Author Topic: Barack Obama vs. John McCain  (Read 58737 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Barack Obama vs. John McCain
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 12:21:45 pm »
Still don't know who talked about 'stupid states'. Was it the media? And if so, why should that matter? Why "will and should affect votes." Who's it going to hurt? The Dems. Sounds to me like it's the Republican Media that's likely responsible for the comment & they are the ones that should be taken to task for the comment. Like any Rush pronoucement, it's a comment that needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I can't vote as I am here on a Visa.
It strikes me that much as in the next election in England,you will end up having the pick of a bad bunch.It always scares me when you wind up voting for the least " bad" candidate,rather than a good one.
It is a bit like, who will damage the country,its economy, etc least.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 12:51:11 pm »
I can't vote as I am here on a Visa.
It strikes me that much as in the next election in England,you will end up having the pick of a bad bunch.It always scares me when you wind up voting for the least " bad" candidate,rather than a good one.
It is a bit like, who will damage the country,its economy, etc least.

Unfortunately that is usually the case. You have to vote for the least "bad" candidate or just not bother to vote. Although many would disagree with me the only candidate that has run in my lifetime who I would refer to as a "good" candidate was Bill Clinton. The others have been all about who is worse. I am always thinking "could they not have found someone better to run for president out of all the people in the United States than these people?" As I have said before I am in no way in love with Hillary. I just find her to be the least scary and possibly a much better president than these other two. However, the media and the Democrats chose to destroy her from the beginning. My choice this year appears to be either to not vote or vote for McCain. I would not vote for Obama if I were dead. He is by far the scariest candidate that has ever run during my lifetime. Voting for McCain would only be a vote against Obama and it may be worth it. I sure am not for the war and that is my real problem with McCain. However, I hate to even think what would happen if Obama did get elected. I seriously doubt that will happen, but if it did........yeah that is SCARY!!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 01:06:03 pm »

I don't understand what you find so 'scary' about Obama.

My reaction is exactly the reverse of yours.  While I don't think McCain is the scariest candidate to ever run... I think he's significantly more scary than Obama.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 01:23:21 pm »
Yes, Jack.  I am interested too in what you find scary about Obama.  So far, I find him energetic and intelligent, which is a refreshing change of pace from the status quo.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:14 pm »
Can't speak for Jack (I read back, and he gives reasons for feeling that way about Senator Obama, tho.), but I think a lot of people feel like America is at a crisis point in several ways, and maybe Senator Obama's lack of experience at running a city, state, much less a country -- is a little scary.

IMO--he seems to be disdainful toward patriotism. I really like patriots.

He also seems pretty full of himself, but that can be said for most politicians. I don't see a lot of humility--could have missed that. Haven't watched the campaigns much lately.

I checked Snopes for the downlow on the quotes from his book that are pretty racist-sounding, and it says that they are still investigating. So I don't know about that yet.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 09:30:41 pm »
Is Iran a threat or not?   ???

I've seen the video with McCain contradictions. Obama said on May 18 that Iran is not a serious threat; then, today he said Iran is a grave threat. Looks as if he has some contradictions too.

Senator Clinton won Kentucky big today -- should she stay in the fight? Did it help her much (in the long run)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 09:49:07 pm »

My question for Jack, or any Hillary supporter/ Democrat is why McCain would be more appealing than Obama.  Hillary and Obama's platforms are much, much closer together than either one of them is to McCain.  As a Hillary supporter, I'm definitely going to vote for Obama in the general election if he's the nominee.

My biggest concern about Obama is how well he'll do in the general election.  I truly believe Hillary would be more competitive against McCain, especially looking at the states she's won vs. the states that Obama's won.

To me the biggest goal of the general election is to prevent another Republican administration from taking office (especially one that seems so comfortable adopting policies and stances that are similar in some cases to the Bush policies).

I'm worried about things like more conservative judges being nominated for the Supreme court.  Basically all the social issues that I care most deeply about are much more in line with both Obama and Hillary than McCain.

I don't understand questioning Obama's patriotism either.  He's running for president.  How much more patriotic can one be? 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:51 pm »
I don't understand questioning Obama's patriotism either.  He's running for president.  How much more patriotic can one be?  

...Obama should be ready to face the political reality that accompanies some controversial choices.

They include his decision to stay in a church whose pastor blamed America for the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001; and his association, however tenuous, with a Vietnam-era radical named William Ayers.

From the Boston Globe

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/04/20/obamas_patriotism/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 10:12:30 pm »

I know -- this happened a while back:

On Monday, Michelle Obama told an audience in Milwaukee, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country. Not just because Barack is doing well, but I think people are hungry for change."

Days later, McCain's wife, Cindy, responded: "I have, and always will be, proud of my country."

Barack Obama has expressed frustration that his wife's remarks had been taken out of context and turned into political fodder — both the Obamas say she was talking about politics in the United States, not the country itself

Isn't that the way they spin these things? They are always "taken out of context".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 10:15:05 pm »
My question for Jack, or any Hillary supporter/ Democrat is why McCain would be more appealing than Obama.  Hillary and Obama's platforms are much, much closer together than either one of them is to McCain.  As a Hillary supporter, I'm definitely going to vote for Obama in the general election if he's the nominee.

My biggest concern about Obama is how well he'll do in the general election.  I truly believe Hillary would be more competitive against McCain, especially looking at the states she's won vs. the states that Obama's won.

To me the biggest goal of the general election is to prevent another Republican administration from taking office (especially one that seems so comfortable adopting policies and stances that are similar in some cases to the Bush policies).

I'm worried about things like more conservative judges being nominated for the Supreme court.  Basically all the social issues that I care most deeply about are much more in line with both Obama and Hillary than McCain.

I don't understand questioning Obama's patriotism either.  He's running for president.  How much more patriotic can one be?

Well put, Amanda.  I've read a few things that call his patriotism into question - and I have no idea if they're fact or fiction - like he will not wear a US Flag pin on his lapel and does not salute with a hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegience.

Even if these two things ARE true (and I tend to think that's a big IF), I think people need to differentiate between true patriotism and outward displays of patriotism.   For instance, I think reciting the Pledge of Allegience should be optional.  There are plenty of people who think this is not patriotic, but I am of the opinion that true patriotism includes an obligation to question our leaders and not support the government blindly.

If there is any good that has come out of the Iraq wars, it is that people who oppose the wars have learned to separate the solidier from the war.  We can support our troops, who are doing their jobs and serving their country, and still oppose the war.  The soldiers who served in the Vietnam 'conflict' were not afforded this courtesy.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."