Author Topic: TOTW 16/08: When did you fall in love with the characters?  (Read 8523 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Hi BetterMostians :)

Let me first say thank you for the wide participation on the Confetti Quiz last week. We managed  30 Questions and a few more answers, a discussion about jackalope/lamb heads which led to a reactivation of another Aguirre thread and we learned something about American versus European trucks! Not bad for one week :D!
The Confetti Quiz doesn't have to end today, play as long as you have fun with it.

Another point before we get to this week's topic: I wanted to encourage you once more to suggest topics for the TOTW. Also, if you have a question that could be combined with a poll, give it to me!  Polls can be launched in every forum, not only the Polling Place (thematically fitting to the respective forum of course).

This week, I used „falling in love“, although it's not exactly that, for lack of a better expression. It's obvious we care a lot about those fictional characters (heck we're still here, two+ years in). We feel for them, we (at least partly) identify with them.

Did it happen after your first viewing? Or after multiple viewings? Or did it take the discussions on the different boards, reading the SS, or whatever brought you more insight to the characters?

And how about the movie itself? Do you think it would still be on your mind if it weren't for the forum?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: TOTW 16/08: When did you fall in love with the characters?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 03:59:41 pm »
I think when they got out of their respective trucks, I was smitten.  ;)
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:01:38 pm »
When I first laid eyes on Jack's blue eyes. ...  ::)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 04:05:27 pm »
I think when they got out of their respective trucks, I was smitten.  ;)

Love your answer  :)

I just see Jeff's in preview: yours, too :)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 05:41:09 pm »
I fell in love first with them in the s.s, then all over again in the film.Both hit me very hard.In the ss i fell for Ennis in the prologue, and for Jack at the motel reunion.I was beyond all hope by the end of the reunion scene.
I avoided the film for a time as I had such a firm picture of Jack and Ennis in my head from the story.My husband noticing my rather obvious obsession,bought me the dvd.
Again I avoided it,The picture on the front of Jake and Heath was not as I had imagined ,Ennis and Jack.
One day literally having nothing much to do I finally sat down to watch the film.I fell in love with Jack as he was watching Ennis.in the truck wing mirror.I fell for Heath when he was in the office,and shyly glances at Jack.
The film was so powerful it completely eradicated the images I had of the 2 of them from reading the story.Which is unusual for me.Normally if I read abook first,then see the film I end up disappointed.Not in the case of BBM.I was completely hooked.
Having bored everyone to death about the book,I then proceeded to bore them all over again about the film.
 I had just about stopped crying over the s.s when I started all over again over the film.
 I lurked on several sites for ages,almost like feeding an addiction.Devouring every word written on both the film,actors,ss the whole lot.
I finally plucked up courage to post here,following Heath's (can't say it) Which of course started me sobbing all over again.
Have never looked back since.
To those who ridicule,I always ask them what difference there is,between discussing and writing about BBM and doing the same about some dire novel,you possibly do not even like,but are forced to examine for 2 years down to the minutiae for A level English.
Personally I would rather discuss something which I not only loved,but which quite literally changed my life and had such a deeply profound effect on me.

Offline Marina

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 08:00:55 pm »
Oh Gosh, I think at first sight!  When Ennis got out of the truck and shrugged on that jacket.  I fell in love with Ennis first, and my heart ached for his loneliness and his abandonment, and then Jack kinda grew on me, and it became all about Jack.  And of course, the scene out in front of Aguirre's trailer, with Jack getting out of his truck and draping himself against it, all in blue, with so much confidence and bravado, as compared to Ennis' shyness, hiding nervously under his hat and almost collapsing in on himself.  Both facades at the time for them.

Yes, I fell in love with this film at first viewing, and afterwards, I couldn't stop thinking about it, or talking about it.  I began to search for information on it online.  Very few films have affected me this way. 

I love this film and story so much, every little while I watch it again, and I see it from either Jack's or Ennis' point of view, whatever pov strikes me at the time.  :)
“Only within the moment of time represented by the present century has one species -- man -- acquired significant power to alter the nature of his world.”
~Rachel Carson~

~Looking back on it, they both realized it was the best thing they ever had.~  - A Mother's Love

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 08:39:03 pm »
Right away !!

Offline optom3

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 12:34:42 am »
I often wonder if I had seen the film 1st would I have fallen in love with both of them,at first sight.I will never know the answer to that.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 12:35:31 pm »
Merci optom !

I am surprised that you did NOT fall in love with BOTH !!

Why NOT BOTH   ??

May I be surprised by your answer already !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 03:52:50 pm »
Merci optom !

I am surprised that you did NOT fall in love with BOTH !!

Why NOT BOTH   ??

May I be surprised by your answer already !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

I did fall in love with them both in the film and s.s, but at different times.
In the ss I fell in love with Ennis first,in the prologue which is so heart wrenching.
In the film I think realistically I fell in love with them both when I first saw them.It is difficult though as to some extent, I was influenced by reading the book first.
Does that make sense?
I loved Jacks doe eyes in the wing mirror, and funnily enough I loved the gesture of Ennis pinching out his cigarette to save for later.It is always I think different when you read the book first as you have built up some pre conceived notions of the characters.
Suffice it to say I loved them both,and wish that both actors were still here.Hoe ironic that It is Jake/Jack who dies in the film.Yet in life it is the opposite.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:28:35 pm »
Merci optom !

Your post is very interesting !!

Everyone attaches herself or himself to different things, like ones you described as examples !!

As for if one is living and the other past away, I still consider both ALIVE !! Somehow, in many ways !!

And I truly desire an BM II too with both !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 11:13:15 am »
Merci optom !

Your post is very interesting !!

Everyone attaches herself or himself to different things, like ones you described as examples !!

As for if one is living and the other past away, I still consider both ALIVE !! Somehow, in many ways !!

And I truly desire an BM II too with both !!
Au revoir,
hugs!

Yes,Artiste,you're very right¡ Also for me,somehow,both of them are alive;Jake in our world,Heath in another world or another plane where I'm sure we'll find him someday...And of course,bearing in mind that he will live forever in our minds and souls by means of his work and the love he has left here and the one he has taken with him. :-\ :'(
As for the question,I remembered having fallen in love with Jack at the beginning of their stay on the mountain,when he's looking for Ennis when this has had the bear's incident.For Ennis,much later,and for the movie,immediately.I think,doubtless,that I'd keep on thinking about it with or without the forum; never before a movie had had such a great impact on me,not only as a masterpiece,but emotionally.And the forums I write on have served to "canalise" these emotions,making me feel better as I'm sharing them with a lot of persons more and knowing I'm not crazy...Well,yes,I'm crazy,of course; I'm crazy about BBM,Jack/Jake,Heath/Ennis,all the persons who have made it possible and for all the Brokies who share with me this madness... :)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 04:42:18 am »
I couldn't believe it...fell in love at the first blink...I was on another site reading about many reviews of the movie since 2005 and the first half loved the entire picture...the second half said they were bored by it, the accents were atrocious, and the love scenes were contrived...where are these people from..Mars?  Nagsheadsea

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 06:14:30 am »
I couldn't believe it...fell in love at the first blink...I was on another site reading about many reviews of the movie since 2005 and the first half loved the entire picture...the second half said they were bored by it, the accents were atrocious, and the love scenes were contrived...where are these people from..Mars?  Nagsheadsea

Hey Nagsheadsea,

thanks for adding your two cents. And welcome to BetterMost! :)
Pull up a log, stick your boot into the fire and sit with us around the campfire. Looking forward to hear more from you.

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 01:59:34 pm »
When I saw the movie I'd never heard of the short story and generally, I'd say I fell in love at first viewing (or first blink!  :)  ) too -- but for some reason I'd missed a lot in the first viewing.  The real obsession came when I saw it for the second time, a few weeks later.

Both those theatres are now part of my personal history, needless to say.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
When I saw the movie I'd never heard of the short story and generally, I'd say I fell in love at first viewing (or first blink!  :)  ) too -- but for some reason I'd missed a lot in the first viewing. 

I fell in love/missed a lot on first viewing, too. The theater I went to had bad sound, and I missed a lot of dialogue. Nevertheless, I went back to see it two or three days later.

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 05:39:25 pm »
I think I fell in love with Jack first...especially his slow approach towards Ennis outside the trailer...a tentative walk...then backs off...turns and virtually sprawls his body over the truck....sex on wheels?  blew me away.....

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 07:08:10 pm »
Welcome to BetterMost, nagsheadsea412! Did you just see the movie recently? Tell us more! You've found the right place to talk about Brokeback Mountain!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline nagsheadsea412

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 08:42:49 pm »
Yes, Front Ranger, I missed the whole show in 2005/  In October 2008, I was watching tv one night and it was in the middle of BBM - captivated me- had never even known Heath and Jake as actors...the next day I bounded out and rented it...soon after bought the dvd....and became hooked, lined and sank (or whatever the adage is)  Have always loved cowboys and westerns.... the gruffness, the harshness of landscapes, hidden faces under the hats...and this added quality of love was quite a bonified thrill....

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2008, 01:26:13 pm »
I think I fell in love with Jack first...especially his slow approach towards Ennis outside the trailer...a tentative walk...then backs off...turns and virtually sprawls his body over the truck....sex on wheels?  blew me away.....

Blows me away, just reading your description of it!  ;)

Welcome to BetterMost, nagsheadsea!

I don't know if I can pick a single moment, and it's hard to remember so many viewings later.  I was pretty clueless about the early chemistry at my first viewing...I think it was when Jack reached out to Ennis with the wet bandanna, after he'd been come up on the bear, that my heart settled on what was going on there.

Of course, in future viewings their attraction (and by extension my own 'falling in love') became even more obvious to me earlier and earlier.  It's lovely and subtle.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."