Author Topic: Thermometer of Love  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Thermometer of Love
« on: May 09, 2008, 12:05:58 am »
The Thermometer of Love

You can’t precisely measure love, but you can’t deny that it comes in different temperatures: cool, hot and scalding.

Three decades ago, psychologist Elaine Hatfield and sociologist Susan Sprecher devised the Passionate Love Scale, which remains in wide use today.

Think of the person you love passionately now or someone you felt that way about in the past. Base your answer on when your feelings were most intense.

Here’s how it works: For each of the 15 sentences below, chose a number from 1 (not at all true) through 5 (moderately true) to 9 (definitely true) that most accurately describes your feelings toward the person you love. Choose any number from 1-9.

Add up your total. Your score can range from a minimum of 15 to a maximum of 135. The higher your score, the more your feelings reflect passionate love; the items for which you picked a particularly high number indicate the components of passionate love you experience most.

Here are the 15 sentences. To respond, go to the next post for the easy-copy, stand-alone template and choose the “Quote” option to respond from there.

1. I would feel deep despair if …… left me.

2. Sometimes I feel I can’t control my thoughts; they are obsessively about ……

3. I feel happy when I am doing something to make …… happy.

4. I would rather be with …… than anyone else.

5. I’d be jealous if I thought …… was falling in love with someone else.

6. I yearn to know all about ……

7. I want …… physically, emotionally, mentally.

8. I have an endless appetite for affection from ……

9. For me, …… is the perfect romantic partner.

10. I sense my body responding when …… touches me.

11. …… always seems to be on my mind.

12. I want …… to know me – my thoughts, fears and hopes.

13. I eagerly look for signs indicating ……’s desire for me.

14. I possess a powerful attraction for ……

15. I get extremely depressed when things don’t go right in my relationship with ……

Source – Time Inc.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Thermometer of Love
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 12:07:05 am »
Respond via “Quote” from this template:

1. I would feel deep despair if …… left me.

2. Sometimes I feel I can’t control my thoughts; they are obsessively about ……

3. I feel happy when I am doing something to make …… happy.

4. I would rather be with …… than anyone else.

5. I’d be jealous if I thought …… was falling in love with someone else.

6. I yearn to know all about ……

7. I want …… physically, emotionally, mentally.

8. I have an endless appetite for affection from ……

9. For me, …… is the perfect romantic partner.

10. I sense my body responding when …… touches me.

11. …… always seems to be on my mind.

12. I want …… to know me – my thoughts, fears and hopes.

13. I eagerly look for signs indicating ……’s desire for me.

14. I possess a powerful attraction for ……

15. I get extremely depressed when things don’t go right in my relationship with ……

My score out of 135 = …….   (The higher your score, the more your feelings reflect passionate love; the items for which you picked a particularly high number indicate the components of passionate love you experience most.)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:09:39 am »
Here are my responses. They relate to someone from my past, at the height of our passion. I fell in love with him at first sight. It was a very Romeo & Juliet, across a crowded room moment, when we first met. We were in our 20s and our relationship was passionate and intense, which is represented in my scores.

1. I would feel deep despair if …… left me.  9

2. Sometimes I feel I can’t control my thoughts; they are obsessively about …… 9

3. I feel happy when I am doing something to make …… happy.  9

4. I would rather be with …… than anyone else.  9

5. I’d be jealous if I thought …… was falling in love with someone else. 9

6. I yearn to know all about ……  9

7. I want …… physically, emotionally, mentally. 9

8. I have an endless appetite for affection from ……  9

9. For me, …… is the perfect romantic partner.  9

10. I sense my body responding when …… touches me.  9

11. …… always seems to be on my mind.  9

12. I want …… to know me – my thoughts, fears and hopes.  9

13. I eagerly look for signs indicating ……’s desire for me.  9

14. I possess a powerful attraction for …… 9

15. I get extremely depressed when things don’t go right in my relationship with ……  5

My score out of 135 = 131   (The higher your score, the more your feelings reflect passionate love; the items for which you picked a particularly high number indicate the components of passionate love you experience most.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:55:14 am by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:14:41 am »
Respond via “Quote” from this template:

1. I would feel deep despair if …… left me. 9

2. Sometimes I feel I can’t control my thoughts; they are obsessively about …… 5

come on...it has been 25 years!!

3. I feel happy when I am doing something to make …… happy. 9

4. I would rather be with …… than anyone else. 9

5. I’d be jealous if I thought …… was falling in love with someone else. 9; jealous? enraged!!

6. I yearn to know all about …… 1; pfft! like I said...after 25 years I know ALL I need to know...

7. I want …… physically, emotionally, mentally. 9

8. I have an endless appetite for affection from …… 8

9. For me, …… is the perfect romantic partner. 7; I dan't deal with the GI Joes...

10. I sense my body responding when …… touches me. hello!! I am getting scared where this is going!! 7

11. …… always seems to be on my mind. 4; I got a life...kinda!

12. I want …… to know me – my thoughts, fears and hopes. 6; oh heck no!!  :laugh: :laugh:

13. I eagerly look for signs indicating ……’s desire for me. LOL!! 4; pffft! Hey, he knows where to find me if he needs/wants something...

14. I possess a powerful attraction for …… 9

15. I get extremely depressed when things don’t go right in my relationship with …… 9

My score out of 135 = 103…….   (The higher your score, the more your feelings reflect passionate love; the items for which you picked a particularly high number indicate the components of passionate love you experience most.)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:28:22 am »

Wow! :o  After 25 years, your Thermometer of Love  still rates at a very healthy 103 outa 135, Jess!  Congratulations! :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 12:44:11 am »
Wow! :o  After 25 years, your Thermometer of Love  still rates at a very healthy 103 outa 135, Jess!  Congratulations! :D

it's all that time a his ahorseback that makes it so good.... 8) 8)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:58:33 am »

it's all that time a his ahorseback that makes it so good.... 8) 8)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sigh . . .

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:08:23 am »
yep,

:-\

you ever ride, Kerry??

it IS true....the hips get a workout if you ride correctly....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 01:46:24 am »
yep,

:-\

you ever ride, Kerry??

it IS true....the hips get a workout if you ride correctly....

I took riding lessons many years ago and enjoyed it. UNTIL . . . . A group of us were out trail riding one day. I was the last in line. It was quite a dense trail with lots of foliage on either side and many twists and turns. Suddenly, my horse took off at enormous speed. I couldn't stop him and did all the WRONG things that I'd been taught NOT to do, in an endeavour to stay onboard - stood up in the stirrups to try to stop the violently jarring bumping in the saddle and pulled vigorously on the reins. When he caught-up with the other horses, he stopped in his own good time, not because of anything I had tried to do to stop him. The owner of the horses explained that he had panicked when he lost sight of the horses in front. All I could think was - Thank god I didn't hit a low-hanging branch at the speed I was traveling. I continued for the remainder of the trail ride that day but decided against any further horse riding after that.  ::)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 07:48:18 am »
I took riding lessons many years ago and enjoyed it. UNTIL . . . . A group of us were out trail riding one day. I was the last in line. It was quite a dense trail with lots of foliage on either side and many twists and turns. Suddenly, my horse took off at enormous speed. I couldn't stop him and did all the WRONG things that I'd been taught NOT to do, in an endeavour to stay onboard - stood up in the stirrups to try to stop the violently jarring bumping in the saddle and pulled vigorously on the reins. When he caught-up with the other horses, he stopped in his own good time, not because of anything I had tried to do to stop him. The owner of the horses explained that he had panicked when he lost sight of the horses in front. All I could think was - Thank god I didn't hit a low-hanging branch at the speed I was traveling. I continued for the remainder of the trail ride that day but decided against any further horse riding after that.  ::)

ouch...yeah that would put a person off it. That is the problem with those places that have the day after day trail rides...the horses are trained to follow the horse in front of them and never get ridden seperately...ruins them (IMO)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 10:35:43 am »
I have difficulties with those questions.

I wonder why ?