Author Topic: Dream Boy And Milk  (Read 2352 times)

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
Dream Boy And Milk
« on: April 30, 2008, 11:47:59 am »
So i have been keeping a keen eye at IMDB for expected gay themed movies, i found a few; one has it's own thread: Shelter. But here are some more that look really interesting.

Dream Boy 2008

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0889595/

Synopsis

Based on the 1995 book by Jim Grimsley. A drama about taboos, love and violence, based on a best-selling novel by Jim Grimsley set in a religious community in America’s south. Fifteen-year old Nathan and his parents have recently moved to a small country town in Louisiana. One Sunday morning on the way back from church he notices the boy next door for the first time. Roy is only seventeen, but is already driving the school bus. He also has a girlfriend that he seems to love very much – at least that’s what it looks like when they kiss each other passionately one night in Roy’s truck. Before long, the two boys are doing their homework together, and, on one of these evenings Nathan takes Roy’s hand in his. Their walk ends outside the town where they find a quiet place to clumsily but gently enjoy their first kiss.
This marks the beginning of a homosexual romance between the two boys that begins to escalate dramatically. Nathan’s father has problems at work and has hit the bottle. When it becomes impossible to live with him, Nathan escapes to a nearby wood where he hides for several days. After having discovered Nathan in his hide-out, Roy decides to take him away on a camping trip that he has planned long ago with two other boys. But at a plantation that is widely believed to be haunted, the outing takes a sinister turn when Burke and Randy discover that Nathan and Roy are lovers.

There's no trailers for the film and i think it is out at the moment. It is currently being screened at the Germany Film Festival.

Here is where you can see some clips.

http://www.teddyaward.tv/2008/index2.asp?KategorieID=1051&InhaltID=1830&Seite=2

Also here's a Live Journal dedicated to it.

http://asylums.insanejournal.com/dreamboyfans/

Many people on the board for the film think it was finally accepted for production because of the Post-Brokeback Mountain phenomenon. It has been in talks for nearly a decade. So im glad it is finally going to be out there. I haven't read the book.

Has anyone read it?

Milk (2008) Expected release for November!

Synopsis

The story of California's first openly gay elected official, Harvey Milk, a San Francisco supervisor who was assassinated along with Mayor George Moscone by San Francisco Supervisor Dan White.

Directed: By Gus Van Sant (Paranoid Park and Elephant)

Distributed By: Focus Features (The same as Brokeback) I read in a article that James Shamus influenced the decision, but i cant find it. I'll post it when i do. But that's certainly means something.

Starring a impressive line up.

Senn Penn (Mystic River and I Am Sam) as Harvey Milk
Emile Hirsch (Into The Wild and The Mudge Boy) as Cleve Jones
James Franco (Spider-man 1, 2, 3 and In the Valley of Elah) as Scott Smith
Josh Brolin (No Country For Old Men and American Gangster) as Dan White

Here are some links.

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Milk
Filming Pics http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/01/first-look-sean-penn-and-emile-hirsch-in-gus-van-sants-milk/

It considered one of the top picks for the 08 Oscars, apparently Bio-Pics are guaranteed Oscar favourites.

Before i heard about this film i knew little about Harvey Milk, but i watched the documentary on YouTube and was amazed at this incredible human being. I cant believe while fictionalley Ennis and Jack were going through hell, there was a men in San Francisco supporting and actively involved in Gay Rights. He is so important to gay right movements, he is a founder, a pilgrim and a leader. I wish he was alive today, cause he would be president. Our how he was a incredible men. I hope Dan White roated in Jail.

Anyone seen the documentry? Dan's confession is morbid and tragic.

If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door

WOW, What a film this will be....

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:34:07 am by "Joseph Golden" »
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Upcoming Gay Theme Movies, Finally!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:58:59 am »
I just read Dreamboy over the weekend, I really enjoyed it. I am hoping to ready some other works by Grimsley.
It is a quite tender story, with some deep pathos back to the Christ story, I am deffinatly looking forward to seeing it.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
Re: Upcoming Gay Theme Movies, Finally!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 12:07:51 pm »
Here are some Pics for Dream Boy, gosh  :o  Don't they just make the hairs on you back stand.... They mirror those from Brokeback in a way. And the cinematography is just as eloquent.....  :laugh:

Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.