Author Topic: The New Yorker has published ANOTHER new Annie Proulx story ***SPOILERS***  (Read 18058 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Newsflash!

Friends, when I got back from the Roundup yesterday, the June 9-16 issue of The New Yorker was waiting in my mailbox, and the magazine has published yet another new Annie Proulx story. This one is called "Tits-up in a Ditch"  :o  (I'm not making that up!), and I presume it is also from her new collection, Fine Just the Way It Is: Wyoming Stories 3, due in September.

I have not read this story, but I wanted to get out the word that it's out there.

It's in the May 5 issue, which arrived in my mailbox yesterday. No details--haven't yet had time to read it--but it appears to be set in the "Old West" days of Wyoming.

It also appears that the story is from a new collection, Wyoming Stories 3, that will be out this year.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:39:03 am by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: The New Yorker has published a new Annie Proulx story
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:51:04 am »
Hot Damn! I didn't know there was a #3 in the making, I was still waiting on the coffe table book she was collaberating on. I'll cruise by the library today and see if they have it. 
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:54:57 am »
Yup, I finished the story last nite. It's about the devastating winter of 1885 that killed millions of head of cows in the upper states of the Rocky Mountains. That Annie Proulx does always tackle the interesting topics...the Depression, homophobia, the death of the maritime industry, and now the development of the West, seen through the eyes of Archie and Rose, a homesteading couple. He's 16, she's 14. And as usual, Annie shows no mercy in telling the story.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:47 am »
Yup, I finished the story last nite. It's about the devastating winter of 1885 that killed millions of head of cows in the upper states of the Rocky Mountains. That Annie Proulx does always tackle the interesting topics...the Depression, homophobia, the death of the maritime industry, and now the development of the West, seen through the eyes of Archie and Rose, a homesteading couple. He's 16, she's 14. And as usual, Annie shows no mercy in telling the story.

That is what I like about her, she shows no mercy in her sotries and when you meet her she is just as calm as the Wyoming countryside betwixt gusts of wind.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:26:44 am »
I started to read the story last night but did not finish it. I did come across some elements that sounded familiar, though, like cowboys who don't wear socks and employers who take pleasure in telling someone that he had no work for that person.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 12:01:47 pm »
Thanks for posting this Jeff!  Let's get it on the banner while it's stil on the newsstand!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:28:10 pm »
It's about the devastating winter of 1885 that killed millions of head of cows in the upper states of the Rocky Mountains. ...  seen through the eyes of Archie and Rose, a homesteading couple.

Did they think they'd asphyxiate from the smell? Were they supposed to control the weather?

I haven't started it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:35 pm »
Did they think they'd asphyxiate from the smell? Were they supposed to control the weather?

Can't say, Katherine!! Those would be spoilers!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Oregondoggie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 04:16:12 pm »
That story about froze my soul.  Whew!  If the rest of the new book is like this yarn, we are in for it.  No escapin' to Mexico!

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:44:35 pm »
It's in the May 5 issue, which arrived in my mailbox yesterday. No details--haven't yet had time to read it--but it appears to be set in the "Old West" days of Wyoming.

It also appears that the story is from a new collection, Wyoming Stories 3, that will be out this year.

oh wow.  !!!
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."