Author Topic: A Question about steering wheels  (Read 3030 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
A Question about steering wheels
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:59:10 pm »
This doesn't really belong in the Polling Place forum, but oh well....  ;)

Does anyone know why steering wheels are on the left hand side of the car in some countries, and over on the right side of the car in other countries?

Why? What happened?

Didn't the old antique cars here in the US used to have the steering wheels over on the right side? I'm talking about the REALLY old cars, like the early model Ts. So, we were the ones who did it, weren't we? Why did we decide to move the steering wheel to the left? Just to be different?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: A Question about steering wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:14:22 am »
Ten people have peeked at this thread thus far, but nobody has provided an answer! Maybe the "guests" were looking!

I sit around all day long thinking up all different kinds of questions and wonderments. But I rarely post them. :laugh:  I really don't know why I did it tonight, but it IS something I've wondered about.

It's a mystery, isn't it?

I think they are just messing with our minds....it is a VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY!!

or the aliens...

one or the other...

injest

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 12:36:18 am »
maybe it was some of them UNFRIENDLY aliens...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 02:34:46 am »
Here's a pic of THE first car in the world. By Carl Benz. It's steering "wheel" is in the middle:

To me it looks like the steering wheel of the car you posted is also in the middle, not on the right side. One day the inventors had the idea that it's more practical to have the steering wheel on the opposite site you are driving. Countries driving right have the steering wheel left and vice versa.

Cars were for the rich and famous only at first. That's why you see many vintage cars with the steering wheel on the right side. They're English cars.