Author Topic: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer  (Read 44269 times)

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: TOTW 18/08: The lines from the trailer
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2008, 03:35:53 pm »
Great posts! I will save this page and go back to it now and again to keep my 'old habits' at bay.
BbM, I swear

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2008, 08:07:45 pm »
"There are places we can't return"

When I was re-reading the SS, I noticed two references that I'd skimmed over before...
At the time of their last trip together, Ennis isn't living in Riverton, he's "...in Signal where he was working now for Stoutamire's cow and calf outfit"
and also, "...Ennis was ready to head back to Signal, Jack up to Lightning Flat"

In the movie, he's living, or at least getting his mail, in Riverton at the time of Jack's death. And his trailer is outside of Riverton.

Why the change in the movie from the story do you think?

And why did Annie have him go back, at some point after the divorce, to where he'd met Jack?
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »
"There are places we can't return"

When I was re-reading the SS, I noticed two references that I'd skimmed over before...
At the time of their last trip together, Ennis isn't living in Riverton, he's "...in Signal where he was working now for Stoutamire's cow and calf outfit"
and also, "...Ennis was ready to head back to Signal, Jack up to Lightning Flat"

In the movie, he's living, or at least getting his mail, in Riverton at the time of Jack's death. And his trailer is outside of Riverton.

Why the change in the movie from the story do you think?

Could just be a mundane movie-making consideration. They already had "the Riverton Post Office" to film Heath with the returned postcard. It eliminates need for more exposition in the script. I don't seem to remember Signal being mentioned by name after Jack offers to give Ennis a loan when they get to Signal.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2008, 08:34:27 am »
Hey, those posts are great.
Maybe one of the most important messages the film has: that we should never be afraid to love, never miss the opportunity to show it, nor to receive it, and always try to put love before our own pride and material wants?

Sometimes though, thats just so hard to do. :-\
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2008, 11:26:25 am »
Sometimes though, thats just so hard to do. :-\

That is soo right, and pretty well sums up me.It is often easier to toe the party line and as such upset as few people as possible.We all want to be liked as well as loved.In some cases the accepting of one, means the automatic invoking of the other. Very, very difficult.
The other fact that rings through a lot of peoples personal experiences, is that even when trying to do  "the right thing" ultimately you end up being so miserable, that the very people you were trying to protect become wounded all the same.