Author Topic: Barack Obama vs. John McCain  (Read 58731 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Re: Barack Obama vs. John McCain
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2008, 11:13:10 am »
:) :-*  You and I should run, David.  :P ;D

J/K !!!!

This is such an interesting thread for me to read, as an Australian.

The media here in Australia is full of the forthcoming election.

I read a distressing article recently that hypothesized about the possibility (probability?) of Obama being a potential assassination target, if elected.

Is this so? Would he be more at risk than, say, Clinton or McCain?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2008, 08:56:18 pm »
There were allegations of plans for an attempt to assassinate President Bush, SR.  There was one, of course--almost successful, on Ronald Reagan. And an attempt on Gerald Ford. As of late--it seems to be more dangerous to be a Republican. With Barack Obama being African American, he probably has had threats from some radical organization -- the KKK is, unfortunately, alive and well in the U.S. I haven't heard or read anything about that Kerry, but any American president is a target for crazies. I hope we never have another one like President Kennedy's. All of the candidates should have VERY tight security, IMO. I think security must be excellent because as many Bush haters as there are, I'm sure he has been in danger at some time or another.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2008, 07:03:58 pm »
There were allegations of plans for an attempt to assassinate President Bush, SR.  There was one, of course--almost successful, on Ronald Reagan. And an attempt on Gerald Ford. As of late--it seems to be more dangerous to be a Republican. With Barack Obama being African American, he probably has had threats from some radical organization -- the KKK is, unfortunately, alive and well in the U.S. I haven't heard or read anything about that Kerry, but any American president is a target for crazies. I hope we never have another one like President Kennedy's. All of the candidates should have VERY tight security, IMO. I think security must be excellent because as many Bush haters as there are, I'm sure he has been in danger at some time or another.

I think I remember hearing something about it Kerry and Shasta. I remember hearing Barack Obama had to get much more security because of death threats. I don't remember whether it was CNN, MSNBC or my local news that reported it. But I DO remember hearing it. And now that he is only 11 delegates away from the nomination, and it looks like he will be the Democratic nominee, he will probably need even more protection.

It's a shame we live in such a violent world. And I agree with you Shasta. I'm sure President Bush has been in close proximity to danger many times, both here in the US and abroad. Didn't they find an unexploded grenade on the ground during a speech he was giving in Georgia (the country)? And Georgia is a fairly pro American country too.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2008, 11:38:34 pm »
:) :-*  You and I should run, David.  :P ;D

J/K !!!!

Well If I could vote here, you would have my vote for the voice of reason!!!!!!
 I guess as a non U.S citizen it is still all a bit confusing to me. I will say that Florida is very right wing.Some of the things I have heard on the radio and from people we know ,have just made my toes curl. It seems very homophobic,anti feminist,etc. My oldest son has come back from school saying some things that have had him grounded by me.
These same peole who say such defamatory things, about all sorts of people are then at church on Sunday.Yet they cannot see the irony of that,are we not told to love our neighbour as ourselves. Honestly I give up,but my oldest knows it will not be tolerated under my roof.The more moderate people here seem to be from out of state.
I guess  have just been shocked by people, who I thought were like me ,say things that I would not even think, let alone say.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:43 pm »
Well If I could vote here, you would have my vote for the voice of reason!!!!!!
 I guess as a non U.S citizen it is still all a bit confusing to me. I will say that Florida is very right wing.Some of the things I have heard on the radio and from people we know ,have just made my toes curl. It seems very homophobic,anti feminist,etc. My oldest son has come back from school saying some things that have had him grounded by me.
These same peole who say such defamatory things, about all sorts of people are then at church on Sunday.Yet they cannot see the irony of that,are we not told to love our neighbour as ourselves. Honestly I give up,but my oldest knows it will not be tolerated under my roof.The more moderate people here seem to be from out of state.
I guess  have just been shocked by people, who I thought were like me ,say things that I would not even think, let alone say.

Indiana, where I live is also very right wing, religious and conservative Fiona! It can be horrible here for a gay man. I'd leave immediately if it wasn't for my Dad. He's ill and I have to stay here. It really isn't TOO bad in Indianapolis, but once you leave the city the homophobia and racism becomes almost unbearable. The KKK is also still very strong here. They really don't do too much anymore, except for their little protests on the steps of the state capitol once or twice a year. But they are here, none the less. :(

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2008, 11:59:53 pm »
LOL, Optom3 -- if you voted for David and me, you'd have two softies in the White House. I don't think either of us is mean enough to do the job.  ;D And the place would be overrun with dogs and kittens. But thanks for the vote of confidence.  ;)

I have listened to all three senators speeches tonight. Really -- Hillary had the best speech. Hers was sort of supposed to be a concession, but, as the newsmen said, she seemed to be taking a victory lap. Isn't she another case of more popular votes/fewer delegates?

Mack's was pretty straightforward, but too laid back and unexciting. The setting/audience added to the snorefest.

Obama's was a fantastic bit of rhetoric full of word pictures and metaphors, but not too much substance.

Now the big deal on the news circuit -- will Obama ask Clinton to be the veep. May be, but I just don't see them getting along. I think they'd be a shoo-in if it happens, tho. If not -- there will probably be a battle hard fought.

They did draw the parallel of Kennedy and Johnson being running mates even tho there was no love lost between them and their staffs.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2008, 12:13:37 am »
LOL, Optom3 -- if you voted for David and me, you'd have two softies in the White House. I don't think either of us is mean enough to do the job.  ;D And the place would be overrun with dogs and kittens. But thanks for the vote of confidence.  ;)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Boy, isn't THAT the truth!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2008, 09:35:52 am »
  ;D And the place would be overrun with dogs and kittens.

What a lovely thought.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2008, 01:04:19 am »
no ponies??

:'( :'(

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2008, 01:09:06 am »
Here's a random thought, probly worthy of its own thread.

From a political/governing POV:

We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."