Author Topic: Horse Racing? Cruelty to Animals?  (Read 5824 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Horse Racing? Cruelty to Animals?
« on: May 18, 2008, 04:07:12 am »
The Preakness was held today in the state of Maryland. A horse named Big Brown (I think that was his name) was the winner. In an interview after the race, the jockey said (I'm paraphrasing) "He didn't even feel the sting of the whip today, because he didn't need it".

Sting of the whip?  >:(  >:(  :'(

Just a couple of weeks ago, some of us witnessed a horse being euthanized ON THE TRACK because of a tragic accident during the Kentucky Derby when the animal broke not one, but BOTH ankles during the race.

So I ask the question. Do you think horse racing is cruel?

I do.  :'( :'(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

Re: Horse Racing? Cruelty to Animals?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:44:54 am »
hmm. I think that originally it was ok but the way they are breeding and handling the horses now, something needs to be done.

You would hope the market would correct it. If enough people stopped going and betting they would change things.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 11:00:19 am »
A lot of it is, still, I think !!

That is why that I do NOT go anymore to the races !!

Now, dogs races or fights rather, seem to be popular for cruelty ?

Unfortunately !

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:38:47 pm »
There was no 'other' option in this poll so I didn't vote.

I do not think horse-racing is cruel.  It's a sport developed to take advantage of the natural inclination of horses to run in herds - that is what they're designed to do - and breeding has made horses that are good for long distance running - thoroughbred types - and explosive sprinting - quarter horse types.

I do not think that quirting in the way jockeys currently use them in the U.S. is cruel.  In the Preakness, yes, the horse was probably so pumped full of adrenalin that it hardly felt the quirt.  If you watch, jockeys don't often quirt their horses until it's absolutely necessary to get them to react.  You do it too often, the horses get used to it and no longer react.  It's used to get the horse to react.  I remember reading about one famous race - final leg of the Triple Crown, forgot what year - between Alydar and Affirmed.   These two horses were well-matched and always slugged it out neck and neck throughout every race they were in together.  Affirmed had won two of the three races of the Crown.  In the Belmont, the jockeys were quirting them during the final stretch, but Alydar finally got a nose ahead.  The jockey on Affirmed, who had been quirting him right-handed, switched to left-handed.  And it worked.  Affirmed was not used to getting quirted left-handed and reacted by pushing that much harder and won the race.

Quirting can range from a stinging sensation to real pain but remember a thoroughbred horse can weigh up to half a ton.  A 90lb little man quirting him in the final stretch of a race is unlikely to do anything more than irritate him.

But what I think is cruel, is racing these horses so young.  They should wait until the horse is at least 5 years old before racing him, the same with quarter horses, so that their leg bones get stronger and their muscles more developed and they're mature.

However, horse-racing has always been the realm of rich people because raising horses is extremely expensive.  They're animals that do not give anything to humans and require tons of food and a lot of health care.  In the U.S. we don't eat them, they do not give milk or fur and most importantly we no longer use them for draft purposes, so there is no real reason to raise them anymore.  However we do use them in sport and the quicker they earn their keep, the better.  Hence the trend to race them younger and younger, so their owners can get a return on their invested capital sooner.

Any time animals become a commodity, cruelty becomes involved when people care more about their money than the animal.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:28:03 pm by delalluvia »

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 01:13:02 pm »
So, it depemds on  their owners who are helpful or curel ??

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 01:58:16 pm »

It always depends on the people involved.  That's why it's up to people to push for laws to make the owners only race 5 year olds.  If that becomes the case, many owners will be unable to maintain the large stables that they do, the numbers involved in racing will drop.

However, this will directly impact the tax revenues for those states with legalized horse-racing and large tracks and therefore many areas will be uninclined to do this.

injest

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 01:58:26 pm »

yes

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 04:23:30 pm »
I voted "other" as I have nothing against either horse racing or dog racing per se.  Delalluvia pointed out that horse racing is an extension of a horse's natural instinct and greyhound racing is as well -- greyhounds will race each other in play whether they've had any racing training or not; it's nature's way of developing and maintaining hunting skills.

But in both areas of racing, animals are treated as commodities and there, as in other aspects of contemporary life, short-term gain and short-term thinking trumps everything.  In both cases, animals are being bred for specific short-term characteristics with only one thing in mind: winning races consistently in a comparatively short career so the owner can profit from breeding.  And far too many animals are being bred.

The industries aren't going to change unless a lot of citizen pressure is put on them. But in dog racing at least, there don't seem to be any well-organized groups who are willing to work with people in the industry who do care about the animals -- and there are many -- to get better regulation.  They seem to be limited to groups like PETA, who simply want racing to go away altogether.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 10:25:47 pm »
Is cock fighting worst, since they fight till death, I think ??

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 10:55:44 pm »
Cock- and dog-fighting are cruel and should be outlawed and the perpetrators should be pursued and punished to the full extent of the law.