Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain and peoples lives.  (Read 13913 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Brokeback Mountain and peoples lives.
« on: May 01, 2008, 03:49:47 pm »
This is something I have often wondered about. Do any of you think that some people are almost obsessed with BBM to the point where it is unhealthy? I mean there are people who have to disect every single scene/word and gesture in the film. Every single aspect of the film, what they did do, what they didn,t do is thoroughly disected. Also I remember reading a comment on LJ once(I think it was an author but don,t quote me on that) who, distraught over Jacks death, actually took an overdose of drink and pills!! I mean come on, how ridiculous is that? Yes it was a good movie but it was fiction, make beleive, a story, made up. No one actually died. To get so upset over a movie is just crazy. Hence the reason I ask about being obsessed. I mean I,ve read loads of fanfic about BBM, especially Louise,s work, Leslies and Loris. Lately however, although I,m still reading Louises story, I,m really trying to cut down on the amount of BBM fan fic I read,  because I do think that you can end up getting obsessed by it, and that isn,t healthy is it. What do you lot think?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Re: Brokeback Mountain and peoples lives.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 12:50:35 am »
This is something I have often wondered about. Do any of you think that some people are almost obsessed with BBM to the point where it is unhealthy? I mean there are people who have to disect every single scene/word and gesture in the film. Every single aspect of the film, what they did do, what they didn,t do is thoroughly disected. Also I remember reading a comment on LJ once(I think it was an author but don,t quote me on that) who, distraught over Jacks death, actually took an overdose of drink and pills!! I mean come on, how ridiculous is that? Yes it was a good movie but it was fiction, make beleive, a story, made up. No one actually died. To get so upset over a movie is just crazy. Hence the reason I ask about being obsessed. I mean I,ve read loads of fanfic about BBM, especially Louise,s work, Leslies and Loris. Lately however, although I,m still reading Louises story, I,m really trying to cut down on the amount of BBM fan fic I read,  because I do think that you can end up getting obsessed by it, and that isn,t healthy is it. What do you lot think?

I think that you have made a good point about obsession. My squeeze DL definitely agrees with you, he says that I am way too obsessed with the trivia of this film. Maybe there is something to his point, after all I did get so obsessed that I added up the months of Lureens pregnancy and the date that she met Jack and concluded that Bobby is not Jack's child. And the implications of all that.  :laugh: I guess that is getting obsessed.

But, on the other hand, doesn't the fact that Bobby is not Jack's child explain a great deal in the film?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:25:40 am »
I would answer your question in two parts.

I mean there are people who have to disect every single scene/word and gesture in the film. Every single aspect of the film, what they did do, what they didn,t do is thoroughly disected.

It's not unhealthy to thoroughly dissect and analyze the story as some people do (including myself). It's what many literature professors spend their entire careers doing. BBM -- both the story and film -- lends itself to very fine, intricate analysis.  The symbolism, metaphors, imagery, dialogue and narrative structure are incredibly complicated, meaningful and elegant. Two-plus years in, I still occasionally come across startling new insights.

Also I remember reading a comment on LJ once(I think it was an author but don,t quote me on that) who, distraught over Jacks death, actually took an overdose of drink and pills!

This is unhealthy.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 02:48:38 pm »

I've thought more about your question. I have to admit that I am truly obsessed over the film and the ss. No doubt of it. At first, I thought that my obsession was unhealthy, and among of all of my friends who are mostly my age who were also moved by the film, I am the one who is truly obsessed.

So, why the obsession? "Crayons" has hit on part of the reason many are very interested-to-obsessed over the film and ss. The film is a masterpiece, the ss is a masterpiece. And as time goes by, we notice among ourselves that we have an even stronger conviction that they are indeed masterpieces. In my case, I dabble in screenwriting and have published a couple of sci-fi short stories, so I am drawn to analyzing the craft of the author, the screenwriters and the director.

But, there is more to it than just a technical marvel and my admiration for it.

Perhaps because I am now a retired old fart with plenty of time on my hands, I am able to devote the energy and time to a detailed analysis. I truly am in awe of some of the folks on the this site, like "Kaiser", who are holding down full time careers and are still able to opine extensively. Had the Brokeback film been released 10 years ago, I would not have been able to become an obsessed brokie as I was still running the business and nothing could come before that.

Perhaps because so much of the story of Ennis and Jack relates to the my story of my love and frustrations with Chris. I see much of Ennis and Jack in both of us. Brokeback helped me heal the wounds that were inflicted and self inflicted after his death by guiding me to clarity. So, Brokeback is personal to me in a way that is difficult to relate, but I do try to relate the story with my limited powers.

Perhaps I remain obsessed because Brokeback allowed me to reconcile all of the "Ennis's and Jack's" in my life and in myself. In doing so I achieved a reconciliation with family members, former friends as well.  I have accepted that sometimes there are no definite answers to be found, life is just a muddle and you hang on to what you have and make it better. Today, I cherish what I have, I protect what I have, and am glad that I have been given the gift of a second love.

Brokeback then seems to center me when I watch the film or read the ss, I know that sounds strange, but it really works that way for me. So, maybe Brokeback allowed me to embrace "the muddle" that is the reality of human emotion, if only I had seen that wisdom 25 years ago. "too late we are so smart" 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:57:20 pm »
Souxi, if you say:
    fiction, make beleive, a story, made up. No one actually died.     

Souxi, then may I add likewise, plus like real stories as well as my own life:
BM movie and Annie's story is in some ways: is non-fiction, as some stories are real like that one; yes it's a story and so is every gay lives stories (and non-gays too); made up, or humans try to make their lives real and happy; and as to no-one-actually died: may we all wake up that anti-gay murders are many real ones and not needed, but do exist !!

What do you say to that or anyone ??

Au revoir,
hugs!!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 05:21:21 pm »
FYI: I'm not sure if this relates to the subject of this thread, but it was something I wanted to share and didn't seem to call for a separate thread.  If someone has a suggestion for a better thread, please let me know and I'll move it there.

The May 8th episode of Grey's Anatomy had a plotline about two gay soldiers, one of whom is about to undergo last-ditch-effort surgery for a brain tumor.  There's a "one last kiss" scene, shown in closeup, that's remarkably similar to the reunion kiss in Brokeback, and one poster in a discussion on the Joe.My.God blog wondered if that had been an influence. 

The scene, and its aftermath, was on a video that was removed from YouTube for some reason; but the video can still be viewed on the Joe.My.God blog. I strongly recommend it, though it might not be posted long -- I believe the videos on JMG aren't there indefinitely. If the kiss itself doesn't make you tear up, the accompanying music might.

IMO, if there's any homophobic flack, the underlying reason is that this scene, while it clearly shows physical passion between the two men, also contains a lot of anguish and tenderness.

Benny Ciaramello, David Giuntoli

EDITED TO ADD:  This video has already been taken down, but more stills can be viewed at http://televisionista.blogspot.com/2008/05/video-gay-kiss-on-greys-anatomy.html  The site has a video, which I can't make work but that might be my computer.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 11:51:49 am by Marge_Innavera »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:40:49 pm »
Cn't see that clip there neither, it seems.

Wonder why?

Can anyone find it ?

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 11:53:04 am »
It's already been taken down.  Another video and some stills can be viewed at http://televisionista.blogspot.com/2008/05/video-gay-kiss-on-greys-anatomy.html

Offline optom3

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 02:09:17 pm »
FYI: I'm not sure if this relates to the subject of this thread, but it was something I wanted to share and didn't seem to call for a separate thread.  If someone has a suggestion for a better thread, please let me know and I'll move it there.

The May 8th episode of Grey's Anatomy had a plotline about two gay soldiers, one of whom is about to undergo last-ditch-effort surgery for a brain tumor.  There's a "one last kiss" scene, shown in closeup, that's remarkably similar to the reunion kiss in Brokeback, and one poster in a discussion on the Joe.My.God blog wondered if that had been an influence. 

The scene, and its aftermath, was on a video that was removed from YouTube for some reason; but the video can still be viewed on the Joe.My.God blog. I strongly recommend it, though it might not be posted long -- I believe the videos on JMG aren't there indefinitely. If the kiss itself doesn't make you tear up, the accompanying music might.

IMO, if there's any homophobic flack, the underlying reason is that this scene, while it clearly shows physical passion between the two men, also contains a lot of anguish and tenderness.

Benny Ciaramello, David Giuntoli

EDITED TO ADD:  This video has already been taken down, but more stills can be viewed at http://televisionista.blogspot.com/2008/05/video-gay-kiss-on-greys-anatomy.html  The site has a video, which I can't make work but that might be my computer.

I agree, the reunion kiss all over again,even down to the hands,it was Jack  and Ennis just different scenario, but almost as poignant.Oh dear.it just starts the tears again

Offline optom3

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 02:23:14 pm »
I would answer your question in two parts.

It's not unhealthy to thoroughly dissect and analyze the story as some people do (including myself). It's what many literature professors spend their entire careers doing. BBM -- both the story and film -- lends itself to very fine, intricate analysis.  The symbolism, metaphors, imagery, dialogue and narrative structure are incredibly complicated, meaningful and elegant. Two-plus years in, I still occasionally come across startling new insights.

This is unhealthy.

I pretty well agree with you. Back in my student days before I went to uni. my schedule of A levels was so science orientated that I took on an extra one,that being English literature.I loved dissecting every nuance of books,almost as much as I loved dissecting,frogs etc.

The big difference here,is that I can analyse and dissect a film and story that truly resonates with me.It is like the best literature class I could imagine,with everyone loving the book and film,but also having so many diverse opinions.

Like all good discussions,this some times leads to a shift in opinion,or at least another point of view.No matter how much I liked English Literature,none of the books or plays,emoted such passion within me.
This then is to me the best of all worlds.
It could only be surpassed if I was actually being paid to analyse and critique,or at least gain some qualification from it.I jest here of course.

In addition I have had so much genuine help and advice for other things,that it has become so much more than just a BBM site for me.