if the victim quota dries up, most of the welfare advocates wouldn't have jobs.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 12:07:05 am »
its always the woman's fault isn't it?

and I notice that for each of my 'endless' posts you have just ONE stock answer that doesn't address the issues I raise. It is easy to say that girls should keep their legs crossed and the world's problems would be solved. Unfortunately life isn't that simple.

I have an answer that you don't wish to hear. You are interested in a pity party, not real solutions. The pity party in this country for those on welfare is over. Look at it this way, the rich pay very few taxes, the poor pay none at all.

It is hard working middle class parents, families where the father isn't dogging all the neighborhood women and the woman is not on an endless breeding welfare cycle, who are actually paying for all of the:

food,
shelter,
medical care,
dental care,
clothing,
legal aid,
educational loans and grants,

given to single parent families.

In that process, these working middle class people are forced by the tax system to give up extras for their own children.

In other words, middle class people are punished by the rich and the poor.

This not only must change, it will change. 

I'll let you get on with your pity party.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 12:14:46 am »
well when I HEAR some solutions instead of stereotypes; I will be glad to listen.

someone told me the other day "You know you are on target when the searchlights go on and the flack gets heavy"

:) :)

:laugh: :laugh: bombs away.

the exact quote was, "you know that you are over the target when the search lights go on and the flack gets heavy." and I hear those SAM missles heading my way so I know I am over the target.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 12:43:06 am »
its not an issue of defining success as "admission to med school" or law school. success can be measured by just getting the bills paid without having to depend on the charity of others and the welfare state. there are so many instances in this country of honest proud working people with limited educations and abilities who refuse to think of themselves as victims, so they work at honest jobs rather than whining. the people who persevere tend to think of themselves as winners and have no interest in the social net. they have the dignity to make decisions with their lives and with their autonomous bodies which do not bring more poverty, and taxes into the world. there are many paths to success, but when people are turned into victims they will never find that path. and maybe it is the intent of those who advocate the welfare state to perpetuate a permanent class of victims. maybe they need victims, because if the victim quota dries up, most of the welfare advocates wouldn't have jobs.

Well, you're talking short-term success then.  You missed the point.  The working poor are exactly that.  They are hard-working people who show up to their jobs every day and who have children and who - at the end of 40 years of hard labor - will have absolutely nothing to show for it, living off Social Security, Medicare, Welfare and their children because those jobs they worked so hard at didn't pay them enough to buy a house, create a savings account, build a portfolio or last long enough in the business world to give their employees the benefit of a pension plan.  Their jobs paid them enough to get by.  Period.

Based on what you just said, the fact they have a job, do not accept welfare and have a great attitude about themselves is a form of 'success'.  What kind of "success" is it that leaves someone homeless, living under a bridge or on the charity of others when they get too old or too sick to work?  Thinking themselves a winner won't buy them a cup of coffee.  There are a lot of dignified homeless people.

And as for and with their autonomous bodies which do not bring more poverty, sometimes those children are their backup plan against the time when they will have no where else to go and no one else to turn to for care.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 12:50:32 am »
Well, you're talking short-term success then.  You missed the point.  The working poor are exactly that.  They are hard-working people who show up to their jobs every day and who have children and who - at the end of 40 years of hard labor - will have absolutely nothing to show for it, living off Social Security, Medicare, Welfare and their children because those jobs they worked so hard at didn't pay them enough to buy a house, create a savings account, build a portfolio or last long enough in the business world to give their employees the benefit of a pension plan.  Their jobs paid them enough to get by.  Period.

Based on what you just said, the fact they have a job, do not accept welfare and have a great attitude about themselves is a form of 'success'.  What kind of "success" is it that leaves someone homeless, living under a bridge or on the charity of others when they get too old or too sick to work?  Thinking themselves a winner won't buy them a cup of coffee.  There are a lot of dignified homeless people.

And as for and with their autonomous bodies which do not bring more poverty, sometimes those children are their backup plan against the time when they will have no where else to go and no one else to turn to for care.

they are certainly a back up plan to get more welfare and WIC benefits.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 12:51:29 am »
you are confused Del. All the poverty stricken are girls that can't say no!

(and their offspring. )

No welfare payments go to ANYONE other than that....(and if there ARE other people on welfare we cant' discuss it here....)

;)

perhaps if they had said no, they wouldn't be mired in poverty. hunh?