Author Topic: TOTW 15/08: Confetti Quiz  (Read 35843 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: TOTW 15/08: Confetti Quiz
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:46 am »
what is a jackelope? I called up some pics of a Big Horn lamb and it sure looks like the trophy on Aguirre's wall.

I could have sworn it was a jackalope, common to Colorado and Wyoming.

The Western Jackalope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »
Finally!  I found the screen cap:

Could be a bighorn lamb, after all.  I guess Aguirre wouldn't have a sense of humor, hunh?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 12:17:35 pm »
I could have sworn it was a jackalope, common to Colorado and Wyoming.

The Western Jackalope

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackalope

ok, I thought you were being serious about the "jackalope" animal. I fell for the joke. :laugh:

But, all kidding aside, I think the trophy really is a Big Horn lamb head. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 01:40:29 pm »
wow, that went over my head. I'm curious, how do "ashes" connect Aguirre, the Jack/Ennis "wedding" scene and the story. There is a line in the ss about his hair being the color of cigarette ashes, but I suspect that you are making a deeper point here.  :)

We haven't really delved into it. I was hoping we'd get around to talking about ashes on the "Smokes and Fire" thread, but not yet. We did start to discuss the hair here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3130.msg360431.html#msg360431

Paull, maybe BOTH heads are on the wall...I would have sworn I saw a jackelope too!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 04:00:02 pm »
We haven't really delved into it. I was hoping we'd get around to talking about ashes on the "Smokes and Fire" thread, but not yet. We did start to discuss the hair here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3130.msg360431.html#msg360431

Paull, maybe BOTH heads are on the wall...I would have sworn I saw a jackelope too!

very interesting discussion on that thread. I looked at it, but to be honest nothing leapt out at me about the cigarette ashes or his gray hair. I may have missed something as there are really interesting comments. I liked the comments about the what I see as the "film noir" elements of light and shadow, venetian blinds, Ennis into the light and Jack into the dark. very clever! I love film noir, I even put up a thumbnail of "Double Indemnity" on my profile.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »
Finally!  I found the screen cap:

Could be a bighorn lamb, after all.  I guess Aguirre wouldn't have a sense of humor, hunh?

I'm curious about the suggestion that this could be a creature called a "bighorn lamb" as pictured here.  Why on earth would someone put the head of a lamb on their wall?  It's not like it's a buck with huge antlers or something.  To me it seems particularly sad to have such a small creature... a lamb even on one's wall.  Is this the first reference to the "sacrificial" lamb that comes up again following TS1 and in the guise of Earl and Jack metaphorically?

So, it's been mentioned (brilliantly) in the past that Jack's Lightning Flat bedroom is a microcosm of the whole movie or at least of the Brokeback summer (the white sloping walls equate to the white sloping canvas of the tent, etc., etc.).  Is it possible that Aguirre's office is also a microcosm of the movie?  Is Aguirre's office the bookend/ mirror scene to Jack's Lightning Flat bedroom?

Sorry to go off-topic here.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 10:56:38 pm »
I'm curious about the suggestion that this could be a creature called a "bighorn lamb" as pictured here.  Why on earth would someone put the head of a lamb on their wall?  It's not like it's a buck with huge antlers or something.  To me it seems particularly sad to have such a small creature... a lamb even on one's wall.  Is this the first reference to the "sacrificial" lamb that comes up again following TS1 and in the guise of Earl and Jack metaphorically?

So, it's been mentioned (brilliantly) in the past that Jack's Lightning Flat bedroom is a microcosm of the whole movie or at least of the Brokeback summer (the white sloping walls equate to the white sloping canvas of the tent, etc., etc.).  Is it possible that Aguirre's office is also a microcosm of the movie?  Is Aguirre's office the bookend/ mirror scene to Jack's Lightning Flat bedroom?

Sorry to go off-topic here.

I'm delighted that you went off topic. When I saw what I believed to be the head of a lamb on the wall of Farm and Ranch Employment, I felt saddened and forwarned that Aguirre wouldn't be the sensitive type who had any sympathy for Jack and Ennis. It does make a statement to offer the head of a "baby" as a trophy.

Is Aguirre's office / parking lot a microcosm of the scope of the film? I don't know, but it is worth discussing on another thread.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2008, 02:08:27 am »
Okay, good topic, but can we go back to the confetti quiz?  (Should we split the Aguirre's trailer topic off for continued discussion?)

Q:  What did Ennis and Jack do with the remains of the giant elk?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 02:13:26 am »
Friends, this is a Jackalope on Aguirre's wall. This is not a lamb, never in my life! It's a jackrabbit with assembled "horns". Jackalopes come in different sizes and shapes, just do a quick google image search.
This is the head of a rabbit, a mountain hare (Lepus timidus, sometimes also called arctic hare) to be exact.

I've enlarged the jackalope, therefore it's not very sharp. But have a look at the form of the head, at the muzzle - and don't forget the ears. White with a black tip, as the winter coat of a mountain hare is.
His right ear (left from us) hangs to the side of the head, the left ear is behind the left "horn".
And have a look at the "horns"; they're totally different from sheep horns.

A mountain hare to compare:

Hi Elle! Your post came in while I was typing. Sorry to be OT once more. Splitting the topic might be a good idea, I'll have a look later.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 02:57:50 am »
I'm enjoying the jackalope discussion, I just also am excited about the confetti quiz.  :)