Author Topic: What is your favorite meal of the day?  (Read 14483 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What is your favorite meal of the day?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 03:14:19 pm »
I'm sitting in my office laughing and people in the hall are glancing at me... suspicious, like they know (lol, sorry, couldn't resist).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Speaking of great Brokieisms!

So I had to leave my house for a few hours this morning, so I went out ... to breakfast! At The Original Pancake House. As usual, I had a really hard time narrowing down my selection because I pretty much could have eaten anything on the menu, if not everything on the menu.

What I finally chose was:

The Farmer's Scramble -- four (!!) eggs, scrambled with spinach, tomatoes, onions and mushrooms.
Whole-wheat toast.
A side of wheat-germ pancakes.
Fresh-squeezed OJ.
Coffee.

And I was sad that I couldn't also get hash browns! I chose the healthy-sounding Farmer's Scramble (forgoing the somewhat tastier veggie-and-cheese omelette) because I'm trying to eat healthy in hopes of losing weight. But with four eggs, plus the side of pancakes (which, despite the wheat germ, were still mostly white-flour), I probably consumed about a whole day's worth of calories anyway

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 03:48:02 pm »

Sounds like a great breakfast!  Yeah, I bet the hash-browns would have been too much food.  And, I like the sound of the balance between the savory egg dish and the sweet pancakes.

That's often my biggest dilemma... deciding if I want sweet or savory.  Often at restaurants (I mean fancy-ish restaurants) I notice that sweet breakfasts (like pancakes) sometimes just come alone without many side options.  That can be frustrating.  Diner type restaurants are great because they seem to offer combos with sweet and savory more often. 

I'm also jealous of the fresh squeezed OJ!  I love fresh squeezed juice!  It can be almost like a different food from packaged juice.

Now I want breakfast for dinner.  :P

But, alas, last night I cooked a mammoth pot of chilli - meant to last several dasy - so it's chilli for me tonight.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 04:09:03 pm »
That's often my biggest dilemma... deciding if I want sweet or savory.  Often at restaurants (I mean fancy-ish restaurants) I notice that sweet breakfasts (like pancakes) sometimes just come alone without many side options.  That can be frustrating.  Diner type restaurants are great because they seem to offer combos with sweet and savory more often.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about this. I usually want a little bit of each. But then JUST eggs and pancakes never seems quite right, either -- there's too much contrast between the savory and sweet, and I need the buffer of the more neutral potatoes or toast. Oh, the challenges of being a breakfast-lover!  :laugh:

When I visited my brother in Denver and went out to breakfast at this great breakfast place near his home (Lee, if you're reading, you may know it -- I think it's name has "sky" in the title and it doubles as a yoga studio), it was perfect. I ordered an egg thing. And he ordered blueberry pancakes, which also sounded really good. But then he didn't finish them -- so I ate most of those, too!

I guess now you're all probably figuring out why I'm trying to lose a few pounds.  ::)

I'm also jealous of the fresh squeezed OJ!  I love fresh squeezed juice!  It can be almost like a different food from packaged juice.

I love fresh-squeezed OJ, too. But here's a shortcut tip -- I've found that you can come pretty close at home by squeezing a few oranges and mixing their juice in with a batch of frozen OJ. It makes the whole thing taste pretty close to fresh.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 05:30:23 pm »
I also have found a restaurant that makes really good oatmeal, it's hard to decribe, each little piece of oatmeal is fully cooked, yet still somehow its own individual bit, feels very healthy.  The healthy oatmeal, with four pieces of bacon - that's a breakfast.

A couple months ago I ordered baked oatmeal at a great little restaurant famous for its breakfasts - it had chunks of apple and cranberries in it, but Im sure it wasn't at all healthy -  it tasted like a big, warm, soft oatmeal cookie, with crispy edges  :)

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about this. I usually want a little bit of each. But then JUST eggs and pancakes never seems quite right, either -- there's too much contrast between the savory and sweet, and I need the buffer of the more neutral potatoes or toast. Oh, the challenges of being a breakfast-lover!  :laugh:

Yes!  Sweet and savory with a "buffer" - that's a perfect description for my idea of a perfect breakfast!

Now I want breakfast for dinner.  :P

But, alas, last night I cooked a mammoth pot of chilli - meant to last several dasy - so it's chilli for me tonight.

Amanda, maybe you can freeze it?  I almost always have left-over chili and I almost always freeze it. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 05:53:26 pm »
My favourite snack in the States are pretzels, you guys are SO lucky, the only ones we get are the dry card board packet stuff.  Your fried chicken is the best too.  ;)